P1000 first ride, not happy

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kenner

Jul 27, 2014
OK, Just got back from our first ride in my 2018 Pioneer 1000 LE 3P.
Not happy , it was so hot we could not wait to get out of machine, it was only 77 degrees but inside of cab I think it was 100 degrees.
My wife does not like it at all, she says keep my general and sell the Honda.
If I could get a decent offer I think I would sell it. I have 22,300.00 with all the factory accessories on it.
A total of 55 miles.
kenner

PLEASE email me for pictures, I can not figure out how to get them on the forum, must be old age.
kenner

[email protected]

Last edited:
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Not happy , it was so hot we could not wait to get out of machine, it was only 77 degrees but inside of cab I think it was 100 degrees.
If I could get a decent offer I think I would sell it. I have 22,300.00 with all the factory accessories on it.
A total of 55 miles.
kenner
Post a pic. What accessories are on it?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Remington
mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Really? While we do notice some seat heat.. mainly at the back of the bottom pad.. that will be rectified with a fan and maybe a bit more insulation.
We love ours.

Dont' get me wrong, the General is a sweet machine. I looked at it pretty hard as my wife works at a multi line dealership.. I just couldn't get past the reliability reputation of the brand. But if you've had good luck... ride what works for ya.

what in factory stuff did you put on it to get to 22300? You must have put a full windshield & doors on it..

Last edited:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A total of 55 miles.
kenner

You have a windshield on it?

If you have a windshield on in the summer it’s HOT even in the 70’s, there’s just no airflow around it.

I take my cab off completely when it starts to be consistently above 60.

I have a BugBuster brand windscreen and it works great for bugs and big chunks of debris.

K

kenner

Jul 27, 2014
Hello :::::
I do not have any pictures yet, I'll try to get some tomorrow.
Here is a list of factory Honda accessories I have, had the dealer install a 4000 LB. Warn winch with synthetic rope, hard top full front glass windshield, rear panel with sliding glass window, Honda side view mirrors, rear view mirror, electric windshield wiper kit,factory honda horn and wiring kit, factory rear bumper.
I think that is all of it that I remember.
kenner

Last edited:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is a list of factory Honda accessories I have, had the dealer install a 4000 LB. Warn winch with synthetic rope, hard top full front glass windshield, rear panel with sliding glass window, Honda side view mirrors, rear view mirror, electric windshield wiper kit,factory honda horn and wiring kit.
kenner

Remove the cab be a lot cooler.... a LOT

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is a list of factory Honda accessories I have, had the dealer install a 4000 LB. Warn winch with synthetic rope, hard top full front glass windshield, rear panel with sliding glass window, Honda side view mirrors, rear view mirror, electric windshield wiper kit,factory honda horn and wiring kit.
kenner
What that cab on there... it is going to be nice in the winter but I bet your roasting in the summer.. did you have a cab like that on your general?

Mossy

Mossy

Apr 30, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R
kenner
GET RID OF THE GLASS WINDSHIELD!!!!
I have one and makes your P1K feel like a convection oven.
Get a split windshield and remove the rear panel for warm weather.

K

kenner

Jul 27, 2014
Yes, have full cab on general also.
kenner

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'll say it again...
These thing were meant to be OPEN. Wind shields, cabs and all that s*** are for cold weather.
The general isn't effected as much because of the rearward engine placement that isn't possible with the rear seats on the 5 seater pioneer. Your 3 seater shares the platform, so it is built the same.

advertisement
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yes, have full cab on general also.
kenner

If you can ride the general with full cab and not get hot props to them. Let me say that yes there is heat that comes up between the bottom and rear of the seat, and without any fixes yes it can get real hot. It sucks paying that kind of money and it not being perfect. Unfortunately a perfect machine doesn't seem to exist. Honda has a bit of a remedy but it could be better. I have a double layer of foil faced insulation under my seat and it wraps all the way up the back of the seat. There is ZERO heat coming though. It is as cool as any other part of the cab. Now, in the summer time with the doors on and even a 1/2 windshield, roof, and rear panel it is HOT. There is just not enough air moving in the cab. It just does not circulate at all. I take the doors, windshield and rear panel all off. I only leave the top. Then I can ride it all day and not get hot.

