P1000 Well... I may be jumpin ship..

J

JTW

@strongbuilt I don't blame you bud. The Honda Pioneer takes a lot of add ons to make it able to go where stock sports can go. You'll also go at a much slower pace! I've had mine for about 1 1/2 yrs and I really do like it. However, I've come to realize I don't really use it unless trail riding. Therefore a sport will definitely be in my future. I'm waiting for the right machine. There's nothing on the market right now that tickles my fancy Lol...
Yep... for me it’s the ability to seat 5 and still be somewhat useable for work or trail or puttering around. But I’ve found most of my riding is of the trail variety where a sport machine would be nice. Even if I sat down into the pioneer more I’d be happy. I don’t want something long but I still need the ability to take all the girls. So the PK5 will just have to do for a long while.

strongbuilt

strongbuilt

Sep 7, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Everyone of you are saying the exact same thing as me. I will have owned, bragged, loved, jumped, raced buddies, for 2 years (march 3rd) in this thing. I love some things about it more than others for sure! I love the option to go hunt add people on the way and watch their faces light up when I explain how freaking much I love it, everyone loves it, I have sold 4 for my local Honda shop cause of people who love mine so much. Love the whole working dump bed option or seats, this changed the game for me. My 2 little girls love it back there, not to mention I try to hunt my ass off every chance I get. Sport Shifting has been very awesome in most situations, really like how it responds with paddle shifters also! Have spent about as much time cleaning it as riding, its only at 1,000 miles.
I also don't know where to go.. Yeah the X3 is sick! I have rented one and the "myth" that you cant see out of them is a real thing.. Sucked man, I am 6'3" I was fine. My wife is 5' 1" not so good for her. Not to mention they feel like a limousine in length... Serious doubts that is what I will get. Especially at $29,999 before taxes and accessories. X3 is out for me.
The one thing that may get me, I will rent one before I buy one, Sorry to use this name.. Its the 2018 Fox Edition Razor turbo 1000. Rides second to none, engine way back and the availability of accessories is endless. The seats all adjust for comfort of each rider, plus the bucket style seats have been re-engineered. I don't know if they have out what I WANT yet.....

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Yep... for me it’s the ability to seat 5 and still be somewhat useable for work or trail or puttering around. But I’ve found most of my riding is of the trail variety where a sport machine would be nice. Even if I sat down into the pioneer more I’d be happy. I don’t want something long but I still need the ability to take all the girls. So the PK5 will just have to do for a long while.
The extra seats and bed is definitely nice. Very useful at our lake cabin to run down to the marina. I will say though the back seats are very uncomfortable. Your @ss would be in some pain after trail riding for a day back there. For a run down the road they are fine but they aren't designed for long rides.
Bucket seats and long travel on the Pioneer would be awesome. I want something in between the Pioneer and a Sport. I really like the setup of the General but the quality is crap. I'd like to see Honda produce something along those lines.

strongbuilt

strongbuilt

Sep 7, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Friend of mine has the general and his family gets car sick in it! Can't see in front of them. Its runs great and is smaller than some other models, but yeah not for my little family.. I may be just kinda stuck in it with the pioneer. I said I like the Razor but i didn't say how i didn't like it, Long, $25,649, Loud, One gear, Small bed, Rubber Band(belt), Oh yeah one other thing, THEY LIGHT ON FIRE!!!! Obviously Have no clue what I want.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds to me like you have given thought to what you want, just haven't bitten the bullet and made it happen.

Reactions: sharp
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Friend of mine has the general and his family gets car sick in it! Can't see in front of them. Its runs great and is smaller than some other models, but yeah not for my little family.. I may be just kinda stuck in it with the pioneer. I said I like the Razor but i didn't say how i didn't like it, Long, $25,649, Loud, One gear, Small bed, Rubber Band(belt), Oh yeah one other thing, THEY LIGHT ON FIRE!!!! Obviously Have no clue what I want.
Really? I have a buddy with a General, I think the thing rides like a Cadillac. It is a little more tippy than a Rzr but nothing like the Pioneer. It has great power and nice big Fox shocks. It feels more like driving a car with the cockpit and seats. I've never drove it but never had a problem seeing from the passenger seat.
I'm making do with the Pioneer right now as well. Resale is terrible so I might as well keep driving it. When I find a machine I can't live without I'll buy it ;)

Reactions: pct, JTW and sharp
BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey

