The pro has a lot more power but it's still kinda caveman

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
One of my best friends has the smallest Mule (600 I think) and it rides like a buck board and doesn't have enough power to get out of its own way.

It was awful quiet in that video but then again who knows in reality.

Yes Jbird, I owned a 500 and I def wanted maximum power. That was the first lesson learned. The 500 was not enough.

I have way too severe a climb AND a climb with quite the load of rock. Rock (base) is very heavy and I am almost positive that what I think is 1000 pounds is probably 1500.

One thing I know and it is the vast majority of the reason I chose the Honda, was I wanted power and lots of it!

And in that category? Well, it's obviously the king of beers :) Simply incredible. It's the number one requirement on my list by FAR.

Because at the end of the day, it's a work vehicle. It's a "UTILITY" vehicle and if I can't climb up the side of a mountain with a 1000 pound load of rock, then it's useless to me, regardless of how quiet it is.

Doesn't mean I won't stop in my search for perfection and slowly and gradually tweak and modify and transform this thing into exactly what I want! Hopefully..

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
One of my best friends has the smallest Mule (600 I think) and it rides like a buck board and doesn't have enough power to get out of its own way.

This is a newly redesigned Mule (2015 redesign IIRC). Completely different than the old ones. It has a 3 cylinder automobile engine (why it is so quiet and balanced) with similar suspension to a Teryx without the nice Fox shocks though. Completely different than the old Mules. However it doesn't have a front locker and it is really long.

I don't think it is as nice as the P1000 but it is MUCH quieter.

Reactions: Plumber101010
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
One day, maybe one day, they will all get together, they will all share ideas, and they will make the one, perfectly balanced UTV.

Three cylinder automobile engine? Very very very smart. Power combined with quiet!

Yet why they missed the locker is beyond my understanding!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
It was awful quiet in that video but then again who knows in reality.

Yes Jbird, I owned a 500 and I def wanted maximum power. That was the first lesson learned. The 500 was not enough.

I have way too severe a climb AND a climb with quite the load of rock. Rock (base) is very heavy and I am almost positive that what I think is 1000 pounds is probably 1500.

One thing I know and it is the vast majority of the reason I chose the Honda, was I wanted power and lots of it!

And in that category? Well, it's obviously the king of beers :) Simply incredible. It's the number one requirement on my list by FAR.

Because at the end of the day, it's a work vehicle. It's a "UTILITY" vehicle and if I can't climb up the side of a mountain with a 1000 pound load of rock, then it's useless to me, regardless of how quiet it is.

Doesn't mean I won't stop in my search for perfection and slowly and gradually tweak and modify and transform this thing into exactly what I want! Hopefully..
You are on a quest my friend! It's a good thing you're on here lots of great minds at play.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I actually drive by a Kawi dealer on my way home from work. It is the one that has the mini test track out back. One day this week, if it isn't raining, I am going to stop by there and see if they will let me do a test drive of one and I will report back on the comparison between that and the P1000 and the Teryx since I rode them both on that same track.

If it had a front locker and wasn't nearly as long as my trailer, I would be much more interested.

If the Pioneer was as quiet and didn't have the seat heat, I would have already bought one. :)

It also doesn't seem to have the @CumminsPusher swamping problem. Air intake is under the back seat according to my research. No way I would do this and who knows if it had problems later, but it didn't hydro lock.

Skip to about a minute in or so.

ETA:

And, he did it at least one more time earlier that day, in high gear in his other videos!:eek:

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Hey mine won't have any more problems:)

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Don't see myself ever going through water as high up as I am. But truth be told, I would still put a snorkel system on it if didn't look so dang ugly. I know I know. I'm particular what can I say :)

I really wanted the diesel which is why I was looking at the Kawasaki earlier. I heard nothing but how indestructible the Mule was and how people had a slew of miles on them and 10 years old and they just kept on ticking like a Timex (only old-timers will get that saying)

Because I am a bit of a prepper, I keep a good little bit of diesel gas around and of course my truck is a diesel. So it just makes sense to only have one fuel source.

But the older I get and the older my supplies get, I start to wonder how many more years I have left anyway and what the heck I'm prepping for to begin with!

