toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
What is this “let off the gas” you speak of????

D

duratime

Jan 26, 2022
Monterey,CA
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-5
What about downhill? I don't have my P1K5 yet, expecting it in a "couple of weeks". I just got a Pioneer 700 for my ranch hand, which I have only driven about 3 miles myself. I have always bought Yamaha's (quads) before with front diff-lock and in my experience, I taken those down some hills that we so steep, I would use diff-lock for safety and control. Allowing the engine braking on all 4 wheels sometimes has an advantage of using the actual brakes since it tends not to lock up. I have driven a P1K5 before, but it wasn't mine, and I'm not sure I even used 4wd, so I don't really have the experience. Thanks

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don’t know anyone that took one out from that. Ya just like an old truck with a real transfer case, no different. Let off throttle slightly and shift.
Exactly, all the components are already spinning (unless your stuck)….it’s not like your Honda has lockouts on the wheel hubs and the whole front drive train is at rest…

DHS_Officer

DHS_Officer

Jan 14, 2021
Orange County Cal
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have been off-roading for dang near 50 years in everything from a $100,000 sand rail to a $200.00 ;locked up suzuki Samuria.
I do desert, hill climbing, fire roads and rock crawling.
I have yet to find anything my Talon cant get up. I have never been in a spot where I thought, dang I sure wish I had a locker. The IFWD works fantastic. If all four tires are on the ground it delivers equal power. If one tire loses traction it makes an adjustment.

People may be getting winched out or towed out, but it is NOT because of the shortcomings of the Talon. I have no doubt I can take my Talon anywhere a locked Talon can go... and I wont be fighting to steer it...

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Exactly, all the components are already spinning (unless your stuck)….it’s not like your Honda has lockouts on the wheel hubs and the whole front drive train is at rest…
Not so. If you are stopped, the front and rear drive shafts are not spinning, they are stopped. The front and rear differentials are stopped, as are the axles and wheels. Last time I checked, those things were all considered components. If Honda says to stop before shifting, that's what I'm doing. Stopping to shift is way easier and less expensive than stopping to replace components.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is i4wd a lot harder on break pads.
I'm sure brake pad wear is increased some, that only makes sense. As to "a lot harder", I kind of doubt that. When braking to slow or stop, it requires a lot more energy to slow the moving mass of almost a ton of weight. That seems almost insignificant when the i4WD only needs to stop a wheel from spinning that has lost traction. Wear only occurs during the braking phase where the disk is moving against the pads causing friction. There's no wear at all when the wheel is stopped with brake applied.

MuskyHunter

MuskyHunter

Sep 2, 2020
Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don't let someone else's driving mistakes dictate your purchase.

I've already had to pull a Talon out of my woods. The Talon flat out would not climb hills as good as my locked p1000. I did not know the Talon had the same i4wd system as the p1000 but that explains why it wouldn't. It was on factory tires and I have 28" Maxxis on mine so we assumed that was the issue. I guess it could be driver error but all you really need to do is pin it and go straight up. The Talon would lose momentum about half way up and ended up breaking something after trying multiple times.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I've already had to pull a Talon out of my woods. The Talon flat out would not climb hills as good as my locked p1000. I did not know the Talon had the same i4wd system as the p1000 but that explains why it wouldn't. It was on factory tires and I have 28" Maxxis on mine so we assumed that was the issue. I guess it could be driver error but all you really need to do is pin it and go straight up. The Talon would lose momentum about half way up and ended up breaking something after trying multiple times.
It is what it is and that's all I'll say about the I 4WD!

advertisement
Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
I'm sure brake pad wear is increased some, that only makes sense. As to "a lot harder", I kind of doubt that. When braking to slow or stop, it requires a lot more energy to slow the moving mass of almost a ton of weight. That seems almost insignificant when the i4WD only needs to stop a wheel from spinning that has lost traction. Wear only occurs during the braking phase where the disk is moving against the pads causing friction. There's no wear at all when the wheel is stopped with brake applied.
Kinda what I figured.

