P500 Trail plowing question

U

uncyboo

Nov 23, 2016
Shelby, Montana
Ownership

1. 500
Thats cold! I went jogging this morning for 6 miles. It was 5 degrees.
Gets cold up here on the high line. Fairly typical. Would tell you that you can get used to it and that's true till the wind starts. I don't think anyone can get used to 15 below and 30 - 35 MPH wind. Brutal.

Reactions: trigger
tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I haven't read every answer, but I do a lot of plowing on gravel and black top. I too have some trails that I lift my plow on just to they don't get too deep for my machine to clear. If I were trying to accomplish more extensive trail maintenance like the original post mentioned, I would look to make some sort of a drag. Once snow has been moved it will harden up relatively quickly. So drag it, and let it set overnight. Plowing with your blade up a few inches shouldn't be any problem (I do it), but the drag should accomplish your task better IMHO. You could make the drag in a manner so as not get hung up on the side brush by making a "V" attachment to your machine.

Mandryk

Mandryk

Jan 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the advice.
I found that my trails are very uneven and the blade dips and catches so I have to keep it 8" above the ground so it will take off the top of a big snowfall. What has worked best for me is to drag 3 tires in a pyramid pattern. Works like a charm and they were free!!!
Cheers

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for the advice.
I found that my trails are very uneven and the blade dips and catches so I have to keep it 8" above the ground so it will take off the top of a big snowfall. What has worked best for me is to drag 3 tires in a pyramid pattern. Works like a charm and they were free!!!
Cheers
The tire idea sounds like a winner to me.