P1000 Trans problems

D

Delta_Duck

Sep 11, 2016
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Ok i finally got to test drive the 1000 and a 700 this afternoon, after driving the 1000 i have to say i wouldn't want a 700, the 1000 5 is definitely the machine for me and the family. But i have a couple of questions for those that have had these a while the dealer said they have had several returned for repairs for trans problems of different sorts. Just curious what you folks have experienced as for problems. They were quick to point out that the can ams hardly ever come in for repairs but hondas come back quite alot. I have never driven a cam am and didnt today, i did test drive a polaris 1000 general and it is a great handling and riding machine, but we want a 4 seater and didnt really like the looks of the general crew that is coming out. So Im still sticking with the 1000 5 unless these problems they speak of are common place. I know they sell both machines and most of them ride the can ams so they maybe partial to them, but after driving the 1000 5 i really like it just worried about the issues some have mentioned on them
Amy thoughts? Any good advice to do for the 1000 5 to make it a reliable ride. The other big compliant was the heat cominh from inder the seat, it was hot today and we rode for about 30 minutes and the heat was very noticeable.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Glad to see you on here. I have 111 miles on my 1000-5 and it does get hot. I made my own heat shield and use a fan (both mods detailed extensively on this site) and the heat is not a problem at all. Will be difficult to get away from heat in any machine, especially if you use a windshield.
I don't know what trans problems he is talking about. There have been a few with burned up clutches, but that hasn't been a big problem. Others will chime in, but the 1000-5 is a great utility machine.
Expand on how you will use it and you can get some more specific info.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
D

Delta_Duck

Sep 11, 2016
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Glad to see you on here. I have 111 miles on my 1000-5 and it does get hot. I made my own heat shield and use a fan (both mods detailed extensively on this site) and the heat is not a problem at all. Will be difficult to get away from heat in any machine, especially if you use a windshield.
I don't know what trans problems he is talking about. There have been a few with burned up clutches, but that hasn't been a big problem. Others will chime in, but the 1000-5 is a great utility machine.
Expand on how you will use it and you can get some more specific info.
I will mainly use it for hunting in woods, for deer and flooded fields and timber for duck hunting. I cant remember the actual trans problems he said something about them slipping and going to a high gear when going down hills.

D

Delta_Duck

Sep 11, 2016
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
The other problem he mentioned was running aggresive tires on them was creating some type of problem with the trans. I think maybe he said the bigger tires were straining the gearing, i maybe saying that wrong. I could see the bigger aggressive tires causing problems, because a friend of mine had a rincon with those type tires and he had to have his axles and trans replaced, but he rode in mud and water all the time.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Ok i finally got to test drive the 1000 and a 700 this afternoon, after driving the 1000 i have to say i wouldn't want a 700, the 1000 5 is definitely the machine for me and the family. But i have a couple of questions for those that have had these a while the dealer said they have had several returned for repairs for trans problems of different sorts. Just curious what you folks have experienced as for problems. They were quick to point out that the can ams hardly ever come in for repairs but hondas come back quite alot. I have never driven a cam am and didnt today, i did test drive a polaris 1000 general and it is a great handling and riding machine, but we want a 4 seater and didnt really like the looks of the general crew that is coming out. So Im still sticking with the 1000 5 unless these problems they speak of are common place. I know they sell both machines and most of them ride the can ams so they maybe partial to them, but after driving the 1000 5 i really like it just worried about the issues some have mentioned on them
Amy thoughts? Any good advice to do for the 1000 5 to make it a reliable ride. The other big compliant was the heat cominh from inder the seat, it was hot today and we rode for about 30 minutes and the heat was very noticeable.

Sounds like a dealership with lots of Can Am inventory to sell.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
by my estimation there have been about 15 or 20 people on this forum reporting clutch/tranny issues. Mostly related to burnt clutches. I really have no idea how many P1k users frequent the forum, but I'm guessing thousands. so, maybe 1 or 2% of P1k owners had clutch issues (maybe less)? my opinion is that most of it is lack of understanding of how the machine works and operator error. I recently rode with a buddy who burnt the clutch in his rzr900 climbing rocks. I watched the whole thing happen. it was not the machine's fault, it was operator error.
the heat is easily remedied by the bilge blowers (extensive examples on this forum).
the p1k is a solid workhorse, and a great hunting buggy. it is not a balls to the walls rzr1000 turbo with 110hp and 24" of travel.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine has 989 miles on it and not one problem (except the seat heat which is easily solved with a bilge blower/heat shielding). I've used it probably 95% of the time playing in mud or climbing rock piles. I play pretty hard with it. It has 30" tires (actual height is lil over 28") and have added quite a bit of weight with accessories. Also drive it on the road as it's registered. So far it's been rock steady reliable. Driving the dct can be summarized into one sentence....dont slip the clutch. Gas it and go, don't screw around with it.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Mine has 989 miles on it and not one problem (except the seat heat which is easily solved with a bilge blower/heat shielding). I've used it probably 95% of the time playing in mud or climbing rock piles. I play pretty hard with it. It has 30" tires (actual height is lil over 28") and have added quite a bit of weight with accessories. Also drive it on the road as it's registered. So far it's been rock steady reliable. Driving the dct can be summarized into one sentence....dont slip the clutch. Gas it and go, don't screw around with it.

