Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thank you for your reply and letting me know the P500 was able to keep up with the larger machines. I assumed it would be fine keeping pace by itself.

I wonder if the power bump the P520 got would help with the load? I'm going to have to test a few options before I really put to bed the idea of a small trailer. But now it looks like I need to reduce the weight and footprint a bit more to make sure I have a fair margin of error. No more dreams of having a fully loaded trailer cap out at 1,000 pounds. Now it looks like I should shoot for about 1/2 of that fully loaded.

With speeds of 30mph, I would think a heavily loaded P520 would be able to keep up.

Rob
Yes, but it wasn’t always 30 mph. often it was 3-5 mph on rough rocky trail, sometimes steep and that’s what would be basically impossible for the P5 with a 1000 lbs behind it. The side trips were the roughest trails, and we did that after making camp and getting the weight off the machines….

So you haven’t bought a SXS yet?

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I've got my P520. It does what I need it too around home and I suspect it will do almost everything I need it to in the mountains. Still trying to narrow down what my options will be. I can see how steep rocky terrain would be difficult to pull a trailer up, especially when the P520 weighs just over 1k itself. Add two people for another 300 pounds, and I would guess about 200 pounds in the bed. I would need to have the trailer as light as possible. Maybe shoot for a loaded 500 pounds. I will just have to start testing with a small utility trailer and see what I think it can do.

Reactions: Montecresto
WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning

My check koozie light, keeps coming on
Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2017
Magnolia Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It
I like this idea. Might be a winner with a very light roof top tent on it. At lease my wife wouldn't be sleeping near the ground that way. And I can see how it would make it easier to secure stuff with more tie down points.

Rob
Its very light weight. I used galvanized chain link fence top rail. The only downside, is it doesn't bend well. It creases in the bends.

Wallace

Wallace

Well that didn't go as planned
Lifetime Member
Jun 28, 2017
Lonoke Arkansas
Ownership

1. 500
I've been looking at this:

Reactions: WhiteLightning
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Looked at that some time ago and didn’t see the suspension specs…
She’s made a couple recent comments about a tent off the ground maybe but not at the height of the roof tents…
Edit: it has standard leaf springs so it’s a no go for me….

Last edited:
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
This might not be bad with a roof top tent on it:

Here is another one that might work:

Rob

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
This might not be bad with a roof top tent on it:

Here is another one that might work:

Rob
The trail stomper is cool, has fox shocks like the SXS. It’s not a sleeper but a rooftop tent can be added if your wife will feel safe/comfortable with that and a 4-5’ ladder climb to get in and out.

The Tentrax is cool, hadn’t seen it before, nice tight package when folded up and a lower tent floor….👍 Very pricey these trailers…….😳

Last edited:
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Very pricey these trailers…….😳
That is certainly a consideration. I hate to spend a ton of money on one of these little trailers unless I know I will use it more than a one-time-trip a year. And I feel I can fabricate one out of aluminum to be lighter and cost less, but the ease of buying one is a huge draw.

I also find that I would rather match the wheel and tire that I run on the P520. The Tentrax rides on 31"s standard I think and can go up to 37s... Biggest issue with that is the weight of the tire. Small tires, generally less weight.

Both are pretty light and I feel like they would tow well and hold enough supplies to make a long trip easier.

I'm trying to work within the boundaries of my particular P520 build... No taller than 73" tall, 11.5" of ground clearance and no wider than 56" The total length is not a huge concern other than the weight creeping up relative to the size.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I had one of these for awhile when I rode a Goldwing. I think the brand name was KompactKamp. I doon't think they're still manufactured but one can still be found for sale used online. Very light and easy to tow.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I guess the trailer was a Komlpact Kamp.. That's the name it was filed under in old photos.

IMG 0103 IMG 0123 IMG 0102

Reactions: crewcabrob
advertisement
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
That's cool! I bet it couldn't have weighed much. I wonder if the Rimrocker would have been too much for it?

I think I'm going to close the door on the trailer stuff in this thread and either start a new one of revitalize and old thread about trailers. This thread is too special to have it go down this road any more. If anyone else has pics or comments about the trip, please post them. I know many followed this story.

Rob

Reactions: Pilgrim and HBarlow
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I had one of these for awhile when I rode a Goldwing. I think the brand name was KompactKamp. I doon't think they're still manufactured but one can still be found for sale used online. Very light and easy to tow.

View attachment 294324
Cute, but it would never make it on any cross country treks I’ve done…

WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning

My check koozie light, keeps coming on
Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2017
Magnolia Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Reactions: Pilgrim
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The two girls were found dead with multiple gunshot wounds in the Medicine lake campground just days before we were there. They had texted a friend that a “creepy man” was lurking about and that if they weren’t heard from again they had been murdered……😳

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Looks like an amazing trip. Thank you for the pictures. I'm so happy that you guys had such a great adventure.

For those that went on the trip, I have a few questions:
  1. I heard that dust was a huge issue on the roads. What seemed to work best for everyone to mitigate breathing it in?
  2. I think someone mentioned that some of the 1000s got a little hot on the trip. Was this an isolated issue with the combination of high altitude desert, being fully loaded and temps? Or are the 1000s a little prone to running hot?
  3. Did everyone have radios on the trip? Something like GMRS/FRS or were people in full HAM mode?
  4. Did anyone have a solar system for charging at camp?
  5. Did any particular type of Pioneer struggle the most on this trip? I have a P520 and feel like it will be well outfitted for the adventure, I just want to prep for the adventure the best I can.
I'm looking forward to next years Peace trail in AZ. I'm still trying to get my ducks in a row for our sleeping accommodations and cooking while on the trail.

My wife and I may be able to do both the AZ trip and a trip that is in British Columbia. This has some loose planning going on right now for sometime in the summer. Given that these are so different in terrain and environmental factors, It will take planning for one extreme to the next: hot desert with very little chance for rain to lush green logging trails and most likely a chance of rain each day...

I take it the steep slickrock picture above was from Fins n Things? Anything particularly difficult on the trail for anyone?

Thank you all!

Rob

advertisement