Mar 29, 2017
Mid TN
technically its an infinite number of gearing...but i get what you are saying and it does suck having to shift from low to high while i watch you automatic transmission guys just push the gas. the length is something everyone complains about until they get one. from the outside looking in its horrible everyone talks about tight trails and getting high centered and blah blah blah... then they ride in one or get one for family reasons and they love it. i bought a 4 door because i wanted to be able to have more than just me and my wife ride with us. That hardly ever happens in all honesty. But the ride is soooooo much better, and the stability is second to none. sure you have to take different lines sometimes but you will be at the top more times than a two seater i can guarantee. a set of 30"s a good skid plate and a set of tree kickers and you will be unstoppable.
on a side note i dont get why no one likes the belt drive. i would much rather take a belt (that is rated for over 150hp) if it does break on the trail for 100$ than have my machine be down for however long to replace a 2k$ clutch..... just me though.

Reactions: JTW and sharp
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wildcat 1000x. Perform great and 18" of travel. Plus they sound great with that v twin.

Reactions: sharp
BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey

Mar 29, 2017
Mid TN
Really? I have a buddy with a General, I think the thing rides like a Cadillac. It is a little more tippy than a Rzr but nothing like the Pioneer. It has great power and nice big Fox shocks. It feels more like driving a car with the cockpit and seats. I've never drove it but never had a problem seeing from the passenger seat.
I'm making do with the Pioneer right now as well. Resale is terrible so I might as well keep driving it. When I find a machine I can't live without I'll buy it ;)
i could see getting car sick in a 4 door general you are tucked in there pretty tight, and its not like you have stadium seating.

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I have sat in pretty much every Sxs and drove quite a few. I too am in love with the idea of the x3 but it would be horrible at my family’s type of riding. As most know I’m not a Polaris fan but the General was the biggest pos I’ve ever ridden, it feels like an old Snap-Tite model very cheaply constructed. If I were to buy a sport right now it would be Yami YXZ for dependability reasons, I’m positive it would outlive the others by a long ways but by the time it’s woods ready it would be coming on 30k and still have many situations where it would struggle to stay up with Pioneer in our woods.
It’s a pain to find the exact right machine for us but like many others we need lots of seating and as far as where we ride there are unfortunately two options Pioneer and Wolverine x4. Loved the x4 in many ways, seating, position, quietness and build quality smokes the Pioneer but it’s back to the damn rubber band even though it’s the best rubber band. The machine just didn’t have that oh s*** factor at all. In fact I’d much rather drive our little 700cc Wolverine any day. Many positives but it’s still a rubber band with no driver input.
I think the answer for many people is right around the corner from Honda it’s whether they can wait it out. Many different machines for different people but there can’t be one ever that does every job. Even though I’d absolutely love a sport it’s got to be for family first and a Limo will not get around our woods. Sheer power and suspension travel doesn’t help if you can’t fit through the trees.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
I would bet money that when or if honda comes out with a sport machine they will offer a turbo version. they would have to if they wanted to keep up with the performance market.
They very well may but I don't think they have to. Maybe for the dunes but around mountainous terrain turbo is useless. More horses equal more broken parts. The power of the Pioneer 1000 is plenty IMO. Also, they appear to have fixed the clutch issue. I think they should stick with a proven setup and put it in a sport frame/body. Once those are proven to be reliable they can add some more horses.

BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey

Mar 29, 2017
Mid TN
They very well may but I don't think they have to. Maybe for the dunes but around mountainous terrain turbo is useless. More horses equal more broken parts. The power of the Pioneer 1000 is plenty IMO. Also, they appear to have fixed the clutch issue. I think they should stick with a proven setup and put it in a sport frame/body. Once those are proven to be reliable they can add some more horses.
i have to say i completely and wholeheartedly disagree. we arent talking about huge turbos that need VGT, or compound systems to spool quickly. there is virtually no lag there is instant power and torque, sure if you through a turboed motor in something not designed for it you will be breaking stuff left and right thats why every turbo machine was redesigned with beefier stronger parts.

and how many rock rods or ultra 4 cars do you see running around with 4 cylinders? more power and torque makes climbing AND crawling easier. and with a 1000cc cap the only way to do that is by forced induction. not coming out with a turbo machine in todays day and age would be like bringing a mule to the Kentucky derby. the sport market is all about the horse power race why would honda wait so long just to come out a day late and a dollar short. i just dont see it. Something i also dont see them doing is keeping an automatic transmission. a CVT design just makes too much sense in the sport market for factory east coast west coast machine.

