P1000 ALL Pioneer 1k owners cast your poll vote!! ***CLUTCH FAILURE TRACKING***

Had clutch failure? Cast vote for only vehicles you own!

• 1000-5 YES

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • 1000-5 NO

Votes: 93 70.5%
  • 1000-3 YES

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • 1000-3 NO

Votes: 28 21.2%

• Total voters
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
To be fair I've only had about 20 minutes to play with it since signing the papers on 12/27. Hoping to pick it up soon and actually start putting miles on it.
Oh s***, good thing you've got a P5 or you'd be really hating it.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
So maybe we should have a second poll for clutch failures. Moded or not
If you read the first post the OP has addressed that, providing people can read and follow instructions.

As far as clutch issues there is around a 3% failure rate nation wide of all P1K's sold. There are a couple of things that are causing this, some enhanced by user modifications, some by where and how long they are driven, and some give it up with very low miles. In short it appears that either you get a machine that holds up or you get one that does not, and may have repeated issues with it. Mainly root cause is stress, heat, and sometimes oil pressure allows the plates to slip until failing.

Honda is working on a multifaceted fix that I won't go into here or now but it should do the trick once finalized in a few months.

I think what people really want to know is it a systemic issue where every unit will fail, the answer is no. At the same time if you have issues with a particular unit early on you likely will have a repeated issue due to the aforementioned reasons above. No fix will likely hold up to those who think they have to run 34" tires, but for the $7K they added to the machine to run them a $300 clutch packs should be of no concern, they likely spent more $ that that on their lighted whip. That's the cost of feeling well endowed.

Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I discussed this with my dealer a few days ago. We have done business for a long time and I have brought him a substantial amount of sales this year through referrals and family buys(3 P1ks and 2 more pending). The topic came up under warranty coverage. He was pretty candid and inferred that dealers that have a good relationship with Honda (such as himself), have gotten 100% coverage on clutch replacements. He than listed a few completely dumb A$$ customers stunts that Honda shouldn't have, but did cover. His claimed failure rate is 3%. He spit that figure out immediately when I asked. This is a pretty hi volume dealership that moves quite a few units.

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
^^^ I would suppose if it's not a safety hazard then a general recall would not happen and therefore an anouncement may or maynot be made by Honda. I am guessing defective clutches would be fixed as they fail. Of course I'm just speculating.. Now you would think the hot steam up the back issues would be deemed a safety hazard and addressed but then again they would prob tell you not to drive in water..

H

Hemba

Dec 5, 2016
Baton Rouge la
Ownership

1. 1000-3
1000-3 in shop now with Burt clutches.
Very disappointed in machine
Very disappointed with dealer
Probly for sale when I get it back
2016 around 400 miles bought it in September and barley made it through hunting season. My son has put his Trx 90 through more hell than I have with this bike. I've had hondas my whole life and this is not the Honda product that Ive owned in the past.
Sold a Polaris ranger and a Honda 500 4 wheeler to buy the pioneer.

advertisement
H

Hemba

Dec 5, 2016
Baton Rouge la
Ownership

1. 1000-3
1000-3 in shop now with Burt clutches.
Very disappointed in machine
Very disappointed with dealer
Probly for sale when I get it back
2016 around 400 miles bought it in September and barley made it through hunting season. My son has put his Trx 90 through more hell than I have with this bike. I've had hondas my whole life and this is not the Honda product that Ive owned in the past.
Sold a Polaris ranger and a Honda 500 4 wheeler to buy the pioneer.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
H

Hemba

Dec 5, 2016
Baton Rouge la
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Dealer called me this evening. They tore motor down and clutches wer burnt. He sent pics to Honda and they are taking care of issue Under warranty. I think there are some people with clutch issues and they don't know about it. Service manager thought mine was fine until I made him ride a new one off the floor.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dealer called me this evening. They tore motor down and clutches wer burnt. He sent pics to Honda and they are taking care of issue Under warranty. I think there are some people with clutch issues and they don't know about it. Service manager thought mine was fine until I made him ride a new one off the floor.
Glad they are taking care of you. Hopefully you won't have any more issues.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I have also gone through a clutch pack replacement,but mine made it to almost 1500 miles! Trails, steep hills, a lot of mud, and finally 2-3ft of snow! Always drove it like I stole it using quick acceleration on takeoff and held it to the floor! Just curious to your riding style?

H

Hemba

Dec 5, 2016
Baton Rouge la
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have also gone through a clutch pack replacement,but mine made it to almost 1500 miles! Trails, steep hills, a lot of mud, and finally 2-3ft of snow! Always drove it like I stole it using quick acceleration on takeoff and held it to the floor! Just curious to your riding style?
For the most part barley over 25mph to a deer stand and back. Dust and some mud. Was afraid it would break if I went on a all day ride

lrandy129

lrandy129

Curmudgeon
Lifetime Member
Nov 4, 2016
NELA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For the most part barley over 25mph to a deer stand and back. Dust and some mud. Was afraid it would break if I went on a all day ride
What caused the breakage concern? Reading posts on clutch failure or have you experienced other problems?

B

BJowett

Feb 17, 2017
Extreme Western Massachusetts
Ownership

1. 1000-5
JACKAL, would you mind sharing the gist of the update? I'd hate to start playing with other simple options if not needed. We enjoy using our machines hard, but not in stupid ways. A JASO MA2 API SL/SM rated 10w30 could be worlds ahead in helping those clutches not only hold, but reduce glazing chances, and keep the viscosity proper so the oil pressure is consistent. A 2nd oil to air cooler would be nice for hard running... maybe even larger filters to keep flow up.

Honda is working on a multifaceted fix that I won't go into here or now but it should do the trick once finalized in a few months.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I wonder if aggressive clutch engagement extends the life of the clutch? Anyone drive aggressively and have early failure before 500 miles?

advertisement