P500 Who wants a diff. Lock ?

hondasrule

hondasrule

Feb 27, 2017
ontario
Ownership

1. 500
If you didn’t remove the peening, that completely explains why it was a bear to remove.
The peening can be removed with a stone or carbide in a dremel to remove the pin. Eay enough to repeen after assembly with a hammer or center punch.
I completely agree. Removeing some material where it’s pened would have helped. I likely would have not bent my punch or would have had to use heat. I can say forsure the pin is a interference fit and the pene is so it won’t just fall out if it somehow works loose.
I like chooglig idea to drill and tap opposite side. Then fill it with set screws. That could work from a consumers point.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Anybody else find it pathetic that a thread needs to be started for what should be just a given piece of standard equipment? Nearly every machine offered today (quad and SxS) has one. Hell, even my YXZ has one! I like my 500, but this is just one of the many reasons its relegated to work duty and no fun.
Preaching to the choir. It has been debated many times.
I was looking into reasons why will never get a bolt in locker on the p500 and here it is... The carrier is sold as complete assembly because it uses a press in pin that is REALLYHARD to remove for obvious reasons. I think this could be a major and only obstacle for the weekend mechanic or do it yourselfer. Not to say that it cant be done but its questionable especially if the kit will cost few hundred dollars and you will have to tweak it or tap it to get it working again. Thoughts on this??
let me hear it..

View attachment 64371 View attachment 64372 View attachment 64373 View attachment 64374
Now I'd like to see what the innerds of the 700 front diff looks like, since the 500 appears to use the same housing minus the extension on the passenger side (which presumably houses the locking mechanism). It must use a different carrier set-up. Time to go look at some parts diagrams...

Forgive me if I missed it, but skimmed through this long post and curious, anyone yet try a Foreman front differential?
I believe this has been checked into and the Foreman is different.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
@hondasrule your pics don't really show it, but was one side of the carrier ( where the axles would insert ) splined on the outside?

This is the 700 and you can see how the locker works...

700 front diff

Reactions: Dp5hunter
hondasrule

hondasrule

Feb 27, 2017
ontario
Ownership

1. 500
@hondasrule your pics don't really show it, but was one side of the carrier ( where the axles would insert ) splined on the outside?

This is the 700 and you can see how the locker works...

View attachment 64422
on the 700 models item#19 slides back and forth locking the passenger side drive axle to the carrier. here is pic of where it locks onto on the carrier.

Diff pic 7 Diif pic 6

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
on the 700 models item#19 slides back and forth locking the passenger side drive axle to the carrier. here is pic of where it locks onto on the carrier.

View attachment 64431 View attachment 64432
Right...and I'm guessing that splined area is missing from the 500 carrier? Not that there's a reason for it to be there...just thinking for simplicity, maybe Honda just had one carrier for both the diffs (being so similar) and 500 guys could bolt on the extension and related parts and at least have that part taken care of if they could move the diff over to the driver side a few inches. And take care of the (now angled) front drive shaft. And get the proper length CV's...and...
A lot of stuff for the average guy to do, but Honda could have done it pretty easily...

Reactions: Dp5hunter
hondasrule

hondasrule

Feb 27, 2017
ontario
Ownership

1. 500
Right...and I'm guessing that splined area is missing from the 500 carrier? Not that there's a reason for it to be there...just thinking for simplicity, maybe Honda just had one carrier for both the diffs (being so similar) and 500 guys could bolt on the extension and related parts and at least have that part taken care of if they could move the diff over to the driver side a few inches. And take care of the (now angled) front drive shaft. And get the proper length CV's...and...
A lot of stuff for the average guy to do, but Honda could have done it pretty easily...
I agree completely. Moving diff over to give space for drive axle to move would be the very best way to solve this.then they could have just kept the 700 diff in all of them. I am thinking as soon as Honda wanted to market a 50 inch machine they basically started narrowing by any means possible.

Yota87

Yota87

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Ga
Ownership

1. 500
I was looking into reasons why will never get a bolt in locker on the p500 and here it is... The carrier is sold as complete assembly because it uses a press in pin that is REALLYHARD to remove for obvious reasons. I think this could be a major and only obstacle for the weekend mechanic or do it yourselfer. Not to say that it cant be done but its questionable especially if the kit will cost few hundred dollars and you will have to tweak it or tap it to get it working again. Thoughts on this??
let me hear it..