I wouldn't get rid of it just yet but if you do decide to sell it shoot me a pm.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll say it again...
These thing were meant to be OPEN. Wind shields, cabs and all that s*** are for cold weather.
The general isn't effected as much because of the rearward engine placement that isn't possible with the rear seats on the 5 seater pioneer. Your 3 seater shares the platform, so it is built the same.

^^^^^^^
||||||||||

What he said!

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
We run a short shield, and no back enclosure at all. Just like we had on our Yamaha Viking.
The Pioneer motor is further forward, like most Can ams, & other machines. Hence, more heat from the motor.
Look around on this site & see what others have done to remedy the heat issue and you’ll find that it doesn’t take much to fix your issue.
There is a member on here that just passed 14,000 miles on his P1000 with nothing but proper maintenance. Good luck getting that kind of service out of a Polaris..

The perfect side by side does not exist at this point. All have strengths & weaknesses. Pioneer strengths are build quality and reliability. Yamaha, the same.. except they don’t offer the kind of performance of the 1000 Honda.

Polaris seems to focus on performance first, with reliability and longevity a distant second.

Don’t make any hasty decisions. Look around first.
The Pioneer is an awesome machine.. particularly since you have an 18.. it has the latest upgrades.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had the full cab on my 700 and it was not easily removable and I suffered in hot humid summers down here in south.

I made my glass windshield on my 1000 easy to remove and have a soft mid panel instead of hard panel I had on 700.

Hard roof stays and it radiates some heat on a bright sunny day, but with nothing blocking the airflow it’s not bad when you’re moving.

There is a lot of heat you’re on top of because of the shared platform with the 5 seat and it being a “utility” model. The rear mounted engine radiates heat behind you instead of under you.

Don’t sell it just take the cab off it’s much more pleasant.

The glass windshield with wiper, soft doors and soft mid panel can be on or off in under 30 mins easy.

Fa4ef9fa61ac82e6744bef3a614ff739

Bbacb6cb0123254505db8044376aaf63

K

kenner

Jul 27, 2014
Thanks for all the insight, I hear you on Honda quality verses Polaris, in my lifetime I have owned almost all of the big names in ATV and SXS's.
Honda has the best quality for sure. I do like the General as well.
I'm not the type of person that removes a bunch of items to go riding, so that is not an option for me.
My wife does not want to keep the Honda, her words not mine, happy wife happy life.
kenner

Reactions: Hondasxs
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I sell that piece of s*** to @Cuoutdoors for Penney’s on the dollar and be rid of the heatache!
Heatache...that's funny.
@kenner, not trying to bust your chops, but these are much more big ATV's than little SUV's. NVH seems to be the next big focus.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
My family farm has a mule with the full cab (all black too). It’s like riding in a microwave in the summer.

My rigs have been known to loose everything but the roof for summer.

I like the Honda split window. Removing it is a 5min operation tops.

I’ve never understood the need for a full glass window. I like a cab for winter but that’s it.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My family farm has a mule with the full cab (all black too). It’s like riding in a microwave in the summer.

My rigs have been known to loose everything but the roof for summer.

I like the Honda split window. Removing it is a 5min operation tops.

I’ve never understood the need for a full glass window. I like a cab for winter but that’s it.

There’s no NEED for it, but for lazy people like me it’s great.

Glass window and wiper are GREAT for lazy people who don’t want to carefully clean the plastic windshield constantly if it’s dusty and muddy or who want to see when it’s raining or snowing.

I do have to have one of those 12v 200w defrosters mounted to it and aimed right in front of me in winter. It fogs up bad even using the rain-x anti-fog, dust gets on the inside and the condensation has something to stick to.

70985c97c2a98e867476687c5063beee
6fb787b358a4a07b15591f8a1b3b7b01

Everyone made fun of me for having a washer installed till they used all their water bottles and still scratched their windshield.

Mine get stripped of the cab when it starts to get warm enough there’s no windchill. There’s just NO airflow behind the windshield.

Reactions: JTW and Mudwing
advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.