Ditto for me except I had a clutch failure early on (exigent circumstances) once fixed has been rock solid with 1000 miles since repair. I work it pretty hard. As @Delton said don't pussyfoot around just drive it at 5mph and up it is good to go.

Reactions: joeymt33
H

HondaTech

I hate to hate on a dealer or other brands, but for the most part multi line dealers wont talk Honda's up because they wont see you back. They love selling Polaris and Can-am, cause you'll keep coming back when the junk destroys itself. I work for a Honda only dealer, so I'm biased, but we don't talk other brands down when selling Pioneers. We give the high points of the Pioneer and what it does that others don't. Many Polaris guys who are buying Hondas will say their tired of working on their stuff more than their riding. Can-am's are electrical nightmares and the General isn't anything new, it's a RZR with a bed, still the same old Polaris stuff underneath. Can-am, in my experience has a better product than Polaris ever will. Polaris doesn't stand behind anything they make, I honestly don't see how they've stayed in business. They've kind of got the Apple/IPhone thing going one, people blinded by what their buying. Its just the new thing that everyone doesn't have, so I've got to have it.

When it comes to trans issues, I've had 2 P1K return with clutch problems. Both 5 seaters, 1 deluxe, 1 non. One was slipping, the other stuck together(pulled in gear). Neither were explainable, I cant really say what caused either one. But I've also got several out there with out any issues, for instance; a bean farmer north of us has a 3P with at last count 2300 miles and no issues(other than the heat) but he loves it. Traded in a 20,000 mile Big Red for it, so he's not easy on this thing. I think Honda has the problem solved, but I'm not going to act like it's not a issue or play it off. I'm just as concerned about this stuff as you guys are. Like I've said I hate putting other rigs down, but when people start throwing my Hondas under the bus, their rubberbands will get the full brunt back.

advertisement
D

Delta_Duck

Sep 11, 2016
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
I hate to hate on a dealer or other brands, but for the most part multi line dealers wont talk Honda's up because they wont see you back. They love selling Polaris and Can-am, cause you'll keep coming back when the junk destroys itself. I work for a Honda only dealer, so I'm biased, but we don't talk other brands down when selling Pioneers. We give the high points of the Pioneer and what it does that others don't. Many Polaris guys who are buying Hondas will say their tired of working on their stuff more than their riding. Can-am's are electrical nightmares and the General isn't anything new, it's a RZR with a bed, still the same old Polaris stuff underneath. Can-am, in my experience has a better product than Polaris ever will. Polaris doesn't stand behind anything they make, I honestly don't see how they've stayed in business. They've kind of got the Apple/IPhone thing going one, people blinded by what their buying. Its just the new thing that everyone doesn't have, so I've got to have it.

When it comes to trans issues, I've had 2 P1K return with clutch problems. Both 5 seaters, 1 deluxe, 1 non. One was slipping, the other stuck together(pulled in gear). Neither were explainable, I cant really say what caused either one. But I've also got several out there with out any issues, for instance; a bean farmer north of us has a 3P with at last count 2300 miles and no issues(other than the heat) but he loves it. Traded in a 20,000 mile Big Red for it, so he's not easy on this thing. I think Honda has the problem solved, but I'm not going to act like it's not a issue or play it off. I'm just as concerned about this stuff as you guys are. Like I've said I hate putting other rigs down, but when people start throwing my Hondas under the bus, their rubberbands will get the full

D

Delta_Duck

Sep 11, 2016
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
I think you hit the nail on the head. Its funny how "salesmen", differ from the techs on these machines. Of course they are selling what people want, but i learned along time ago trust the man working them not the one selling them, thanks for the reply Honda tech

Reactions: joeymt33
cwalton

cwalton

Who has more fun!
Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2016
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
1300 miles and no issues except heat and alignment (fixed both with info from this site). Hondasxs.com rocks!