View attachment 64371 View attachment 64372 View attachment 64373 View attachment 64374

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
let me hear it..

Air hammer time, if it were easy everyone would do it lol.

Reactions: Dp5hunter and JWB
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I have done some research on this, and yes, the only difference between the 700 diff, and the 500 diff, is the gear ratio, and the lack of the locking components bolted to the side of the diff case. The cases, and carrier are the same. So you could take the cover off the passenger side of 500 diff, and bolt the locking assembly to it. I just looked for and found a used complete 700 diff for about $600. So move the diff over, add a u-joint to drive shaft- have to change length too. If you're really lucky, the short axle from the passenger side will be the right length for the drivers side. But, if the distance is too short, you could move all the front suspension out a little bit by welding on new extended mount points for the control arms, and lengthen the tie rods the corresponding amount. You can also buy the front locker cable and shifter for about $30 on e-bay. Like you said, a ton of work and aggravation. What's really annoying about all of this, is that as you said, Honda could very easily offer this on the 500, with parts off the shelf. It would be worth the extra $600 bucks that Honda should charge for the option.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have done some research on this, and yes, the only difference between the 700 diff, and the 500 diff, is the gear ratio, and the lack of the locking components bolted to the side of the diff case. The cases, and carrier are the same. So you could take the cover off the passenger side of 500 diff, and bolt the locking assembly to it. I just looked for and found a used complete 700 diff for about $600. So move the diff over, add a u-joint to drive shaft- have to change length too. If you're really lucky, the short axle from the passenger side will be the right length for the drivers side. But, if the distance is too short, you could move all the front suspension out a little bit by welding on new extended mount points for the control arms, and lengthen the tie rods the corresponding amount. You can also buy the front locker cable and shifter for about $30 on e-bay. Like you said, a ton of work and aggravation. What's really annoying about all of this, is that as you said, Honda could very easily offer this on the 500, with parts off the shelf. It would be worth the extra $600 bucks that Honda should charge for the option.
I was thinking the same thing about the passenger-to-driver axle hopes.

I had also done some research on this shortly after the 500 came out, but my interest was putting the lower 500 gears in the 700. There was some discrepancy in the actual ratios on the parts fiches, and the cost would have been something like $2500 with the new parts, so i dropped it.

Reactions: JWB and Dp5hunter
advertisement
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4

Been in conversation about this topic with people that know this won't work. Sorry , just would hate to see someone spend a lot of money for no gain. You can take my word for it or not, but you can't say you wasn't warned. I would like to get a locker as much as anyone else .

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Been in conversation about this topic with people that know this won't work. Sorry , just would hate to see someone spend a lot of money for no gain. You can take my word for it or not, but you can't say you wasn't warned. I would like to get a locker as much as anyone else .
I'd like to know why it won't work- mostly out curiosity- there's no way I would ever spend that kind of time and money just for a locking diff that should have been there in the first place. I'm starting to wonder if the part #'s are wrong in the diagrams cuz they certainly show matching #'s between the machines. Still waiting for Torq-Masters to send me a locker....

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I am on the fence with waiting on Torque Masters at all. They have been inundated with info and date requests but have been blowing smoke up our collective asses for a long time, meanwhile they already have new products out for some new 2018 buggies and differentials. Not one mention from them on their Facebook page about this locker, but a lot of posting about other products. If they were 3-6 weeks out I would expect them to at least mention it on their timeline. I keep poking it with a stick, every time they mention another new product on their FB page I reply with the need for one for my P5...(It would be great if maybe some other P5 owners would do the same so they see some numbers.), but no replies, not even a like. No mention about it on any Honda oriented social media sites at all.

C

Chooglin

I emailed them this morning

I am sure you guys are tired of getting emails asking about the locker for the Pioneer 500. The community is anxiously awaiting the reliese of this. Is there any info you can give us on a possible release date on the locker ?

Thanks
Joe

And there reply was

HI Joe,

"No worries, the enthusiasm from the community is encouraging. We don't have a release date right now, but they are in production. Our broach takes 14 weeks to ship, this is our main delay."

So this is going to happen , we just need to be patient for a little longer!

C

Chooglin

I think they would probably deny me of a picture, they probably don't want the word out until they are ready.

Although I think we will get a locker eventually, I won't believe it until I hear/see it from them !

Last edited by a moderator:
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Might suggest if they plan on a P500 install video, to address the questions above. Bet
. AppalachianMountainRiders could do a video if he was sent one.

advertisement