I'm going to be dead an infinite amount of time longer than I was alive, so prepping for death has become more and more of a priority for me. That's why I am a Christian...with guns all the same :)

J

Jakey

May 30, 2016
San Francisco Bay Area
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have ridden and driven the mule pro. It is only similar to the regular mule in name. They are big, and heavy, but the bed it GIANT when the back seat is forward. It is also super smooth, quiet, and good riding. I do wish they had a better seating than the front bench setup. I can't find any problems people have had, and most owners rave about it. Honestly, when I saw the Mule pro, I thought it was perfect, albeit a bit big. Then the P700 came out, and I love Honda, so I looked hard at those, but decided the 3 speed and no low range was a deal breaker. Then the P1000 arrived, and it seemed to have been dropped from heaven. It turns out now, not as much so as I thought. I have found myself back looking at the Mule Pro seriously again, and the 700 as well. I sure hope Honda has a big surprise for us come July.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I should have mentioned that but failed to.

The reason I never got the Kawasaki Mule, which was actually on my list right next to the 1000 (even and parallel) was because I was told that the indestructible "mule" I wanted no longer existed and it had been totally redesigned and updated.

And that was one of my life's rules. Never buy any first year production model or newly redesigned model. That applies across the board from appliances to vehicles to motorcycles to computers to just about anything. ALWAYS wait for them to circulate a few years so they can correct any problems and kinks, which they all have, but at least wait till second year run.

However, this purchase was in contradiction to another life rule. That is, don't get stuck with outdated technology when the baddest and best has already been released from someone. Buy it and be a few steps ahead of the game.

It wasn't the "too good to ignore" reviews, even though they all knocked me out of my socks, because most magazines have good reviews on the products they review because of advertising dollars.

What sold me was the "next generation that all will soon follow." It was the fact that the 1000 was very unique and creative and Honda had punched through the veil of commonality and fulfilled the needs amd requests of UTV enthusiasts and finally come out with something that was truly welcome. And all the reviews backed that up!

I had already spent misdirected money, $8000, on the Massimo 500. I could not afford to make a second mistake. I did not want to buy something that two or three years from now would be avaialble as a Honda clone anyway and be kicking myself in the butt!

advertisement
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I should have mentioned that but failed to.

The reason I never got the Kawasaki Mule, which was actually on my list right next to the 1000 (even and parallel) was because I was told that the indestructible "mule" I wanted no longer existed and it had been totally redesigned and updated.

And that was one of my life's rules. Never buy any first year production model or newly redesigned model. That applies across the board from appliances to vehicles to motorcycles to computers to just about anything. ALWAYS wait for them to circulate a few years so they can correct any problems and kinks, which they all have, but at least wait till second year run.

However, this purchase was in contradiction to another life rule. That is, don't get stuck with outdated technology when the baddest and best has already been released from someone. Buy it and be a few steps ahead of the game.

It wasn't the "too good to ignore" reviews, even though they all knocked me out of my socks, because most magazines have good reviews on the products they review because of advertising dollars.

What sold me was the "next generation that all will soon follow." It was the fact that the 1000 was very unique and creative and Honda had punched through the veil of commonality and fulfilled the needs amd requests of UTV enthusiasts and finally come out with something that was truly welcome. And all the reviews backed that up!

I had already spent misdirected money, $8000, on the Massimo 500. I could not afford to make a second mistake. I did not want to buy something that two or three years from now would be avaialble as a Honda clone anyway and be kicking myself in the butt!

You have some very "interesting" logic about things.:D

So you didn't buy the Mule because it was "newly redesigned" even though it has been in it's current form since at least 2014 (IIRC it was the 2015 model year release, but might have been earlier) by a company that has been making side x sides in one form or another for as long as or possibly longer than just about anybody else using a "known" tech (CVT) that is pretty much the "standard" , if inferior, in the industry using an engine made by an automobile manufacturer that is well known for that type of engine.

Instead, you buy a brand newly designed, first model year unit with a yet to be proven in a SXS technology (DCT), with a recently designed, newly tuned 999cc engine out of a motorcycle, by a company that has really only been making SXS for less than 10 years and only recently started making more than a single model which was widely heralded as the biggest market flop ever by that company because you don't want to be left behind on technology that hasn't really changed and can't change that much until the advent of anti-grav technology. o_O

Did you buy Beta Max, Laser Discs, or HD DVD players?:D;)

I think the P1000 is a great machine, and I think that it has great potential, and I might even wind up buying one myself, but I don't understand your logic at purchasing based on your given "rules."