dont get me wrong im sure they will have a line up with N/A 1000 motors for price point, but that wont be their flagship performance machine.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
i have to say i completely and wholeheartedly disagree. we arent talking about huge turbos that need VGT, or compound systems to spool quickly. there is virtually no lag there is instant power and torque, sure if you through a turboed motor in something not designed for it you will be breaking stuff left and right thats why every turbo machine was redesigned with beefier stronger parts.

and how many rock rods or ultra 4 cars do you see running around with 4 cylinders? more power and torque makes climbing AND crawling easier. and with a 1000cc cap the only way to do that is by forced induction. not coming out with a turbo machine in todays day and age would be like bringing a mule to the Kentucky derby. the sport market is all about the horse power race why would honda wait so long just to come out a day late and a dollar short. i just dont see it. Something i also dont see them doing is keeping an automatic transmission. a CVT design just makes too much sense in the sport market for factory east coast west coast machine.

dont get me wrong im sure they will have a line up with N/A 1000 motors for price point, but that wont be their flagship performance machine.
I’d put a big chunk of change on Honda coming out with only a normal aspirated engine at first. They will sell those and then come out with a turbo unit. It makes sense on a marketing standpoint.

BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey

Mar 29, 2017
Mid TN
i would agree if the Sport SxS market or even the Turbo market was new. but the research has already been done and shows people want a near 200hp sport side by side. to date arctic cat is the only manufacture to not offer a turbo machine and they have already promised one in there wildcat xx platform or as a bolt on accessory. If they offer one and hold less than 4% of the market i think it would be a mistake for honda not jump on it. ive heard everyone who has grown up with hondas say they would be all over it if honda came out with a sport. your competition has already come out with variants for mud, rock, and tight trails why not commit to the market instead of testing the waters?

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Basing on Hondas past, they will have a very durable machine that works pretty well, but wont blow the doors off of anything. They will be conservative with the HP and chassis, that's just what they do and have always done unless you go all the way back to the mid-late 80's. Think 250R, 350X VFR's etc. They haven't been out front performance wise since. Their big sportbikes, CBR's were always behind the Yamaha R1 and Suzuki GSXR. The Yamaha YFZ450 was a step ahead of the TRX450R etc. Not saying they are bad machines, far from it, I had 3 CBR's and 3 450r quads myself but I expect their sport SXS to be similar. Great machine, but not pushing the performance envelope so to speak. I think for a multi use machine, the Pioneer is a great rig, but if you look around there are other models that do certain things better, go faster, ride smoother, better workhorse or whatever.

BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey

Mar 29, 2017
Mid TN
i also want to say that this is why i enjoy this forum so much. you can actually debate and discus things with people and it not turn into a 10th grade argument. if this were RZRFORUM people would have already resulted to correcting grammar mistakes and threatining to beat someones A$$ via keyboard. Sorry OP @strongbuilt for skewing your thread. i will say that any machine you get will have its trade off, whether it be the 3 wheel drive can am, fire prone PoPo, or odd ball Yammaha. what i would recommend is taking a look at who all you ride with. because you know something is going to break or go wrong. do you want to be the odd man out no one has parts for? ive seen it first hand where a simple flat tire, or broken a arm has killed a buddys weekend just because he was the odd man out.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4

We are talking about 2 different things here. If you are climbing up a rock faced wall sure... Turbo and tons of power is what you'll need. If you are crawling on the things we ride, turbo is basically useless. You can virtually do everything in a non-turbo you can in a turbo. The only instance I can see it helping is a super steep hill or something. You just don't need that kind of horsepower around here, it is better suited for the dunes.
Honda has been fine with not being in the Sport world. My guess is they'll ease into it rather than jumping in with both feet. Just like they've done with their past machines... I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time Lol. I think they should/will ease into the sport market and work out kinks along the way. Don't put out a s***ty, troublesome machine just because people are asking for it. That is the POLARIS way not the HONDA way... ;)

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Honda better hurry up cause my kids and Myself are growing out of our house and the money I saved is not safe anymore with my wife wanting and addition built on...Hurry up Honda cause I'm not jumping ship ,I'm waiting.....and you better too or You will be sad. JMO

advertisement