P1000 Well... I may be jumpin ship..

BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey

Mar 29, 2017
Mid TN
We are talking about 2 different things here. If you are climbing up a rock faced wall sure... Turbo and tons of power is what you'll need. If you are crawling on the things we ride, turbo is basically useless. You can virtually do everything in a non-turbo you can in a turbo. The only instance I can see it helping is a super steep hill or something. You just don't need that kind of horsepower around here, it is better suited for the dunes.
Honda has been fine with not being in the Sport world. My guess is they'll ease into it rather than jumping in with both feet. Just like they've done with their past machines... I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time Lol. I think they should/will ease into the sport market and work out kinks along the way. Don't put out a s***ty, troublesome machine just because people are asking for it. That is the POLARIS way not the HONDA way... ;)
Nope we are talking about the same thing just different aspects. yes turbo will get you more horse power with high speeds on the top end. now shift into low gear with a turbo that has negligible lag and you have more torque to get you over the rocks or more wheel speed to get the tires to grip and you are up and over. sure you can virtually do everything in a non turbo that you can in a turbo the fact is the turbo does it better because there is more at its disposal. look at the gearing in rock crawlers its so low so they get the most power and torque when they need it

Reactions: sharp
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Nope we are talking about the same thing just different aspects. yes turbo will get you more horse power with high speeds on the top end. now shift into low gear with a turbo that has negligible lag and you have more torque to get you over the rocks or more wheel speed to get the tires to grip and you are up and over. sure you can virtually do everything in a non turbo that you can in a turbo the fact is the turbo does it better because there is more at its disposal. look at the gearing in rock crawlers its so low so they get the most power and torque when they need it
I see what you are doing here Turbo owner. You aren't convincing me of anything Lol. I'm starting to lean toward one of these anyhow ;)

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Basing on Hondas past, they will have a very durable machine that works pretty well, but wont blow the doors off of anything. They will be conservative with the HP and chassis, that's just what they do and have always done unless you go all the way back to the mid-late 80's. Think 250R, 350X VFR's etc. They haven't been out front performance wise since. Their big sportbikes, CBR's were always behind the Yamaha R1 and Suzuki GSXR. The Yamaha YFZ450 was a step ahead of the TRX450R etc. Not saying they are bad machines, far from it, I had 3 CBR's and 3 450r quads myself but I expect their sport SXS to be similar. Great machine, but not pushing the performance envelope so to speak. I think for a multi use machine, the Pioneer is a great rig, but if you look around there are other models that do certain things better, go faster, ride smoother, better workhorse or whatever.

BUT.... except when in a pissing contest when does that extra 10th of a Sec to 60 matter or that extra 3mph top end?

I can see big horsepower in dunes or super steep hills, I wager while there are a lot of people that ride in dunes there are a significantly larger number that do not. Perfect example the YXZ, they now offer a kit for everyone else who doesn’t ride dunes to be able to use it.

I would in my older and SLIGHTLY wiser late 30s have a machine that will be dependable and do 85% of things well even if it’s a bit slower. Than the set your hair on fire break down every week fastest on race day machine I had in my 20’s.

Granted where I ride big speed and hp don’t matter you can’t open it up. I can keep up with any of the 1000 rzrs Ive ridden with. Even travel doesn’t make that much of a difference between the 1000-5 and an XP1000, my recent Fox upgrade has made a world of difference.

If I was in dunes all the time I’d deal with using a sport for utility.

I wager the Honda sport will have a 15-20” of travel, 29-30” tires, a nice interior, an HO1000 with DCT, and a turbo option.I don’t think it will be the fastest or most powerful, but it won’t burn, the clutch won’t break, there will be no belt to get wet, there won’t be a reverse chain from a huffy, the ball joints won’t give out, it’ll be usable in the dunes and in the rocks, probably have 4Lock and I-4WD models.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i also want to say that this is why i enjoy this forum so much. you can actually debate and discus things with people and it not turn into a 10th grade argument. if this were RZRFORUM people would have already resulted to correcting grammar mistakes and threatining to beat someones A$$ via keyboard. Sorry OP @strongbuilt for skewing your thread. i will say that any machine you get will have its trade off, whether it be the 3 wheel drive can am, fire prone PoPo, or odd ball Yammaha. what i would recommend is taking a look at who all you ride with. because you know something is going to break or go wrong. do you want to be the odd man out no one has parts for? ive seen it first hand where a simple flat tire, or broken a arm has killed a buddys weekend just because he was the odd man out.
That first part was hilarious. It's funny because it's true. I liked the part about resulting to correcting grammar mistakes and beating someone via keyboard.

strongbuilt

strongbuilt

Sep 7, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Takes one to know one, I appreciate it all!! My minds not made up, went up to the local dealership and wasn't as sold as I thought as I should be for the price. Might hold off for another round of pissing contests,.,., I mean another year..

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Takes one to know one, I appreciate it all!! My minds not made up, went up to the local dealership and wasn't as sold as I thought as I should be for the price. Might hold off for another round of pissing contests,.,., I mean another year..
Good to hear, was worried I might have to find the ignore user button!

advertisement
BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey

Mar 29, 2017
Mid TN
i will tell you one thing the dealers around here dont know sh!t. i have a buddy that is in the market for a new machine. ive been on the phone with him for probably 2 hours setting him straight on things the dealer either flat out lied about or just didnt know and pulled something out of their ass for a sale. idk if you guys have americas motorsports around you but i have had to take service bulletins to them and explained what they mean because they were clueless about them. it just amazes me.

I

infernored1000

Jan 10, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I jumped ship a few years ago, well maybe not jumped ship but added too. Bought a Polaris sportsman 850XP that I still have, then bought a canam XMR1000, they are great machines, especially that XMR but if your not riding mud all the time it would beat you to death on the trail. Honda did not offer a big bore, locker or IRS, so off I went, five years later added another Honda and couldn't be happier, low maintenance I can't say that enough lol, reliability, low maintenance. Seems all I do is maintenance on my canam and Polaris. I looked at the canam X3 and the XP1000 but couldn't see myself paying $30,000 Or more for a toy lol, except the new the ski boat I have been eyeing Yamaha 242 (ease of maintenance lol). Good luck with whatever you chose, at least it's fun shopping lol.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i will tell you one thing the dealers around here dont know sh!t. i have a buddy that is in the market for a new machine. ive been on the phone with him for probably 2 hours setting him straight on things the dealer either flat out lied about or just didnt know and pulled something out of their ass for a sale. idk if you guys have americas motorsports around you but i have had to take service bulletins to them and explained what they mean because they were clueless about them. it just amazes me.
There is a americas motorsports down the road from me I never get a good vibe when I go in there and they never have parts I need. They love to push polaris and can am and don't care anything about selling hondas nor do they care to learn anything about them.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I talked to two different Honda dealers today that are 30 miles apart and got completely different information and from what I’ve read and seen through the Honda bulletins, they were both wrong. It amazes me today that no one “specializes” in their craft. If I was going to be a “plumber” I would want to know everything I could so I was an expert on plumbing. People today don’t give a crap and just sit around and surf Facebook and make stuff up as they go. It’s ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. 1000 6 Crew