P1000 Electrical Help

D

DRB

Oct 28, 2015
Does anyone know if there's a simple way to access swiched power for accessories such as light bars, winches, etc?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Does anyone know if there's a simple way to access swiched power for accessories such as light bars, winches, etc?
There is a spot for an additional battery goes right in what I do is leave the factory stuff alone run a 80 amp relay from stock battery to new battery Run the trigger for the relay to any accessory that turns on with key then simply run everything to that new battery. That way you'll never have a dead start battery any messed up factory electronics and to be absolutely honest with you it's easier it's easy to screw something up the other way and this does have a computer :-(

D

DRB

Oct 28, 2015
There is a spot for an additional battery goes right in what I do is leave the factory stuff alone run a 80 amp relay from stock battery to new battery Run the trigger for the relay to any accessory that turns on with key then simply run everything to that new battery. That way you'll never have a dead start battery any messed up factory electronics and to be absolutely honest with you it's easier it's easy to screw something up the other way and this does have a computer :-(
How big is the space for the additional battery? I currently own a RZR 800 and have installed a full size Optima battery.

D

DRB

Oct 28, 2015
How big is the space for the additional battery? I currently own a RZR 800 and have installed a full size Optima battery.
I appreciate your help, and the way you have wired the extra battery is a great idea.

D

DRB

Oct 28, 2015

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
View attachment 7193
This battery is the one I'm using its agm(best at vibrations and abuse like an optima) cheap can be mounted any direction except upside down will never spill and is a damn huge upgrade to stock. Since both batteries are a foot from each other wiring is simply and under one spot. So much easier then it was in the 700. Same setup I used in the 700. Battery disconnect relay in eBay is about 15$. Including wiring and everything you could have a second battery setup for around $90:)View attachment 7193

Last edited:
D

DRB

Oct 28, 2015
View attachment 7195 View attachment 7193 View attachment 7194 This battery is the one I'm using its agm(best at vibrations and abuse like an optima) cheap can be mounted any direction except upside down will never spill and is a damn huge upgrade to stock. Since both batteries are a foot from each other wiring is simply and under one spot. So much easier then it was in the 700. Same setup I used in the 700. Battery disconnect relay in eBay is about 15$. Including wiring and everything you could have a second battery setup for around $90:)View attachment 7193
This is great information. I have another use for the Optima battery, so it won't just set around and get old. I saved the original battery from the Rzr, so I'll just reinstall it for trade-in or sell. I really like the idea of not messing with the existing wiring system for any of my accessories. I am waiting on a camo 1000 that supposedly will be delivered to my local dealer sometime around November 18. Again, I very much appreciate your help.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
This is great information. I have another use for the Optima battery, so it won't just set around and get old. I saved the original battery from the Rzr, so I'll just reinstall it for trade-in or sell. I really like the idea of not messing with the existing wiring system for any of my accessories. I am waiting on a camo 1000 that supposedly will be delivered to my local dealer sometime around November 18. Again, I very much appreciate your help.
Absolutely no problem I'm glad you found it useful it does work out really nice this way I've been in the automotive industry for years and 90% of the time this when I see electrical problems on a rig it's because someone install something that went haywire i'm pretty good at wiring but at the same time I don't like tapping into factory stock it never worked out quite as well as you would hope. What's on this rig it's a great little spot for the battery that doesn't take up any room gives you full access to everything and you'll never have a dead battery :) if you have lots of accessories this setup is the one I chose. It keeps thins very clean fully water proof has 5 relays 10 fuses is totally wired so super easy very nice setup looked long time. Honda set is only 4 dedicated switches this is better and 10. Little more work but again never a dead battery and pretty easy at 1/4 the cash:)

Last edited:
D

DRB

Oct 28, 2015
View attachment 7200 View attachment 7201
Absolutely no problem I'm glad you found it useful it does work out really nice this way I've been in the automotive industry for years and 90% of the time this when I see electrical problems on a rig it's because someone install something that went haywire i'm pretty good at wiring but at the same time I don't like tapping into factory stock it never worked out quite as well as you would hope. What's on this rig it's a great little spot for the battery that doesn't take up any room gives you full access to everything and you'll never have a dead battery :) if you have lots of accessories this setup is the one I chose. It keeps thins very clean fully water proof has 5 relays 10 fuses is totally wired so super easy very nice setup looked long time. Honda set is only 4 dedicated switches this is better and 10. Little more work but again never a dead battery and pretty easy at 1/4 the cash:)
is this pretty easy to wire up? I'm pretty new at this. Currently, I have everything ( two light bars, an additional set of LED lights, radio, amplifier, and winch) each on its own relay mounted up under the dash. I have lighted switches mounted for each of the accessories and all are switched with the ignition. I'm willing to spend the money for simplicity and water protection.

