RobSparre

RobSparre

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2020
West Chester, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks. I have to give RobSparre credit for making the video and starting this thread.

RobSparre, I think your video was the first thing I watched when I got my P1K5. I was trying to get ideas for how I was going to add accessories and ran across this thread.
Thanks John - but you are taking this to a whole other level above -eh? Holy cow!! Of course I do not have the electrical training or practice - but it’s nice to see the work of a true craftsman!

Last edited:
Reactions: CID and TripleB
RobSparre

RobSparre

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2020
West Chester, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Agreed Rob is the inspiration for mine too. Can never have too much info and learning tips/tweaks from each other!

When can we expect your thread to be up? Will you be posting a video somewhere as well!?
Hey we do get greedy for more knowledge don’t we! Videos are time consuming to produce but it’s nice to know there is an appreciative audience. So even if John does not do a video - we appreciate the details and attachments to help us learn.

Reactions: CID and grallison14
G

grallison14

Jul 6, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey we do get greedy for more knowledge don’t we! Videos are time consuming to produce but it’s nice to know there is an appreciative audience. So even if John does not do a video - we appreciate the details and attachments to help us learn.
Rob,
Can you give some input after you get your winch Installed? I have a dealer installed winch already to my main main battery, but wondering what will need to go where when I change it over to the Aux Battery. Obviously there are leads coming from the battery and from the winch to the winch block, and then some switch cables coming off that. Lots of extra cable for re-wiring and running switch to cab plate is causing a lot of clutter.

Thanks Rob, I can post a pic for better reference too.

Reactions: Smitty335
RobSparre

RobSparre

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2020
West Chester, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Rob,
Can you give some input after you get your winch Installed? I have a dealer installed winch already to my main main battery, but wondering what will need to go where when I change it over to the Aux Battery. Obviously there are leads coming from the battery and from the winch to the winch block, and then some switch cables coming off that. Lots of extra cable for re-wiring and running switch to cab plate is causing a lot of clutter.

Thanks Rob, I can post a pic for better reference too.
Sure - but I won't buy purchasing the winch probably for a few weeks. I will take a look at the wiring diagrams and see if we can give you some direction on where to connect things to move from main to aux battery. Should have it for you by tomorrow.

Update: hey G - is there any reason you can't just move the main Red/Black power cables from the main battery to the Aux battery (or bus bars if you are using them)? I don't see any reason to have to move the switch wiring. You just want the main current draw to come from the aux battery instead of main. The switch is still going to need to be on to let the winch operate, regardless of which battery is providing current to the winch motor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mudwing
R

rthomas9107

Nov 22, 2020
TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Greetings all - this is my first post - from West Chester, PA. Just joined a few weeks ago. Love seeing everyone and reading all of the great community knowledge! Just got our 2020 P1K-5 used with only 34 miles on it! The first thing I wanted to do was add the dual battery system for accessories, and I read all the threads and watched all the YouTube videos I could find - but I was still left with some confusion and questions. So I decided to do my own video to help me understand it better. Best way to learn a subject is have to explain it to someone else!

Thanks to JoeyL here on the forum for his wiring diagrams from other posts. I used those as inspiration.

Here is the YouTube link.

I have also attached my wiring diagrams.
Update 12/20/2020 - I have updated several diagrams. They now show relay post #s for the dual voltmeter plus additional relay and switch connections on page 2.

Enjoy!
rob
Rob, do you have a list of materials or part numbers for this modification? I'm trying to replicate the mod exactly as shown.

Reactions: RobSparre
Hking94

Hking94

Dec 11, 2020
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Is there a list of parts someone could share so I can buy all the right materials?

RobSparre

RobSparre

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2020
West Chester, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Rob, do you have a list of materials or part numbers for this modification? I'm trying to replicate the mod exactly as shown.
Hey RT - yes, if you look at the video description on YouTube, I have a complete parts list plus I have pasted it in below. Have fun - and let us know how it goes!

Link to wiring diagrams on the HondaSxS.com forum: Yet Another Pioneer 1000 Dual Battery Install - video - The Honda Side by Side Club!
Parts List:
Stinger SGP38 80-AMP Battery Relay https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HC6UJ0/?tag=sxsweb24-20 Tru Isolator kit from HondaSxS.com store - about $120 - has everything you need. The less expensive kit does not have the dual voltmeter or relay TrueAm UTV-SBI-18CM UTV Dual Battery Isolator Kit
Mighty Max Battery ML26-12 Amazon.com: Mighty Max Battery ML26-12 12V 26AH Replacement Battery for UB12260-ER Brand Product: Electronics
Bussman ATM Mini Circuit Converter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AHADOC/?tag=sxsweb24-20
Klein Tools 11063W Wire Cutter/Stripper https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BC39YFQ/?tag=sxsweb24-20
Homidic Heat Gun https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P5WFHJ7/?tag=sxsweb24-20
Workpro 582-piece Crimp Terminal Kit https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077YZJGQ2/?tag=sxsweb24-20
InstallGear 5 AWG 2 ft Batter Power Cables https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NAB9U7A/?tag=sxsweb24-20
6 Terminal Bus Bar 150A https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WV486BS/?tag=sxsweb24-20
12-Way Fuse Box https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HDYQMB5/?tag=sxsweb24-20
TYUMEN 100FT 16 Gauge 2 color hookup wire https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SG23DT1/?tag=sxsweb24-20
Link to my P1K accessories video:

