BrophyCreek

BrophyCreek

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 8, 2016
New Richmond, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Need some help diagnosing this one: 2016 P1K-5 DLX.

Initially died when I pulled up to a stop sign. Didn't want to move. Let is sit, then was able to go about a mile. But then realized it would shift up, not down. So eventually lugged out. Flashed a code, but I can't figure the code out. Two long, four short. So I thought 114 or 11-4 but longs are ten? So 24-0 or 20-4? None of those are on the list for the transmission. After sitting overnight it acts normally. The day before, right before it occurred, I was running hard and fast for a fairly long period. Probably 20 + miles driving it like a rally car. . My initial thought was the clutches over heated. Weather was coolish. 60ish and rain. Anyone know what code that is? Any thoughts on root cause?

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What part of the dash is flashing the code?
Check engine light?
Gear indicator?
Can you snap a video, upload to youtube and share here?
If gear indicator, go into the site service manual, https://hondasxs.com/threads/honda-sxs-service-manuals-500-700-1000-talon.34567/ and search for DCT codes.

That page # is from a 2017 manual, so it might have changed.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Could it have been a 44-2, that's related to the DCT

DTC 44-2 (EQT SENSOR HIGH
VOLTAGE)
• Before starting the inspection, check for loose or
poor contact of the EQT sensor 2P and PCM 33P
(Gray) connectors, and recheck the OTC.
1. EOT Sensor System Inspection
Check the EQT sensor with the MCS.
Is about 5 Vindicated?
YES - GO TO STEP 2.
NO - Intermittent failure
2. EQT Sensor Inspection
Turn the ignition switch OFF (0).
Disconnect the EOT sensor 2P connector (page 11-
59).
Connect the wire harness side 2P connector [1 ]
terminals with a jumper wire [2].
Connection: Blue/yellow - Green/white
Turn the ignition switch ON (I).
Check the EOT sensor with the MCS.
Is about O Vindicated?
YES - Faulty EOT sensor
NO - GO TO STEP 3.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The P1K manual I have is 2016-2020 so your info should be good
24 is DCT related as well. If something has failed, it may only auto shift 1 way?
Sounds like it wouldn't downshift when he was coming up to a stop. Maybe check shift motor connections?
His machine has had a rough life since Takeover. Maybe something jarred loose?

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Assume you had the clutch campaign done back then? Not 100% sure with this issue if it has anything to do with it tho?
Just a thought

Reactions: ChadD and TxDoc
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X

Initially died when I pulled up to a stop sign. Didn't want to move. Let is sit, then was able to go about a mile. But then realized it would shift up, not down. So eventually lugged out. Flashed a code, but I can't figure the code out. Two long, four short. So I thought 114 or 11-4 but longs are ten? So 24-0 or 20-4? None of those are on the list for the transmission. After sitting overnight it acts normally. The day before, right before it occurred, I was running hard and fast for a fairly long period. Probably 20 + miles driving it like a rally car. . My initial thought was the clutches over heated. Weather was coolish. 60ish and rain. Anyone know what code that is? Any thoughts on root cause?

VOIDH on the pioneer rally car wannabeing

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This will cause clutch issues.

FYI, It has a manual tool in the little tool case so you can manually shift it by hand on the engine case.
But I would be no one knows about that.
Can you shift it? Or does it just lock the trans into 2nd gear?
I know of the lock 2nd gear piece, wasn't aware you could shift remotely like the P5.

advertisement
BrophyCreek

BrophyCreek

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 8, 2016
New Richmond, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry yes, gear indicator is where the code was. Another symptom as I was trying to limp it back to camp was that I would get about a mile depending on the terrain due to up shifting only. It would lug out. Stop, let cool down for 10-15 minutes. If I tried to go too soon, it would start and run normally. If I tried to shift it I to gear, hard clunk and the engine would die. Like dumping the clutch when stopped and in a high gear. Did this P to R and N to H. I ended up getting my truck and winching onto the trailer. Home the next day and have ran up and down the driveway a few times. Shifting is normal. I did get it to normal operating temp, but not hot

BrophyCreek

BrophyCreek

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 8, 2016
New Richmond, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So, she has been running fine since this happened a few weeks ago and I haven't had any time to dig into try to diagnose it. But yesterday it happened again running down to my boat. Same deal. Shifted up in auto but not back down when I came to a stop. Had just a dash on the gear indicator. Was able to roll in N into a parking spot. Took the boat out and a few hours later fired it up when I got back and was able to put it in manual and drive it home. When I first turned on the key and waiting for the fuel pump, it sounded like the shift motor was shifting it back down to 1st while stationary. That sounds like a bad connection/maybe corrosion somewhere /maybe a bad wire?? Took the week off so I'll be digging into it today or tomorrow. Wish me luck on finding something definitive. Intermittent problems suck to troubleshoot.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
check all battery connections\cabling\etc.- these are voltage sensitive

then - inspect neutral switch\wiring and clean\inspect shift motor

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Grab your phone and video the dashes in the gear indicator if/when it happens again. That will point us in the right direction.

Reactions: Rayger143
BrophyCreek

BrophyCreek

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 8, 2016
New Richmond, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Grab your phone and video the dashes in the gear indicator if/when it happens again. That will point us in the right direction.
Will do. But in the moment I was crossing a busy road, so I'm not positive, but I don't think it flashed the code. Only a steady dash on the gear indicator.

Reactions: 906UP
BrophyCreek

BrophyCreek

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 8, 2016
New Richmond, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This screams shift motor.
The motor itself failing? Up shift but no downshift is a common issue? I had a similar thing years ago on a Foreman. That turned out to be the gear position indicator. I took it apart, cleaned it and regreased. It actually looked pristine, but that solved the issue

Reactions: Rayger143 and 906UP
advertisement