Pilgrim

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2018
Oklahoma City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
67DA281B 3399 47B6 ACC5 F7F650273BC4
i never noticed this on @WhiteLightning rig before…… did he bring a body from home to be buried in the desert??.? I don’t see it in the later photos….

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
What I need is a trailer with no axle and long travel suspension and no wood in its construction and I may have found something. The Boony Stomper….View attachment 293497View attachment 293498View attachment 293500View attachment 293499
Are you familiar with torsion "half-axle" suspension?

Several weight ratings are available but are not long travel.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Are you familiar with torsion "half-axle" suspension?

Several weight ratings are available but are not long travel.
Yes, but I need more than just axels. The box is shot. That’s why I’m now looking at the Boony Stomper Trailer with the long travel torsion suspension.

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well ...you folks had a great time...I can tell and I'm really sorry we missed out. We're planning for the BC trip in the Summer and Peace trail...so far anyway. Copilot and I did the planned trip to Rapid CIty SD to Southern WY, up to Cody, back down to Riverton backup to Jackson and jumped the ID border, thru the Bitterroots, Salmon, ID and back home...2400 miles in all. Only a little off road stuff.

My collar bone is "reattached" ...shoulder is good as long as I'm gentle and ribs don't hurt anymore. I don't think I'd have made it on the Rimrock 10 miles so I'm glad the doc talked me out of it.

Glad to hear no one was hurt and Monte's towing thingy will have a softer life ahead. I built a 4 link torsion bar trailer years ago for ATV and dirt bike hauling and it had great ground clearance in the middle but I found the FJ-40 I was pulling it with was the limiter and not the trailer and it swayed too much anyway so I went back to straight axles with spring over and 15" tires (31x10.50) Maybe the technology has improved but picking your way thru stuff is my current solution.

Sorry we missed it but VERY glad everyone else survived and had a great time...you did...RIGHT!

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Yes, but I need more than just axels. The box is shot. That’s why I’m now looking at the Boony Stomper Trailer with the long travel torsion suspension.
I looked at the Boony and the website. It looks good but the website reveals nothing about construction materials and methods.

I've owned a lot of rv's over many years and visited a few factories to observe before buying. In my experience, if the manufacturer does not brag about materials and construction methods there may be a reason.

I would visit the factory and pay close attention to every step before laying out the cash. You could find it's very similar to your previous unit that fell apart on the trails.

Reactions: Pilgrim
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I looked at the Boony and the website. It looks good but the website reveals nothing about construction materials and methods.

I've owned a lot of rv's over many years and visited a few factories to observe before buying. In my experience, if the manufacturer does not brag about materials and construction methods there may be a reason.

I would visit the factory and pay close attention to every step before laying out the cash. You could find it's very similar to your previous unit that fell apart on the trails.
Their website does in fact say that the frame is 2”x2” welded steel tubing, insulated and skinned with aluminum….I won’t be leaping into anything however….

Last edited:
L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Their website does in fact say that the frame is 2”x2” welded steel tubing, insulated and skinned with aluminum….I won’t be leaping into anything however…

I use 2x2 sq tube a lot but went to 2x2 angle to cut weight on my 5x5' project which easily could be 3 or 4 feet longer and wheels follow P700 track. It's half the weight and unless you need the strength to haul weight angle works pretty well. I also used 3/4" ply for sides, bottom and so on...seems very rigid and held together with 1/4" stainless bolts to attach ply. Well see how it holds up.

advertisement
ByronM

ByronM

Lifetime Member
Aug 9, 2016
St Charles, Il
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thank you John and Cindy for your efforts to make this ride happen, hats off to the other hard core women that accompanied their husbands on this ride. Always wanted to do a overland trek so I am glad that I did this one.

All in all a great ride with a great group of people.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thank you John and Cindy for your efforts to make this ride happen, hats off to the other hard core women that accompanied their husbands on this ride. Always wanted to do a overland trek so I am glad that I did this one.

All in all a great ride with a great group of people.
Thanks Byron, we’re glad you joined us. It was a blast. Watch for the Arizona Peace trail thread for next fall. Hope you can make it…👍

Reactions: Pilgrim and TripleB
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The RimRocker ride was the first multi day UTV trail ride for my wife and I and it was great. My wife was apprehensive about going, to say the least, but she really enjoyed it. Now we are awaiting signup for the Peace trail.
That’s GREAT news Frank. So glad you’re wife enjoyed it and is ready to go again. Watch for the AZPT thread coming soon….👍😎

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
@lowrider, do you have pics of construction of this trailer?

