P1000 Tire hopping / shudder / lugging in snow

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
The video is just how it starts. When you try to get going the whole machine vibrates and you cant get anywhere. Well, I can now.

I'm not worried about the clutch when it does that but as it bounces and grabs it putting strain on something. I try to get another video where it starts to get me worried. The ones above are just meant to show the difference in configuration.

Reactions: Plumber32
B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The video is just how it starts. When you try to get going the whole machine vibrates and you cant get anywhere. Well, I can now.

I'm not worried about the clutch when it does that but as it bounces and grabs it putting strain on something. I try to get another video where it starts to get me worried. The ones above are just meant to show the difference in configuration.
Well at the end of the day you got to remember these rigs are built to take a moderate amount of abuse. And while the clutch may be weak the other components are pretty tough. I wouldn't sweat putting your rig through a little well deserved punishment.
Oh man that's way different than what I thought you were describing. That's normal. That's just snow chunking away as your tire claws and loses traction.

The stock tires are terrible. They won't ever be better at anything other than being the worst. They are the best at that.

I haven't got a chance to bury my intimidators in snow yet for fear of never getting my rig out.

The best bet for snow would probably be car style tires for Winter with studs. Winter compound tires are very soft and grab snow and everything better. For snow and ice you want surface area.

It's doubtful that the shocks are going to help much, but I suppose it's possible it will help a little. Compression doesn't change weight per tire, flotation, surface area, or really anything like that.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds almost like a truck with different gear ratios in the diffs while in 4wd, front tires spinning faster than rears. What could cause this on a SXS i do not know, certainly odd.

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Sounds almost like a truck with different gear ratios in the diffs while in 4wd, front tires spinning faster than rears. What could cause this on a SXS i do not know, certainly odd.
My Polaris did that in winter as well. Basically the tires lose and find traction and somehow it happens in rhythm and just gets worse and worse until your stuck. I haven't tried the Honda yet.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
My Polaris did that in winter as well. Basically the tires lose and find traction and somehow it happens in rhythm and just gets worse and worse until your stuck. I haven't tried the Honda yet.

Yeah - like that.
And each bounce the tires dig deeper. The bouncing becomes stronger the harder you push it. Almost feels like resonance that only happens in certain conditions - not all snow does it on mine.

Flatter profile with deflated tires as well as stiffening the suspension to reduce the tendency to bounce allowed me to roll up onto the slushy snow instead of digging down into it (as much). I know you're not buying it @Boomboom907 but I made it up the hill after making the changes.

I also agree with you on the stock tires but I wanted to try them being that they are less aggressive and have a flatter profile. Didn't help. Wish I had @Plumber32 s tires to try on that stuff.

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Yeah - like that.
And each bounce the tires dig deeper. The bouncing becomes stronger the harder you push it. Almost feels like resonance that only happens in certain conditions - not all snow does it on mine.

Flatter profile with deflated tires as well as stiffening the suspension to reduce the tendency to bounce allowed me to roll up onto the slushy snow instead of digging down into it (as much). I know you're not buying it @Boomboom907 but I made it up the hill after making the changes.

I also agree with you on the stock tires but I wanted to try them being that they are less aggressive and have a flatter profile. Didn't help. Wish I had @Plumber32 s tires to try on that stuff.
Nah. It's not that I don't buy it, it's just I know that tires are the biggest thing. That's like 80% of the battle. I'm sure the shocks help, but not like having good snow tires would. Mud tires make very poor snow tires. Rock tires make poor mud tires. Etcetcetc

Reactions: elkguide and ghost
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah - like that.

If you watch some of the trucks in the Arctic they run big tires with low pressure and very little tread.

Reactions: joeymt33
HoundDog

HoundDog

Sep 11, 2016
North Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah - like that.

well said, exactly what I was thinking, all snow is different and the machine has too much torque to bite in certain conditions, but I also agree that tuning the shocks is a great improvement. I love driving in the snow. slap some chains on and it will go like a tank.