Reactions: Hudge
TractorMan

TractorMan

May 19, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ditto for me except I had a clutch failure early on (exigent circumstances) once fixed has been rock solid with 1000 miles since repair. I work it pretty hard. As @Delton said don't pussyfoot around just drive it at 5mph and up it is good to go.
I ride in my hunting club mostly which mainly consists of tree farms. they harvest the pine tree's every 15 years and make a mess right out of Hell while doing it. Tree limbs everywhere, stumps and skidder ruts. If you were to gas it and go where I ride you would tear the pioneer or any other utv up for that matter in a few minutes. I had a Yamaha Rhino before I bought the Pioneer that I currently own and had no problem driving it slowly through this type of rough terrain. Likewise I have over 450 miles on my Pioneer going through the same type of terrain slowly, 3mph or less sometimes. I keep it in low manual and crawl around. My Rhino lasted 12 years in this kind of environment and cost half of what this rig cost. Changed the belt one time in 12 years and it was not slipping when I changed it. Just thought I got the goody out of it. (I also sold the Rhino for over half of what I paid for it) The Pioneer had better be able to take the low and slow driving and last as long or I won't buy another. Bought this one because of Honda's reputation for quality. I hope they do not disappoint. So far so good!

Reactions: BULLDOG6
B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I will mainly use it for hunting in woods, for deer and flooded fields and timber for duck hunting.

you cant stop in a muskeg or swamp or flooded field. you wont have any power to crawl out of the hole you will sink into. you wont be stuck, but you cant move. you cannot back out of a mud hole. you cannot go forward. all you can do is sit there until someone pulls you.

if your going through anything other than water or dirt, you cannot stop. if you do, you are screwed. keep that in mind.

i dont know where you hunt or what the land is like, but where we happen to hunt, there is no trees to winch out with. if you stop in the skeg, its up to your buddy to pull you out. just happened to me again the other day. i pulled into a mud hole and decided it was getting too deep. tried to back out, and there i was. i was not stuck, but i could not move.

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I ride in my hunting club mostly which mainly consists of tree farms. they harvest the pine tree's every 15 years and make a mess right out of Hell while doing it. Tree limbs everywhere, stumps and skidder ruts. If you were to gas it and go where I ride you would tear the pioneer or any other utv up for that matter in a few minutes. I had a Yamaha Rhino before I bought the Pioneer that I currently own and had no problem driving it slowly through this type of rough terrain. Likewise I have over 450 miles on my Pioneer going through the same type of terrain slowly, 3mph or less sometimes. I keep it in low manual and crawl around. My Rhino lasted 12 years in this kind of environment and cost half of what this rig cost. Changed the belt one time in 12 years and it was not slipping when I changed it. Just thought I got the goody out of it. (I also sold the Rhino for over half of what I paid for it) The Pioneer had better be able to take the low and slow driving and last as long or I won't buy another. Bought this one because of Honda's reputation for quality. I hope they do not disappoint. So far so good!

mine has let me down. if you stop your done. i suggest going out to play in a swamp before you go hunting or do any real trip so you can get a feel for what the machines limitations are.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The transmission is a wonderful thing in this machine really. Have owned many belts and won't want to go back.the engine braking and control is far better. We are one of the ones with clutch issues. We ask a lot more then most with the machine. You should keep the r's up a little and be careful what you try to back up out of, for it doesn't have low reverse. You need to be a little aggressive backing out.
Heat sucks but can be fixed easily. Actually can be used as a positive in the winter by reversing your blower.
Snorkel this vehicle if around water-just a must.Again we learned the lesson there. Easy to do very cheap look around through the site.
That's really about it. If problems are to be found in a rig I will find them and have, this is why My family are on Honda, many actually. I've had more trouble then anyone around but I'll never go back, our driving style isn't meant for the other brands.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mc357 and tjoreo
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Judging from your user name, you too are a duck hunter in East Arkansas I had mine for a few hunts last year, and in the flooded rice field we had leased it did everything it needed to do, no issues at all. I had a RZR 1000 for the first part of the season and it just wasn't what I needed. Being able to handle 2-5 people is great and its not so long that it gets hung on levee's like other 4-5 seaters would.

I run larger 30" aggressive tires as well, and it turns them fine as long as you keep it in low and 1st gear and your momentum up. A lot of people complain about not being able to turn heavy mud tires, but that only occurs if you sink it and get the tires all bogged up in a bind and try to get going again from a stop. These trannies wont let you "dump the clutch" like you would a normal manual transmission to get the tires moving when they're locked up. I have never had any issues with being able to keep the tires moving in the sticky stuff. It doesn't sound like you are a deep-mud type of rider like so many are these days, so I have no doubt the Honda will do what you need it to do for hunting purposes.

I also recommend contacting Honda of Russellville, that's where I bought mine and they were a pleasure to work with. They saved me a lot of money up front and time from driving to Tennessee where I thought I had found a better deal, but they worked with me to make it an easy decision to buy locally.