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Here's the deal. Anything computer control can work great. I had one of the first Jeep Grand Cherokees with the full time quadra trac. It wood climb a tree. I also had a 79 Jeep CJ5 Golden Eagle with a 304 V8. It would climb a tree. The difference, you don't have to know how to drive as well to operater the Cherokee. As long as the computer doesn't go out. Don't get me wrong, I love new tech. When it works it's great but I also like being in full control. Can't help it, I'm old school.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Here's the deal. Anything computer control can work great. I had one of the first Jeep Grand Cherokees with the full time quadra trac. It wood climb a tree. I also had a 79 Jeep CJ5 Golden Eagle with a 304 V8. It would climb a tree. The difference, you don't have to know how to drive as well to operater the Cherokee. As long as the computer doesn't go out. Don't get me wrong, I love new tech. When it works it's great but I also like being in full control. Can't help it, I'm old school.
Your Hat didn't get Big by relying on computers! You can take that to the Bank!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
This is what I and a friend I ride with both experienced on two different Talons. It was a really steep very long climb on a shale hill and momentum was everything. Both times it started out stupid good but towards the top it felt like the machine was limiting itself and were concerned it wasn’t going to make it. The rigs were hunting for traction. Both of us experienced it. Both times locked Pioneers went straight up and never lost rpm’s. I probably won’t go up again when my Talon hits the dirt there however I’ll go up it with Pioneer.
I’ve seen the difference in snow and I have watched my friend in thick mud where one tire in air spinning more then one that was in mud.
Now with the negativity it seems like I have with i-4wd I still think it’s better for some things and it’s more forgiving. If I didn’t think it wasn’t acceptable from all my previous driving of my friends rigs after all my experience behind the wheel of all my diff lock machines I wouldn’t have just bought a Talon in addition to my other Sxs’s. It is fun and very easy to drive, also forgiving. Usually you just have to keep speed up for things to function correctly, even then it is a little different.
The possibility of breaking a drive shaft is less as well. Less traction breaks less. I wish it had a true locker but it’s going to be fine and I’ll adapt. There’s places it’ll shine and places the other machines will shine.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
This is what I and a friend I ride with both experienced on two different Talons. It was a really steep very long climb on a shale hill and momentum was everything. Both times it started out stupid good but towards the top it felt like the machine was limiting itself and were concerned it wasn’t going to make it. The rigs were hunting for traction. Both of us experienced it. Both times locked Pioneers went straight up and never lost rpm’s. I probably won’t go up again when my Talon hits the dirt there however I’ll go up it with Pioneer.
I’ve seen the difference in snow and I have watched my friend in thick mud where one tire in air spinning more then one that was in mud.
Now with the negativity it seems like I have with i-4wd I still think it’s better for some things and it’s more forgiving. If I didn’t think it wasn’t acceptable from all my previous driving of my friends rigs after all my experience behind the wheel of all my diff lock machines I wouldn’t have just bought a Talon in addition to my other Sxs’s. It is fun and very easy to drive, also forgiving. Usually you just have to keep speed up for things to function correctly, even then it is a little different.
The possibility of breaking a drive shaft is less as well. Less traction breaks less. I wish it had a true locker but it’s going to be fine and I’ll adapt. There’s places it’ll shine and places the other machines will shine.
It is what it is!

J80

J80

Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2018
WNC
Has anyone said how the torque locker performs in a talon? I know it turned the little p500 into a beast and I’m sure it would probably do great in a talon also but I’m no mechanic by no means.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not so. If you are stopped, the front and rear drive shafts are not spinning, they are stopped. The front and rear differentials are stopped, as are the axles and wheels. Last time I checked, those things were all considered components. If Honda says to stop before shifting, that's what I'm doing. Stopping to shift is way easier and less expensive than stopping to replace components.
I never said at rest….

when your rig is moving, everything is spinning, front drive shaft is always moving as well as each shaft out of the diff regardless of position the shift lever.

when you are at rest, guess what…it’s all at rest.

The manual system is nearly identical to any old school 4x4 system.

ok to follow the manual..no one disputing that…just that most don’t and have zero problems over several rigs with thousands and thousands of miles and abuse.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Has anyone said how the torque locker performs in a talon? I know it turned the little p500 into a beast and I’m sure it would probably do great in a talon also but I’m no mechanic by no means.
I was dreaming the other night and dreamed I was a Honda engineer when the scandemic started and Honda Corp told me to take the Pioneer and run with it since everything was going to be shut down and there was no better time to do it. So I took the Talon X and put the P1 Deluxe transmission system with the newer motor from the Talon in it, adjustable shocks and 32 inch bead lock wheels and tires on it, with a bed for utility work, I named it Trail Explorer. I was at a awards ceremony getting all kinds of awards, then I woke up. I was so excited to go buy one, then I woke up farther and realized it was just a fantastic dream. I thought that was a Honda dream for sure!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I was dreaming the other night and dreamed I was a Honda engineer when the scandemic started and Honda Corp told me to take the Pioneer and run with it since everything was going to be shut down and there was no better time to do it. So I took the Talon X and put the P1 Deluxe transmission system with the newer motor from the Talon in it, adjustable shocks and 32 inch bead lock wheels and tires on it, with a bed for utility work, I named it Trail Explorer. I was at a awards ceremony getting all kinds of awards, then I woke up. I was so excited to go buy one, then I woke up farther and realized it was just a fantastic dream. I thought that was a Honda dream for sure!

If Smitty335 were an actual engineer.......

FB IMG 1649299718390

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
How people who never have driven a machine with I-4WD think brake traction control works.....

FB IMG 1649301110749

advertisement