P1000 i4wd vs lockers

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It seems to me after reading a lot of the comments. It depends on a person’s trail riding preference and driving abilities. I’ve taken my 2020 Honda P1000-5 places I really didn’t think it would go. And my Honda is stock. That being said, I don’t take my machine places that I look at it and say. “This is gonna hurt or something is gonna break on this run!!!” I don’t want to break stuff. And any SxS can be broken. My wife and I go out and ride. And then stop and watch other people try stuff that we know they’re gonna get stuck or break something! Lol That’s more fun to me and cheaper!!!
A great ride near Moab is Seven Mile Rim. One of the highlights is to stop at Wipeout Hill and watch people break their machines on the rock. The Potato Salad hill is another great watch-em-bust-it site.

Plowboy1466

Plowboy1466

Lifetime Member
Feb 11, 2018
Ashland, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Oh, hold on a sec'. That settles the whole thing, don't it? The i4WD version is ready at ANY time and you don't even have to STOP first!!

Just sayin'!
Wait, I'm supposed to stop to put it in 4wd? If I'm in some sloppy stuff and I know all the wheels aren't spinning the same speed l will. If I'm cruising on a decent trail and see some s*** ahead, I'm sliding it right into 4wd before I get into the s***. Just gotta plan ahead.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wait, I'm supposed to stop to put it in 4wd? If I'm in some sloppy stuff and I know all the wheels aren't spinning the same speed l will. If I'm cruising on a decent trail and see some s*** ahead, I'm sliding it right into 4wd before I get into the s***. Just gotta plan ahead.
Well, the manual does say to stop before shifting. You've Got To Ask Yourself One Question: 'Do I Feel Lucky? ' Well, Do Ya, Punk?

Plowboy1466

Plowboy1466

Lifetime Member
Feb 11, 2018
Ashland, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well, the manual does say to stop before shifting. You've Got To Ask Yourself One Question: 'Do I Feel Lucky? ' Well, Do Ya, Punk?
In my head, as long as everything's turning evenly driving straight, it will mesh together probably better than if you are at a stop. I blew out one diff lock on a JD 4020 when l was young and didn't know any better. l definitely learned my lesson from that.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Of all the commentary and opinion pieces posted in this thread there are a few facts about the Honda I-4WD system that have not been mentioned or outright misrepresented.

When you shift into I-4WD it is a mechanical engagement via the cable shift lever that engages the front prop shaft and front tires.

Even if the I-4WD fault light is on or some electrical failure the machines front tires still pull. Granted it may be 3 wheel drive it certain traction scenarios, it doesn't leave you with 2WD as some hint at with "all the electronics" that can go wrong, just the brake traction control function may not operate as designed.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Just wondering how i4WD or whatever it is called is kind of equivalent to the all wheel drive suv's? If so, no thanks from me.
No, the closest automotive reference is a Subaru designed 4wd system. There is a video/ photos referring to it on another thread on this same I-4WD topic 3+ years ago. That thread has significant good information and even more opinions than this thread, many of which were based on assumptions not knowing how the system functions.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
Of all the commentary and opinion pieces posted in this thread there are a few facts about the Honda I-4WD system that have not been mentioned or outright misrepresented.

When you shift into I-4WD it is a mechanical engagement via the cable shift lever that engages the front prop shaft and front tires.

Even if the I-4WD fault light is on or some electrical failure the machines front tires still pull. Granted it may be 3 wheel drive it certain traction scenarios, it doesn't leave you with 2WD as some hint at with "all the electronics" that can go wrong, just the brake traction control function may not operate as designed.
Correct, but it’s still using brake system to force transfer of power to other wheel exactly like all cheap automotive systems. Load up those pads with mud or snow and it becomes less effective just like automotive systems using the brake pads.

how many Subarus leave the pavement, dirt roads, for the mud holes and snow banks?

advertisement
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Correct, but it’s still using brake system to force transfer of power to other wheel exactly like all cheap automotive systems. Load up those pads with mud or snow and it becomes less effective just like automotive systems using the brake pads.

how many Subarus leave the pavement, dirt roads, for the mud holes and snow banks?
JACKAL 4.5
Vikes 5.0

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

I hear those lesbian rock crawlers are incredible at climbing rocks!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4

Have you ever been to Australia?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
I didn't say a word!
FB IMG 1650288380743

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
For those of you that actually own a machine with i4WD and think it may not be working as good as it should, try the following...
  • Try not to apply the brakes (aka double footing) when climbing in slick conditions when i4WD engages, it throws off the system. If you tend to "double foot" like I did and have your foot on the brake and feel the brake pedal vibrating while trying to accelerate/climb, you and the i4WD are fighting each other. Took me a bit to break that bad habit :)
  • Completely and thoroughly bleed your brakes (front and rear). Jeff Proctor's team discovered that even the smallest amount of air in the system will slow down the motorized application of the front brakes and make i4WD less responsive.
  • Make sure your front bearings are OK. The slightest amount of movement will cause the rotors to "wobble" and the front calipers to collapse and require more motorized brake application and slow i4WD response way down. A warped front rotor will do the same thing.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
For those of you that think the front diff on the i4WD system is open it is absolutely NOT. It does not have side and spider gears like an open diff. The Face Cams (what take the place of the side gears) have ramps/cams and there are 16 followers (aka chicklets) between the face cams. When torque is applied, the followers are what are actually driven and they are wedged against both face cams pushing them out against a cone spring and causing the diff to bind up and force traction to both wheels. It works under the same principal as the Torque Locker just not fully locked. I can best describe it as a forced limited slip. Once this pseudo limited slip starts to slip, i4WD kicks in.

There are tolerances/clearances in the diff carrier that keep the cams and followers under tension/preload and in the process of re-assembling my diff, I found them to be way out of tolerance. The measurement on housing revealed the shimming was off by .4mm and this is causing very little preload on the cam/followers. I have ordered the correct shim and will put it together with the proper clearance per the service manual and see if that enhances the traction even more.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3

3. Talon X
The stock front diff in the Talon is very similar to the OG "Traxlock" that Honda has used in the front diff for the TRX & Foreman line up for many years. I tried to explain this to several people but finally gave up 🤦‍♂️

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The stock front diff in the Talon is very similar to the OG "Traxlock" that Honda has used in the front diff for the TRX & Foreman line up for many years. I tried to explain this to several people but finally gave up 🤦‍♂️
Is the I4WD different on the Pioneers? It doesn't work very well with one front tire off the ground.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3

3. Talon X
No idea, I don't have a P1k so I've never looked. I agree w Paul about bleeding the brakes, that's probably why some have trouble while others never have an issue.

advertisement