P1000 Tire hopping / shudder / lugging in snow

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I've seen it mentioned a couple times but cant find a thread about it.

I was riding in some thick slushy snow today - maybe 6 inches deep and the wheels would shutter / engine lugging. Which components Is this hard on ? Any ways to reduce it ?

I found running manual helps but I just couldnt get thru this stuff without shudder - had to turn around. Low gear. 4wd. RPMs were 3000+. 8 - 12 mph

A few weeks ago I ran for miles thru almost 2 feet of snow without a problem and probably could again - I think it just the consistency of this slush.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
That's the beautiful thing about high gears in an off-road rig. They f***ing suck.

Check your air cleaner and pray it's clogged to hell. If you have a snorkel try reverting to stock. You may be robbing air with too narrow diameter of pipe.

But ultimately it's the gearing. welcome to my club. It's a nice club. I'm a dick, but the club is nice. So there's that.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

J

JTW

That's the beautiful thing about high gears in an off-road rig. They f***ing suck.

Check your air cleaner and pray it's clogged to hell. If you have a snorkel try reverting to stock. You may be robbing air with too narrow diameter of pipe.

But ultimately it's the gearing. welcome to my club. It's a nice club. I'm a dick, but the club is nice. So there's that.

Lmao!!

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've seen it mentioned a couple times but cant find a thread about it.

I was riding in some thick slushy snow today - maybe 6 inches deep and the wheels would shutter / engine lugging. Which components Is this hard on ? Any ways to reduce it ?

I found running manual helps but I just couldnt get thru this stuff without shudder - had to turn around. Low gear. 4wd. RPMs were 3000+. 8 - 12 mph

A few weeks ago I ran for miles thru almost 2 feet of snow without a problem and probably could again - I think it just the consistency of this slush.
You run spinning and hopping. Your not lugging it at 3000rpms

Reactions: ghost
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

That's funny, and true. No ones ever leveled that complaint on the P5. ;)

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
You run spinning and hopping. Your not lugging it at 3000rpms
Yup. But the only thing between 0 and hopping is clutch. I might have to subscribe to the @Boomboom907 news letter.

Not a big deal yesterday cause I was trying go somewhere. Big problem if Im trying to get back from somewhere.

Reactions: JTW
B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Yup. But the only thing between 0 and hopping is clutch. I might have to subscribe to the @Boomboom907 news letter.

Not a big deal yesterday cause I was trying go somewhere. Big problem if Im trying to get back from somewhere.
Sorry I just emailed my last copy.

Reactions: ghost
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Sorry I just emailed my last copy.

LOL - too late now but if you copy and pasted it before you sent it, you could have made more.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I'm still not used to having decent shocks. I bet I could get better traction by tweaking them on the trail.
Next time...

Reactions: Plumber32
B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm still not used to having decent shocks. I bet I could get better traction by tweaking them on the trail.
Next time...
What do you have?

advertisement
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Elka Stage 4.
Im thinking a little more compression would keep the wheel connected to the ground.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Elka Stage 4.
Im thinking a little more compression would keep the wheel connected to the ground.
What are you running for tires?

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Shocks won't help much for traction. Your tires are the big thing

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
28" blackwater evos
tire pressure?
Yeah I'd lower them. Aggressive tires hope a lot more in my experience a few weeks ago I was out with a buddy. His tires hopped so bad drove him nuts. Where my tensor regulators which are basically a truck tire spin real nice and don't hope because they are taking little bites. The zillas I had on my 700 were terrible for wheel hop in the snow. I'd try 6 or 7 psi.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Success.
I went up the trail again today. Got a little further than yesterday cause it was colder last night and froze everything up a bit.

Started going up a slope and the tire hopping started.
I increased shock compression 5 clicks and got further. Then more hopping as it got steeper.
I lowered the tire pressure from 12 to 8 psi. Elka recommended 14 minimum but looks like I only went up to 12.
At 8 psi I got further up the trail.

Went back and changed tires back to the stock Bighorn 2's. They stopped at the same spot on the trail as the Evo's.

Tried more shock compression and increased rebound this time and got more trail covered up the hill. That extra resistance in the shock is helping to stop the tire hopping and keeps it on the ground.

I'm gonna reload the gear and try the trip I planned yesterday.

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Oh man that's way different than what I thought you were describing. That's normal. That's just snow chunking away as your tire claws and loses traction.

The stock tires are terrible. They won't ever be better at anything other than being the worst. They are the best at that.

I haven't got a chance to bury my intimidators in snow yet for fear of never getting my rig out.

The best bet for snow would probably be car style tires for Winter with studs. Winter compound tires are very soft and grab snow and everything better. For snow and ice you want surface area.

It's doubtful that the shocks are going to help much, but I suppose it's possible it will help a little. Compression doesn't change weight per tire, flotation, surface area, or really anything like that.

IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I've been in snow with my 500 that had all the tires hopping WAY more than that. I'd be in 1st gear just churning away basically digging my way forward. As long as the tires aren't actually stopping rotation I wouldn't think your clutch is taking any added wear.

advertisement