P1000 I have to know...

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Little hard filming and driving so I looked a bit like a dunce :)

Took video of my drive. You may get s bit dizzy... It's 8 1/2 mins long. Which is how long it takes to make the complete loop.

I normally go much slower but didn't want u guys thinking I was a wuss so I went faster!

I label them by when they were dug. So last road on video with shooting range is actually first road and first road u see at start is second road and turnaround up is third road.

Echo was not an issue. Even doors open and closed didn't help much.

But high vs low? Big difference. Maybe 50% improvement but let's say a 42% improvement...

And surprisingly high got me up my most severe upramp with little noticeable difference.

So solution is high range whenever possible and maybe insulation which I will attack very soon.

Oh well. Been like 30 mins and video just won't upload. Could be my crappy service in the middle of nowhere or the website.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Little hard filming and driving so I looked a bit like a dunce :)

Took video of my drive. You may get s bit dizzy... It's 8 1/2 mins long. Which is how long it takes to make the complete loop.

I normally go much slower but didn't want u guys thinking I was a wuss so I went faster!

I label them by when they were dug. So last road on video with shooting range is actually first road and first road u see at start is second road and turnaround up is third road.

Echo was not an issue. Even doors open and closed didn't help much.

But high vs low? Big difference. Maybe 50% improvement but let's say a 42% improvement...

And surprisingly high got me up my most severe upramp with little noticeable difference.

So solution is high range whenever possible and maybe insulation which I will attack very soon.

Oh well. Been like 30 mins and video just won't upload. Could be my crappy service in the middle of nowhere or the website.
42 percent is huge! We try not to run in low very often it is louder for sure. You should be able after driving it for awhile to know when you lugging it so just stay away from that. Probably easier on it to not shift as much as you said it did. Now try the insulation from @Bayouownbeer and you'll be a little better

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
42 percent is huge! We try not to run in low very often it is louder for sure. You should be able after driving it for awhile to know when you lugging it so just stay away from that. Probably easier on it to not shift as much as you said it did. Now try the insulation from @Bayouownbeer and you'll be a little better

Well I said 42% as a joke because the gearing is 42% different between low and high :)

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Worth adding is didn't have to put in MT because auto in high, doesn't shift at all like auto in low.

Each gear carried much longer so didn't have that constant back and forth, up and down like in low auto which helped tremendously also.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
So is it better??

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Oh yeah, def! Wasn't joking about the improvement, just the % :)

Since I said 50 it made sense that since the gearing is 42% lower in low range that the noise would be equivalent to that also for tranny / engine whine.

No doubt it's still a noisy vehicle. But the insulation has to be a plus. But then, why didn't Honda use it? Maybe they want that heat to dissipate, I don't know.

But I'm going to use something diff. Something that's sound proof material vs heat shield.

I use seat cushions in mine. I like a soft seat ( posted a pic earlier thread) and I have yet to experience any sort of heat issue at all since using cushions :)

Takes the heat and makes its disappear!

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oh yeah, def! Wasn't joking about the improvement, just the % :)

Since I said 50 it made sense that since the gearing is 42% lower in low range that the noise would be equivalent to that also for tranny / engine whine.

No doubt it's still a noisy vehicle. But the insulation has to be a plus. But then, why didn't Honda use it? Maybe they want that heat to dissipate, I don't know.

But I'm going to use something diff. Something that's sound proof material vs heat shield.

I use seat cushions in mine. I like a soft seat ( posted a pic earlier thread) and I have yet to experience any sort of heat issue at all since using cushions :)

Takes the heat and makes its disappear!
Check out Dynamat for sound proof material. It might be what your looking for.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Check out Dynamat for sound proof material. It might be what your looking for.

Just did, looks like good stuff. Thanks!

I think I will make this my first real contribution to the site.

Entitled "Noise proofing the P1000"

I will try many diff things and take this on as a serious project and suspect should take me a couple weeks to try many diff methods and see what's the best solution.

I love a good challenge :)

Will only post the finished project! And I will find a viable solution!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Do the heavy diff fluid you'll like that. Sounds like a great project for you I'm excited to see what you come up with. It's cool people are willing to try things and report back that helps this site be what it is.

Reactions: Plumber101010
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just did, looks like good stuff. Thanks!

I think I will make this my first real contribution to the site.

Entitled "Noise proofing the P1000"

I will try many diff things and take this on as a serious project and suspect should take me a couple weeks to try many diff methods and see what's the best solution.

I love a good challenge :)

Will only post the finished project! And I will find a viable solution!
I've also herd of people that have got some cans of spray on bedliner and took off and sprayed the top of the factory skid, and under the cab top. I'm sure it's very time consuming to do it right so it don't end up looking like crap?

advertisement
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've also herd of people that have got some cans of spray on bedliner and took off and sprayed the top of the factory skid, and under the cab top. I'm sure it's very time consuming to do it right so it don't end up looking like crap?

I would be hesitant to do anything that's permanent and non removable until I'm sure it works! And something like that you wouldn't be able to tell until you did it and it was too late.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would be hesitant to do anything that's permanent and non removable until I'm sure it works! And something like that you wouldn't be able to tell until you did it and it was too late.
That's true. I would never do it.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Yes I did that it helps some but not as mush as I'd hoped. A heavier layer then I did would be better I just went two cans because I've tried to keep high weight down. The prep is no big deal. Undercoat would work best but I used chip guard (much like bed liner) as it's easier to wash.

Last edited:
Reactions: sharp
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Download Db Meter app to your phone. This will give you the opportunity to get a close reading on the difference of the sound levels you are trying to compare. Take a reading before/after. It'll at least give a base to what you're trying to accomplish. I will take some readings too. If you have an iPhone you can screen shot the pics. Image

Reactions: sharp
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Unbelievable u said that!!!

We must be thinking the same thing at the same time.

Was just on Amazon looking for a noise meter :)

Looks like maybe I can get that for free, I never thought of a phone app!

How accurate is it?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Fairly. But any can be off a bit however it should be off the same percentage throughout so it'll still show pretty close the change. And it's free my friend which is always good

Reactions: Plumber101010
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Make sure you have no case on and phone is placed same spot maybe you can place it where your ears would be bad try to have the rig sitting in the same spot away from things at the same approximate temperature but ya I think it would be good enough

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
We are not alone that is for sure!

The first thing I am doing is scanning other forums for other brands and seeing if they had similar issues and if any conquered the problem.

Unbelievably, most are recommending a "don't bother trying" attitude and use a intercom systems to communicate with your rider and play music through as a way around the noise!

To think that I'm complaining and others the noise is so loud they say give it up and wear an intercom talk to your rider?

Mine is not so loud I can't talk to somebody sitting next to me..

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
From all I've seen the pk1 is very quiet! But I'm always down for better. I think Honda people demand more. We don't stop at dependably. We're definitely a different group and I'm proud to be a part of that group. I think Honda in general is like that. Other manufacturers just say "more power" Honda asks can we do it. I'm totally down with your quest. If you make this as quiet as a Lexus well then even cooler! I've got what are called q-pads and they are for sound deadening on cars kind of like dynomat. I'll put them in since I already have them. Come up with more things make it b****in

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
This has become more than a quest, it's now an obsession. I don't care how much it cost, I'm going to try a ride variety of things (pun intended) and I'm not going to stop until I can get the noise as quiet as possible!

Sooner or later, this will be the perfect UTV to me :)

advertisement