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You have some very "interesting" logic about things.:D

So you didn't buy the Mule because it was "newly redesigned" even though it has been in it's current form since at least 2014 (IIRC it was the 2015 model year release, but might have been earlier) by a company that has been making side x sides in one form or another for as long as or possibly longer than just about anybody else using a "known" tech (CVT) that is pretty much the "standard" , if inferior, in the industry using an engine made by an automobile manufacturer that is well known for that type of engine.

Instead, you buy a brand newly designed, first model year unit with a yet to be proven in a SXS technology (DCT), with a recently designed, newly tuned 999cc engine out of a motorcycle, by a company that has really only been making SXS for less than 10 years and only recently started making more than a single model which was widely heralded as the biggest market flop ever by that company because you don't want to be left behind on technology. o_O

Did you buy Beta Max, Laser Discs, or HD DVD players?:D;)

I think the P1000 is a great machine, and I think that it has great potential, and I might even wind up buying one myself, but I don't understand your logic at purchasing based on your given "rules."

LMAO!!!

That's the problem with writing, you would have to write a novel to list everything. I try to write in condensed form, and even then it's long-winded!!

To go further so you would understand, the ONLY reason the Mule was a consideration was because of it's proven results in the field and reliability and because of all the reviews I read about how it was indestructible. In short RELIABLE. That was pretty much it.

The Honda however, was on my list because of a whole slew of OTHER things. The transmission, powerful engine, blah blah blah. In short POWER.

There was no way to determine even have a two-year-old model of what the long-term reliability was going to be and so to me it was simply a risk. If I was going to take a risk, I was going to risk it with the new technology and better reviews :)

Power could be proven but reliability could
not

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I NEVER EVER for any reason buy a first year model. I think it's haphazard and fool-hearted and...wait...dammit I did. Must've been something to do with a Honda with gobs of power, usable payload capacity and no belts! And it had 4 doors,small wheel base,paddles,locking front and rear,low range,and 6 speed DCT with auto/sport/manual modes...I'm ok again. Well I broke my second rule. Glad I didn't break my first one! (don't buy anything other then a Honda) :)

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I NEVER EVER for any reason buy a first year model. I think it's haphazard and fool-hearted and...wait...dammit I did. Must've been something to do with a Honda with gobs of power, usable payload capacity and no belts! And it had 4 doors,small wheel base,paddles,locking front and rear,low range,and auto/sport/manual modes...I'm ok again. Well I broke my second rule. Glad I didn't break my first one! (don't buy anything other then a Honda) :)

ROFLMAO! Yep. Exactly. Thanks for doing a shorter version of why I broke my rule!

Reactions: CumminsPusher
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Funny as I just got my first warning light at 20 hours to do my first service but I've only got 25 miles. Guess that gives you an idea how slow I go :)

Wondering if I should wait to put more mileage on it? Of course I'm going to use Amsoil but I will use Honda Dino first go round as has been recommended here.

But VERY anxious to get synthetic in there to see if a diff. Will use it for differentials but not engine. I'll wait till second service for that.

The 20 hours is hour that the ignition key is switched on, I piddled with my P500 so much ( adding more accessories) after adding the Bluetooth soundbar my 20 hour light came on with 7 miles on it :)

Back on your first post, I have had no problem in Low range driving in 2nd gear at 7-12 mph without revving the engine in manual mode, true enough you slow down it will automatically go back to 1st gear but flip the paddle you are back in second. The Honda is far quieter than the other 1000 machines with a CVT as you would really get the rpms going to spin it up for acceleration even just to 10 mph. just experiment with H & L range in manual mode until you find the sweet spot, surely with the trails you describe another 3 mph slower in 1st gear will work better than shifting back and forth. I never had an issue driving 90% in 2nd gear low in the TN mountains in the approx. 10 mph range and never felt is was running high RPM especially after coming from a RZR800.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Good job:) hey how'd stuff go you find out anything more?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV