CANCELED - The 2020 PIONEER TAKEOVER - A Honda SxS Club, Group Ride! April 24th & 25th, 2020!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cyberjunk

Cyberjunk

Berserker
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2017
Crane Hill Alabama
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 700-4
just curious does anyone have any experience with trail welding kits? i know a few of us have busted a arm frame welds over the yrs. just curious if anyone is bringing one. i looked into them a few yrs ago for my jeep. but i think i might make one and bring.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

There will be enough full shops on trailers there with no shortages of welders I assure you . Popped a lower ball joint early into the prison trip last year. It wedged in so it was leaning but made the rest of the ride. Of course that damaged the joint and the a arm. Put the word out that evening I needed a welder and bright and early the next morning got her welded up and back on the trails .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
yeah i figured there would be but popping a frame weld 8 miles out on the trail. might be a little more of an inconvenience.

Reactions: seig
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
yeah i figured there would be but popping a frame weld 8 miles out on the trail. might be a little more of an inconvenience.

Only the inconvenience of loading up the 3kw Honda generator and Lincoln welder into the Pioneer 1000 and driving to you :D

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Only the inconvenience of loading up the 3kw Honda generator and Lincoln welder into the Pioneer 1000 and driving to you :D
true. but i can have it right there with my grinder, drill. impacts. get it back and put a good weld on it.

Reactions: MuDSlinger and seig
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4

true. but i can have it right there with my grinder, drill. impacts. get it back and put a good weld on it.

So you pop a frame weld as you stated in the quote, it's easier to trail strip a machine and bring the frame in??? This I would pay to see.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
So you pop a frame weld as you stated in the quote, it's easier to trail strip a machine and bring the frame in??? This I would pay to see.
lol. not quite but ill have everything to keep the broken things from moving right on the trail. i mean i could tear peices off the frame fairly quick depending on where the break is at. plus it keeps the hot stuff away from the plastic and rubber stuff

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV

Leave that stuff at camp and bring extra beer to wait for the cavalry if you break something to the point of needing a weld.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
i can carry all that with 2.5 cases. lol

advertisement
J

JTW

There will be many of us there with gennys and welders.. Allow me let you in on a little secret. The more weight you pack, the more s*** you break! You’re better off splitting weight and parts between friends and like minded riders. I did and do struggle with this myself... but in all honesty, leave that s*** at the truck and just ride. Have stuff for tie rods and maybe axles. Otherwise, you’re not THAT far from camp.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
There will be many of us there with gennys and welders.. Allow me let you in on a little secret. The more weight you pack, the more s*** you break! You’re better off splitting weight and parts between friends and like minded riders. I did and do struggle with this myself... but in all honesty, leave that s*** at the truck and just ride. Have stuff for tie rods and maybe axles. Otherwise, you’re not THAT far from camp.
im actually packing lighter than normal. weight wise. looks like its either going to be just me or me and my uncle so im down 300 -500lbs right off the bat.

Reactions: TimG and seig
J

JTW

im actually packing lighter than normal. weight wise. looks like its either going to be just me or me and my uncle so im down 300 -500lbs right off the bat.

You’ll end up in a group... don’t worry much about it other than what I said. You’ve got full skids, good tires, and a winch right?

May biggest concern on your setup would be axles, tie rods and portals.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
You’ll end up in a group... don’t worry much about it other than what I said. You’ve got full skids, good tires, and a winch right?
2 out of 3. but im about 13 inches higher than most. just have to watch myself on the rocks

Reactions: TimG and seig
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Lol.. you should really consider skids. I know where you’re at it’s not that big a deal. But I promise you’ll be happy to have them at some point in TN!
i think my biggest problem from what iv seen video wise will be width issues more than likely. bringing a spare tire. tire rods and portals and axles should be fine. iv been looking at skids. but everyone iv seen not really liking the setup. might just cut a sign and bolt it up to the bottom. for the ride.

J

JTW

i think my biggest problem from what iv seen video wise will be width issues more than likely. bringing a spare tire. tire rods and portals and axles should be fine. iv been looking at skids. but everyone iv seen not really liking the setup. might just cut a sign and bolt it up to the bottom. for the ride.

Ok... I would at least do something on them. It really all depends I’m how you like to ride. I’d assume you’ll want to join one of our fun groups and see what she’ll do!?

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
slow and steady. not a fast paced person unless on a road. 3 wheeling is normal for me but iv never put it on its side. came close alot. but i can kinda feel it at that point.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
but yeah put on the side of a mountain i can climb i love that type of stuff. really want to check iut dragons back? and there is 1 spot i seen some razors and mavericks doing i think at a peak somewhere. nothing but a bunch of rocks and questionable climbs.

advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.