D

DRB

Oct 28, 2015
View attachment 7200 View attachment 7201
I just looked and read the information on this setup on Ebay, and once again, I have to thank you for your help. I think this is a whole lot simpler than what I have, and I will invest in it also.

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
is this pretty easy to wire up? I'm pretty new at this. Currently, I have everything ( two light bars, an additional set of LED lights, radio, amplifier, and winch) each on its own relay mounted up under the dash. I have lighted switches mounted for each of the accessories and all are switched with the ignition. I'm willing to spend the money for simplicity and water protection.
Well if you hooked all that up without this setup then you WONT have problems with it. It's really fairly straightforward. Everything will be in one spot everything is labeled and you won't have stray wires everywhere. All water proof no zappy zappy.

D

DRB

Oct 28, 2015
Well if you hooked all that up without this setup then you WONT have problems with it. It's really fairly straightforward. Everything will be in one spot everything is labeled and you won't have stray wires everywhere. All water proof no zappy zappy.
Yeah, it looks like spiders have been busy under my dash.

N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Again, great information on this board. I think I will go with a 2nd battery with an isolator/relay (since the P1K has such a nice spot for the 2nd battery) and probably go with ohanacreeks suggestion for the power distribution module. I can hardly believe I would ever need more than 6 additional circuits. So now my question goes to which switch panel or options are a good choice? Opinions please?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Again, great information on this board. I think I will go with a 2nd battery with an isolator/relay (since the P1K has such a nice spot for the 2nd battery) and probably go with ohanacreeks suggestion for the power distribution module. I can hardly believe I would ever need more than 6 additional circuits. So now my question goes to which switch panel or options are a good choice? Opinions please?

Personally, I like this clean, tidy, and you can change the switch type out easily.
SPST, SPDT, DPST, or DPDT.
On/off , on/off/on , (on)/off/on , (on)/off/(on).
(On) = momentary good for a winch in/out control.

1a5bf59ac17b74a8eba0c14bfab7fe79

Honda Pioneer 700 - Dash Mounted Switch Panel 6 Switch Capacity

Reactions: bigsnowman
M

Montana

Oct 29, 2015
That bring up a question.. If you put in a 2nd Batt and just wired it direct with two cables to the original Batt can one be deep cycle and one not? When the Dealer installs an original Honda winch is the original Batt replaced with a deep cycle?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wouldn't I would isolate them using an isolator relay.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
It could be yes as long as both were new but isolate it as then you'll never have a dead battery and never harm the factory systems. If you go to isolated system you could run whatever is ran to that without dead start and have vehicle off while running stereo, winch,auxiliary lights without adding to hours on the machine but choose at least a deep cycle but best for this application is an AGM battery like the one listed above they have the most memory can be drained more take more abuse which out worry the plates brake or loosing fluid. In any utility type vehicle a dedicated battery setup is the way to go especially if there's room for it and with the 1000 the main battery is six inches away so anyone could wire it up super quick and cheap. It woul only cost about $20 more and maybe 30min to know your rig is right safe and always dependable:)

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Nice switches Ohonacreek they are what was in my 700 and are slowly going in the 1000. I'm running only two in the upper with stereo and voltage then the lower cubby I'm building a panel to run 6-7 down there.

N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 7309 View attachment 7310 Nice switches Ohonacreek they are what was in my 700 and are slowly going in the 1000. I'm running only two in the upper with stereo and voltage then the lower cubby I'm building a panel to run 6-7 down there.

And I want to thank you CumminsPusher for the idea of using the 2nd battery with an isolator/relay. Great idea so I don't have to fiddle with Honda's wiring or wiring harness and almost impossible to screw up badly.

advertisement