9D550331-CD9A-4183-AC65-6174E56BD372.jpeg

P1000m5 Traveller II

2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe
A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
While I had everything apart, I shaved the CATVOS steering stops down to 7mm hoping to gain some turning radius back. I should have measured them first to see how much I removed but at least I know what they are now. 7mm thick and they still prevent my brake calipers from hitting the A-arm like it was before I installed them. Hopefully it still prevents the CV's from binding.

@AK_Centurion FYI

Signature:

QUOTE by Sharp, Where's Don? He's probably spray painting stuff lmfao!
Thanks Joey. I'll have to see how thick the stops are, then see if I can live with the reduced turning or not. I haven't seen these yet, But do they have a slot so you can just slide the boot back and slip them over the shaft or do you have to remove the tie rod?

Here is the one I saw on Amazon. Pretty sure the parts guy at CATVOS said they used the same ones on the Polaris as the Honda.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0068C49WO/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Reactions: sharp
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thanks Joey. I'll have to see how thick the stops are, then see if I can live with the reduced turning or not. I haven't seen these yet, But do they have a slot so you can just slide the boot back and slip them over the shaft or do you have to remove the tie rod?

Here is the one I saw on Amazon. Pretty sure the parts guy at CATVOS said they used the same ones on the Polaris as the Honda.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0068C49WO/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Those look the same except for color. They just pop on, no need to in-bolt anything. You will have to cut the metal band on the inside of the boots though. I used some heavy duty zip ties about a thousand miles ago and they haven't leaked any water yet. If you know me, that's saying something. CP says I'm like a duck, either flying or swimming.

I used some axle grease where the boot seals under the zip tie. Also, I filled the boot about half way with grease just incase.

I forgot about you having extra lift, you may not want to shave the stops any.

Here's a pic of the nut you want to put a wrench on make sure it's tight. Both of mine were a little loose and causing some slop in the steering. My other finger is pointing at the "stop" that is popped in place.

54b994b7fbdfad8ee53f7c0b978acb4a

Reactions: sharp
A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
Those look the same except for color. They just pop on, no need to in-bolt anything. You will have to cut the metal band on the inside of the boots though. I used some heavy duty zip ties about a thousand miles ago and they haven't leaked any water yet. If you know me, that's saying something. CP says I'm like a duck, either flying or swimming.

I used some axle grease where the boot seals under the zip tie. Also, I filled the boot about half way with grease just incase.

Here's a pic of the nut you want to put a wrench on make sure it's tight. Both of mine were a little loose and causing some slop in the steering. My other finger is pointing at the "stop" that is popped in place.

View attachment 26131
That is good to hear. I really didn't want to have to pull the tie rods and have to replace that locking washer they use. I think I was able to reuse the old clamps the 1st time I had to straighten my tie rod. I ended up buying the 3 different type of clamp tools. Just looked at the clamps, shouldn't be a problem reusing those.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
With the pioneer all loaded up and ready to go riding tomorrow, I was left with the foreman to pull the firewood cart up to the house. This 2003 foreman 450 is a bad machine. It ain't much of a trail machine because it will beat you to death on the rough stuff but it's so heavy, wide, low geared and long that it will pull like a mule.

E8b97b503fe55fcee557595dd92af124

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
2000 miles and it still starts in about 1 second. Days like today make me happy that I Kept it.

Signature:

A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK

View attachment 26131
My stops just showed up today. They measure out at 11.22mm. I am just going to run them like that.

Reactions: joeymt33
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2000 miles and it still starts in about 1 second. Days like today make me happy that I Kept it.

Signature:

I have the same machine and would never get rid of it. I have 9400 miles on mine and the guy I run around with has about 12000. The only thing we've fixed is a rear wheel bearing in each and a couple of batteries. I have literally beat the snot out of mine and it keeps asking for more.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Well crap, isn't this some bull from Bull Run.....

9bef4b3bfe3d8ff03344eddec4114f6f

Looks like I got work to do before the Friday ride. I will get a new one on the way but go ahead and rebuild this one.

advertisement
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
:eek:Well you know what they say...."You mess with the Bull...You get the horns!" Lol
But this may be an opportunity for you to upgrade front axle...what do you thinko_O

I believe I will keep using stock axles because if I upgrade the axle strength, the next thing to break could be the differential.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yep smart man! That sucks Joey what happened

I'll have this axle cleaned, repacked and installed before the nights over with just in case I don't get a new one before Friday. I got to work most of the week in Georgia and I won't have much time to prepare for the ride next Friday.

Wish me luck, last time I tried to reuse one that got dirt in it it was still making noise. And I had completely disassemble that wanted ran it through the parts washer.

advertisement