P1000 Back going!

A

Apbt82

Aug 8, 2016
Kentucky
Gkad you got it up and running again... I was looking to purchase a 1000-5 next year however, because of threads like this I may not. I have a 2015 Kawasaki Teryx with 2300 miles on it, takes a beating and still runs flawless. Do you mud a lot? I am an avid mud guy and don't want to buy a 17000 problem.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wasn't the one who drained it and honestly I didn't ask to see it. I assume good.

Sent from iPhone
I haven't had one of these apart but if they are anything like their street bike engines, I would've checked out the pickup for the oil pump. I went through alot of clutches drag racing. And clutch fibers loved to accumulate in the screen of the pickup. More than enough to impede oil flow.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Gkad you got it up and running again... I was looking to purchase a 1000-5 next year however, because of threads like this I may not. I have a 2015 Kawasaki Teryx with 2300 miles on it, takes a beating and still runs flawless. Do you mud a lot? I am an avid mud guy and don't want to buy a 17000 problem.
I'm sure @CumminsPusher has the same kinda fun that we do down south, but to answer your question as far as our group goes....yeah, we mud alot. And not one single problem from any of us
P1000 - Adding these videos.
I hear alot about people's "peanut butter" mud but I can tell you this. It don't get much harder than ole AL or TN mountain mud lol

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
We do run a lot of mud. If you look through things we are pretty hard on a vehicle and expect a lot out of one. There are things I suppose we could do to ease up the load but we run flat out. With this vehicle it is very easy to do that. It's a great machine and I really like it. I've said this before and we do tend to find any problems with a machine and have hated many because of that. One thing I have since found out directly from Honda is they may not be covering clutches with large tires because it puts undue stress on it so watch that if you do tires for mud. But the clutch isn't super bad actually. All I can tell you is that I love my rig! I'll drive it like I have been I'm not changing that but I'll try to stay more in the recommendations just for the sake of saying I did.

Sent from iPhone

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm with you buddy. Ain't changing how I drive mine no matter what. All my stuff works for a living whether it's a weedeater, tractor, ATV or a sxs. I take care of it maint wise, but it's gonna work for it. No trailer queens at this address.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I haven't had one of these apart but if they are anything like their street bike engines, I would've checked out the pickup for the oil pump. I went through alot of clutches drag racing. And clutch fibers loved to accumulate in the screen of the pickup. More than enough to impede oil flow.
That is a great point Delton and they are very similar!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm with you buddy. Ain't changing how I drive mine no matter what. All my stuff works for a living whether it's a weedeater, tractor, ATV or a sxs. I take care of it maint wise, but it's gonna work for it. No trailer queens at this address.
And that's why this group would be fun. I feel a lot are like this. I hate braking something but the scratches and dents don't bother

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I told you I'd gain some ground by sticking a tag on there lol. She's creeping up on 800 miles lol. It's bad when I have to cheat to keep up with you lol.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And that's why this group would be fun. I feel a lot are like this. I hate braking something but the scratches and dents don't bother
Nah they just add character. My hood and side panels are scratched up like crazy. And each scratch has a great memory to go with it lol

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Well expect the mileage to shoot the hell up shortly! I'll be breaking in the new stuff over the next week but after that...it's on! Labor Day coming up is our big one I expect 3-400 then and winters coming it'll be parked for two months. We put 2800 on the 700 in 8 mts we are very behind I'm ashamed

Sent from iPhone

advertisement
A

Apbt82

Aug 8, 2016
Kentucky
We do run a lot of mud. If you look through things we are pretty hard on a vehicle and expect a lot out of one. There are things I suppose we could do to ease up the load but we run flat out. With this vehicle it is very easy to do that. It's a great machine and I really like it. I've said this before and we do tend to find any problems with a machine and have hated many because of that. One thing I have since found out directly from Honda is they may not be covering clutches with large tires because it puts undue stress on it so watch that if you do tires for mud. But the clutch isn't super bad actually. All I can tell you is that I love my rig! I'll drive it like I have been I'm not changing that but I'll try to stay more in the recommendations just for the sake of saying I did.

Sent from iPhone
This makes me feel better about the machine, knowing that lots of others ride this way lol.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Honestly it has a few things but is the best out there in my opinion! I didn't just play follow the leader with the neighbor or listen to the dealer trying make more money down the road. My suggestions are still the same-snorkel it!! If it's hot put a heat shield on it and ride!

Sent from iPhone

Reactions: cwalton
A

Apbt82

Aug 8, 2016
Kentucky
I'm sure @CumminsPusher has the same kinda fun that we do down south, but to answer your question as far as our group goes....yeah, we mud alot. And not one single problem from any of us
I hear alot about people's "peanut butter" mud but I can tell you this. It don't get much harder than ole AL or TN mountain mud lol

Here in KY we have the same type of mud, and my sxs has spent a few times looking yours in the avatar :)

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here in KY we have the same type of mud, and my sxs has spent a few times looking yours in the avatar :)
Whereabouts in KY? I'm just a couple hours from the state line. Between Nashville and Chattanooga. If you're free during the week, shoot down and head off to the trails with me. You can test drive one in the real world instead of a parking lot at the dealership lol. Bring your Teryx and we can do some comparisons.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just curious if they didn't warranty it because of the 1000-7 sticker on the side. I would imagine the extra 2, or 4, or 10 peoples might cause a big strain on the drive train. LOL Like everyone else I'm glad you are up and going again. I am just shocked at how everything worked though. I took off on Thursday afternoon for a camping trip and came back on Sunday. By this time, you had your problem, took it to the dealer, had them do nothing but charge you, took it apart and fixed it yourself, and back up and going. Hopefully I got the time line right. You're my HERO!!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ya well that's pretty much how it went hate being down! And yes Honda is not pleased with the 7! That is part of the added stress apparently as things go. I added up the numbers and personally disagree and made that known. 50 seat+325 occupants +325 back seat = 700 pounds. 1000 pound payload capacity. I realize it's further back but I don't see how weight distribution effects drive train! Suspension, wheel bearings,ball joints that sort of thing yes but not sure how that effects certain things, weight is weight as far as traveling load. Shouldn't be any difference between this and carrying that much wood. They do not like it, the 7 did not help my situation. Apparently that line joey and I always talk about was stepped over this time. I didn't know it

Sent from iPhone

Last edited:
Reactions: joeymt33
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I guess it's a good thing they aren't fixing it. I am totally impressed by everything you have done and the way you live. We try to live by the same philosophy, buy taking our kids camping and adventuring while they are still little and kind of like me. I think we have missed 4 weekends in the hills since Memorial Day. I'm just glad you have it fixed so you can show everyone they way they SHOULD live. Enjoy.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Thank you so much! I'm sure you have seen the difference it makes on kids to get out. I'm like you in that I would rather make memories now while they are still with me it'll bring them back when they aren't. Id rather live day to day with my family and friends now and have them by my side then to worry about down the road for myself. For us it's the only way to be. I respect you for achieving that goal as well it is very very hard to get to and takes lots of sacrifices in life. I think most people on here are very family oriented and that's to be commended! Enjoy as well!

Sent from iPhone

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Hey @tjoreo do you ever get up north?

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have not. I was actually going to ask you if you every make it South?? We usually explore and play around central Idaho above Sun Valley and Ketchum. We just went on a couple of cool adventures to some old mine sights above there and in Mackay. One is called Boulder Basin, so after taking our "Riggo" in there I believe a skid plate is next on my list. Where do you play in Northern Idaho??

advertisement