P1000 i4wd vs lockers

J80

J80

Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2018
WNC
I think a lot of people drive different and have different terrains so that is probably the different experiences some have.
Then there are some that buy anything and somehow that’s better then anything for all given circumstances from what they say. You see that all the time where people can talk s*** about something but as soon as they buy it the other is crap.
Me, if I drive something I’m completely honest about any problems or positives either way with a rig. You saw that a lot from me originally on the Pioneer until we did the product research for Honda and they product bulletined about 5 things I b****ed about after having issues. Got crucified by the site a couple times as well as Mother Honda calling me up saying bulls***. Didn’t really care just said how it was, even from a rig I truly loved.
Why I say this is because we tend to run things pretty hard and find weaknesses, usually before others for some reason. I tend to be honest about those.
Whether someone wants to hear it or not based off their own experiences I-4wd does not have the traction and is far more likely to fail or have expensive issues.
A brake line busted takes it out, he’ll we had bobwire wrap up around the axle and brake was severed, in Pioneer we continued to ride whole weekend with diff lock and stopping by the superior engine braking in these things.
It’s an open diff front end with slight ability to electronically control. I know you’re an engineer so you like overly complicated designs that aren’t mechanical but that’s exactly what it is.
Now for the average consumer it’s probably better because it’s more idiot proof and you “can shift on the fly” as per Honda. It does have some positives and personally said that myself. Both systems have positive, but for some reason some of the hardcore I-4wd guys say it’s better at everything, that’s just not the case.
It’s good but it’s also different, it’s not the same. I wish I didn’t have to run it, had I never had diff lock I might feel different but I’d still have enough common sense to know and electronically controlled system will have downfalls just like the diff.
Thankfully Honda gave us all a choice on Pioneer, I think that’s so awesome. Buy whichever is best for you. Just wish there were options with Talon. Some of us old school guys that like 4 wheels spinning would’ve loved the machine that much more😉
Well said CP. I have nothing against the I-4WD cause I’ve never driven one but from what I’ve read about them I know the front locker is more for me and my driveway.

Plowboy1466

Plowboy1466

Lifetime Member
Feb 11, 2018
Ashland, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So what's the upload and download speed of your stone tablet, hammer and chisel? (Asking for dang near everyone!). :)
So when I'm planting crops this spring and sink, do I want to know if I'm stuck or really f##cing stuck. I know if I lock in the rear differential on my 2wd tractor that I've got a lot better chance of making it.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
More on topic . . . I have i4WD on my SE. The biggest disadvantage I see is that some of the driveline parts don't lend themselves to the lift it and go wading mods thing - though as Honda sells more of them, aftermarket will probably catch up. I would have been happy with either front diff lock or what I have. Both would work fine for me. That said, it is a nice option to be able to shift to i4WD and leave it there, as the terrain changes from not needed to glad it's there. There's no disadvantage in driving and handling and better still, no need to stop and lock/un-lock the front diff when conditions dictate. I'm fairly new at this, but I'm not disappointed in i4WD yet.

"Boy's have penis's and girls have vagina's."

Okay, but speaking for just my own self, I find i4WD and vagina's fascinating. I think.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I think a lot of people drive different and have different terrains so that is probably the different experiences some have.
Then there are some that buy anything and somehow that’s better then anything for all given circumstances from what they say. You see that all the time where people can talk s*** about something but as soon as they buy it the other is crap.
Me, if I drive something I’m completely honest about any problems or positives either way with a rig. You saw that a lot from me originally on the Pioneer until we did the product research for Honda and they product bulletined about 5 things I b****ed about after having issues. Got crucified by the site a couple times as well as Mother Honda calling me up saying bulls***. Didn’t really care just said how it was, even from a rig I truly loved.
Why I say this is because we tend to run things pretty hard and find weaknesses, usually before others for some reason. I tend to be honest about those.
Whether someone wants to hear it or not based off their own experiences I-4wd does not have the traction and is far more likely to fail or have expensive issues.
A brake line busted takes it out, he’ll we had bobwire wrap up around the axle and brake was severed, in Pioneer we continued to ride whole weekend with diff lock and stopping by the superior engine braking in these things.
It’s an open diff front end with slight ability to electronically control. I know you’re an engineer so you like overly complicated designs that aren’t mechanical but that’s exactly what it is.
Now for the average consumer it’s probably better because it’s more idiot proof and you “can shift on the fly” as per Honda. It does have some positives and personally said that myself. Both systems have positive, but for some reason some of the hardcore I-4wd guys say it’s better at everything, that’s just not the case.
It’s good but it’s also different, it’s not the same. I wish I didn’t have to run it, had I never had diff lock I might feel different but I’d still have enough common sense to know and electronically controlled system will have downfalls just like the diff.
Thankfully Honda gave us all a choice on Pioneer, I think that’s so awesome. Buy whichever is best for you. Just wish there were options with Talon. Some of us old school guys that like 4 wheels spinning would’ve loved the machine that much more😉
Does this get me out of the dog house now?

Plowboy1466

Plowboy1466

Lifetime Member
Feb 11, 2018
Ashland, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
More on topic . . . I have i4WD on my SE. The biggest disadvantage I see is that some of the driveline parts don't lend themselves to the lift it and go wading mods thing - though as Honda sells more of them, aftermarket will probably catch up. I would have been happy with either front diff lock or what I have. Both would work fine for me. That said, it is a nice option to be able to shift to i4WD and leave it there, as the terrain changes from not needed to glad it's there. There's no disadvantage in driving and handling and better still, no need to stop and lock/un-lock the front diff when conditions dictate. I'm fairly new at this, but I'm not disappointed in i4WD yet.

"Boy's have penis's and girls have vagina's."

Okay, but speaking for just my own self, I find i4WD and vagina's fascinating. I think.
I just find vagina's fascinating. They're always different and easy to use, almost like 4wd....:)

advertisement
MuskyHunter

MuskyHunter

Sep 2, 2020
Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the Limited edition that came with the i4wd and I've never had a problem in mud or steep climbing, cause it transfers power away from whatever tire starts to spin and back to it as needed.
What if you need power to both front wheels at the same time. I think that's my hang up with this system. If I understand correctly I don't think it can do that.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
What if you need power to both front wheels at the same time. I think that's my hang up with this system. If I understand correctly I don't think it can do that.
The video back in post 112 shows both fronts spinning. That looks like some greasy s***, I imagine even a full locker would have trouble without a bit of momentum.

I like the i4wd in my Talon but I’m not delusional enough to think ‘someday’ Imma not wish I had a locker up front. :eek: That hasn’t happened in 8k miles BUT I‘m usually solo and can’t do stupit s*** without a backup buggy.

Last edited:
M

MKelly Dixon

Jun 8, 2021
Niota, Tn.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It seems to me after reading a lot of the comments. It depends on a person’s trail riding preference and driving abilities. I’ve taken my 2020 Honda P1000-5 places I really didn’t think it would go. And my Honda is stock. That being said, I don’t take my machine places that I look at it and say. “This is gonna hurt or something is gonna break on this run!!!” I don’t want to break stuff. And any SxS can be broken. My wife and I go out and ride. And then stop and watch other people try stuff that we know they’re gonna get stuck or break something! Lol That’s more fun to me and cheaper!!!

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
😆😆😆😆 your welcome.

advertisement