Reactions: TripleB
RobSparre

RobSparre

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2020
West Chester, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is there a list of parts someone could share so I can buy all the right materials?
Yes, check out the description on the YouTube video, plus I just pasted in the links in response to @rthomas1907

Reactions: Hking94
bwetzel

bwetzel

Nov 10, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My voltage meter is showing same reading for both batteries, and both drop when I hit winch. I’m pretty much running same setup as Rob is running but I do have aux battery grounded off main battery. Could this be the issue? I figured a ground is a ground but am I sidestepping “isolation” by running it this way?

Also both show 14v, not sure if that’s related to the issue.

Everything seems to be working great.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seagerms
advertisement
Elvis8310

Elvis8310

Jan 2, 2021
Edmond, Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is my question. If you have the dual battery kit, what was your reason for building this setup? I am starting my mods so just trying to figure everything out. I thought use a fuse block like used in car audio to wire the auxiliary items. I just bought my 2021 1000-5 yesterday so trying to get up to speed on this stuff.

Last edited:
bwetzel

bwetzel

Nov 10, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My main reason was to keep adequate voltage on my main battery when winch is getting heavy use (plowing snow). If not for that I probably wouldn’t have done it for just a light bar and radio. I’ll let someone more knowledgeable speak to the issue of straining battery and impact on transmission.

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My voltage meter is showing same reading for both batteries, and both drop when I hit winch. I’m pretty much running same setup as Rob is running but I do have aux battery grounded off main battery. Could this be the issue? I figured a ground is a ground but am I sidestepping “isolation” by running it this way?

Also both show 14v, not sure if that’s related to the issue.

Everything seems to be working great.
If you are grounding your aux battery to the main battery, you are in effect wiring your batteries together - parallel. That's why you see the same voltage and drop when you use accessories or winch.
Seperate your aux ground to the winch ground or make a chassis ground.

bwetzel

bwetzel

Nov 10, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If you are grounding your aux battery to the main battery, you are in effect wiring your batteries together - parallel. That's why you see the same voltage and drop when you use accessories or winch.
Thanks, figured that’s maybe what I had done.

RobSparre

RobSparre

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2020
West Chester, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dirtstiffs - Really? I am confused. I thought if the two batteries had separate positive paths, they were not wired in parallel. The negative bus can be shared, which means we don't require autonomous separate negative systems for the batteries - just one common ground. The positive of each battery and their related accessories should remain separate. As I understand it, wiring batteries in parallel means tying the positives together and the negatives together. I would think the reason @bwetzel is having the issue is because the positives are connected accidentally somewhere. The main battery and the aux battery would both be connected to chassis ground.

Reactions: CID and TripleB
Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If the main battery is grounded from factory as it is, and the Aux battery is provided a factory ground cable, they are both grounded to the frame where they need to be. If someone were to make a different ground to the frame in a different location it is still...grounded to the same frame. Changing the location of the ground should not matter, there is only one frame and both batteries are grounded to it no matter the location. I thought out loud there and may have rambled but I don't see why changing the location of the frame ground should matter?

Reactions: TripleB
G

grallison14

Jul 6, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sure - but I won't buy purchasing the winch probably for a few weeks. I will take a look at the wiring diagrams and see if we can give you some direction on where to connect things to move from main to aux battery. Should have it for you by tomorrow.

Update: hey G - is there any reason you can't just move the main Red/Black power cables from the main battery to the Aux battery (or bus bars if you are using them)? I don't see any reason to have to move the switch wiring. You just want the main current draw to come from the aux battery instead of main. The switch is still going to need to be on to let the winch operate, regardless of which battery is providing current to the winch motor.
Rob,
Yes I would think that would work just fine! A couple more questions as I am supposed to be taking delivery today on most of the components for this dual battery set up this week.
Are 12v Relays pretty standard? Wondering where you purchased those and the specifics on wiring through them, is it best practice to run all accessories through a relay? I assume 12ga wire is sufficient for all this wiring if I wanted to use one gage for all the wiring?

Gabbas

Gabbas

May 17, 2020
Humboldt, Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Rob,
Yes I would think that would work just fine! A couple more questions as I am supposed to be taking delivery today on most of the components for this dual battery set up this week.
Are 12v Relays pretty standard? Wondering where you purchased those and the specifics on wiring through them, is it best practice to run all accessories through a relay? I assume 12ga wire is sufficient for all this wiring if I wanted to use one gage for all the wiring?
Most accessories that you buy come with a 12 volt relay. As far as what kind to get it depends how you're going to wire your system they are usually just a 4-prong 2 positive 2 negative

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lady01
advertisement