Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Dealer called Thursday and said I owed them a ton of money for "diagnosis " on the machine that I had told them what was wrong. Thursday I picked it up went home and put the clutches back in. R135 was out so upon assembly I decided to switch sides so those gears were solid. Took 1.5 hours to assemble. Back to camping this weekend. Have to run manual mode but still goes. I'll be replacing the clutches this week all said and done under 400 and it'll take an hour not near as bad as the factory 6.4 wants for both sets. Not a big deal. Anyways back up and running nothing will stop us. Went down to the lake putted a few dirt roads and were a little easy on it but still having fun.

Image Image Image0344eae389e6cb8629a779795beb7cf0A7306916eda7535e8b5e1188428e4f19

Last edited:
H

HondaTech

6.4 for both? Flat rate is 2.1 for a clutch rebuild, the job can easily be done in a couple hours. No paper gaskets to scrape and you really don't need to drain coolant if you hang the oil cooler up with a strap. I'm doing 2 clucth replacements now (1/3/5) side only on both, other than setting the balancer gear back to tension it's simple.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ya they go off of their own numbers. We had it back together in 1.5 and didn't have any documentation. It's the same setup as any wet clutch just double. There's no doubt I'll have them replaced this time in an hour. And getting the basket in without loosing the back clutch is a little pain but I discovered if the front of the rig is a little higher they go in easier and I now I know the mark on the shaft to make sure it's loaded correctly. We reused everything obviously and someone could get by doing that but I ordered everything to do it right because it's my rig

Sent from iPhone

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ken I'd rather not comment on that at this time but let's say this from what I saw from discoloration it should've been. The dollar figure though isn't to bad to fix it yourself and I sure as hell wish I hadn't brought it to the dealer for them to charge me enough to do this twice and they only diagnosed it as what I had said when I brought it in. It sucks to know more about this machine then my dealer.

Sent from iPhone

Reactions: Madore128
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks like y'all had a great time! (Minus the clutch) lol

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
It wasn't bad and the Honda still made it back every time. Still going Sharp!

Sent from iPhone

Reactions: sharp
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thats some serious discoloration on that basket. That sucker really got hot.

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I guess i missed something..didn't know you was broke down. Glad to see your back going though.

advertisement
whayden2003

whayden2003

Mar 3, 2016
Slaughter,LA
Thanks for posting the pictures. That is a wicked clutch setup. Can't tell from the pics but on the clutch basket that has the discoloration, does it have any grooving where the friction disc keys into it?? Back in the young days I use to kill clutches on my banshee all the time until I started running the Hinson clutch baskets. That's what we all need is the aftermarket to step up and give us some upgraded parts. Hinson clutch baskets and Barnett clutches and we would be hooked up. Anyways thanks again for posting all these pics for us to see.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Thats some serious discoloration on that basket. That sucker really got hot.

Ya kind of showed me it wasn't instant

Sent from iPhone

Reactions: jawquin
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Thanks for posting the pictures. That is a wicked clutch setup. Can't tell from the pics but on the clutch basket that has the discoloration, does it have any grooving where the friction disc keys into it?? Back in the young days I use to kill clutches on my banshee all the time until I started running the Hinson clutch baskets. That's what we all need is the aftermarket to step up and give us some upgraded parts. Hinson clutch baskets and Barnett clutches and we would be hooked up. Anyways thanks again for posting all these pics for us to see.
Everything on the r135 side was discolored. And I've already been calling clutch manufacturers. Hinson sounds interested. But if you notice the clutches it's identical to the setup you're use to but just double. Pretty easy setup actually someone shouldn't be too scared of it.

Reactions: joeymt33
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
@CumminsPusher, that last picture of the trail is crazy! Maybe it's because I just watched Fear the Walking Dead, but that mound of dirt kind of looks like a Zombie covered with dirt climbing out of the earth! Lol. Man I've got to quit watching zombie movies:confused:

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
This is the first time I have heard of them denying a warranty claim on the clutch of a 1000, they obviously know it is an issue now. Thats gotta sting after what happened with your first ride... You certainly have a good attitude about it...I am impressed with that! Sounds like you got it up and going in hurry, glad it didnt slow you down much.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@CumminsPusher, that last picture of the trail is crazy! Maybe it's because I just watched Fear the Walking Dead, but that mound of dirt kind of looks like a Zombie covered with dirt climbing out of the earth! Lol. Man I've got to quit watching zombie movies:confused:
I'm a sucker for zombie shows too. The walking dead is my show!!! I like fear the walking dead too. Got all 6 seasons of TWD on the DVR lol.

Revtech100

Revtech100

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2016
Anchorage, AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ken I'd rather not comment on that at this time but let's say this from what I saw from discoloration it should've been. The dollar figure though isn't to bad to fix it yourself and I sure as hell wish I hadn't brought it to the dealer for them to charge me enough to do this twice and they only diagnosed it as what I had said when I brought it in. It sucks to know more about this machine then my dealer.

Sent from iPhone
I feel your pain. I don't know squat about my machine, but I was absolutely appalled by the lack of dealer knowledge. From the day I went in and first saw it, to picking it up was 4 days. I read what I could on it, then went back and I knew more than they did. Per them, no heat issues, no clutch issues, no transmission issue. Nothing. Ever. When I picked it up, the walk thru consisted of looking at the pretty gauges. I asked to be shown one thing and they copped an attitude and I told him to humor me, which he did with an attitude. Needless to say, all needs of this machine will be purchased over the Internet.

Reactions: franzw
advertisement