My big concern is that the twisting and bouncing breaks the seals and it starts leaking in the rain. Then the wood starts rotting, then the next trip it comes apart as mine did. This is what I need to talk to the Booney Stomper manufacturer about. As to the frame, I would think that square tubing could be of a lighter gauge than angle and therefore weight may be the same, and then you have attachment surfaces on both sides for interior paneling and exterior siding????

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I read the comments people have posted about the wives really enjoying the trip. She is totally onboard with the adventure next year. But, she has requested something better than a tent for the adventure. So I guess I will be figuring that out this winter and next summer. A few test runs maybe next summer, then we will be ready for the Peace Trail.

I appreciate that you guys have posted so many great pictures. I was able to live vicariously through your pictures and write ups. I feel terrible that the alternate route I suggested turned out to a five hour nightmare and was the ruination of a good trailer.

Rob

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I feel terrible that the alternate route I suggested turned out to a five hour nightmare and was the ruination of a good trailer.
Please don’t feel bad, @GrnP500 suggested the route as an alternative days before you did, so we were going that way anyway. Then as it turned out, on the way up I decided to hit the Geyser Pass instead which was a very decent road, so first we did that and we were turned back because of trees on the road, then tried a shortcut to the La Sal pass road which turned out to be a long cut, then half way up the La Sal pass road we were turned back by a ranger who told me had he found us above the “road closed” sign he’d have ticketed all of us and still turned us back….

It was ok though, we still made it to that nights camp before dark…😊

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I read the comments people have posted about the wives really enjoying the trip. She is totally onboard with the adventure next year. But, she has requested something better than a tent for the adventure. So I guess I will be figuring that out this winter and next summer. A few test runs maybe next summer, then we will be ready for the Peace Trail.
Yes sir, soon I’ll put up a preliminary AZPT thread for conversation and to check interest…

Did you show your wife what others said about how well their wives handled the trek? And I guess you saw what happened to my tear drop as well as the one I’m looking at now???

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Yes sir, soon I’ll put up a preliminary AZPT thread for conversation and to check interest…

Did you show your wife what others said about how well their wives handled the trek? And I guess you saw what happened to my tear drop as well as the one I’m looking at now???
I haven't shown her the tear drop issues yet. I showed her the rig you had and she said can we do something like that instead of the tent I have? So now I will be looking at options: small trailer with a roof top tent, small teardrop I buy, some sort of trailer I make... (not out of wood). Aluminum and either skinned with aluminum or with some sort of fiberglass sandwhich material.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
If any of you that went on the trip could help the poor souls that couldn't attend, that would be great.
  1. Any lessons learned for supplies?
    1. so far I have seen fuel considerations as a consideration
    2. Was water an issue for anyone?
    3. Facilities were likely not had until Moab, correct?
  2. Any lessons learned about equipment?
    1. anything you guys wish you had, but didn't?
    2. Anything a true life saver? Looks like the winches came in handy...
  3. Camp considerations? Set up or teardown?
The last item is about the Honda's themselves. I saw that the P500s didn't go some of the places the bigger guys did. Is this truly an issue? If you look at HP to weight, the P500/P520 has almost the same ratio as the larger machines. Now I will concede that a 1000 will haul a lot more in comparison to a p500. Kind of like a big guys carrying a 50 pound pack vs a smaller guy carrying the same weight.

If anyone has the time to write up a full synopsis of the trip from their perspective, I would love to hear it to see if there are tips I can glean from the experience

Thanks!

Rob.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
If any of you that went on the trip could help the poor souls that couldn't attend, that would be great.
  1. Any lessons learned for supplies?
    1. so far I have seen fuel considerations as a consideration
    2. Was water an issue for anyone?
    3. Facilities were likely not had until Moab, correct?
  2. Any lessons learned about equipment?
    1. anything you guys wish you had, but didn't?
    2. Anything a true life saver? Looks like the winches came in handy...
  3. Camp considerations? Set up or teardown?
The last item is about the Honda's themselves. I saw that the P500s didn't go some of the places the bigger guys did. Is this truly an issue? If you look at HP to weight, the P500/P520 has almost the same ratio as the larger machines. Now I will concede that a 1000 will haul a lot more in comparison to a p500. Kind of like a big guys carrying a 50 pound pack vs a smaller guy carrying the same weight.

If anyone has the time to write up a full synopsis of the trip from their perspective, I would love to hear it to see if there are tips I can glean from the experience

Thanks!

Rob.
I can’t emphasize enough the importance of coordinating with others in the thread as we go along before the actual ride date. It can be hard to get participation in that as I found out and therefore there was a lot of unnecessary redundancy’s and needless weight carried that was never even used. Just a couple examples. Everyone does not need to be carrying a shovel, a spare tire and a jack, weight is a truly important factor.

advertisement