Talon Talon R dying

B

BrandonLH

Jun 1, 2019
Hannibal MO
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Our Talon has randomly died 10-12 times. Started happening around 700 miles, went on for a few weeks, I adjusted throttle cable as it had excessive slack and thought that took care of it as it didn't happen anymore for another 800 miles. Now it has started happening again at 1600 miles. Will be driving along at any speed and engine will just die, we will coast to a stop and it will restart and run perfect for the rest of the day. The I4wd light and the clutch light will come on as soon as engine cuts out but they go out as soon as engine is restarted. But those lights are on normally when key is turned to run position just before starting, so I don't think they are an indication of a problem. Fuel is fine, checked all wiring I can, the only thing Ive done is replaced the air filter and normal oil changes. I posted same info on a Facebook group and one person messaged me saying he has the same issue and dealer told him its just a glitch. Just reaching out to see if anyone here is familiar with this. Thanks

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any codes being thrown when it dies?
Engine light flashing?

B

BrandonLH

Jun 1, 2019
Hannibal MO
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Any codes being thrown when it dies?
Engine light flashing?
NO. No codes of any kind and the engine light isn't flashing. The engine oil pressure light does come on after it comes to a complete stop. but I think that is normal also because key switch is on and engine is not running. Everything is normal after restarting engine.

B

BrandonLH

Jun 1, 2019
Hannibal MO
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
NO. No codes of any kind and the engine light isn't flashing. The engine oil pressure light does come on after it comes to a complete stop. but I think that is normal also because key switch is on and engine is not running. Everything is normal after restarting engine.
Sorry I messed up on my initial post. I stated it was the I4wd light and clutch light. After looking at the dash some more, it is the I4wd and hill start assist lights that are coming on as soon as engine dies. Still not sure that this is an indicator to the problem, but I wanted to state the correct info. Thanks

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had an atv that did that. Turned out my key chain was too heavy and turn the key just enough to screw with it but never notice it was off a hair. Probably not your problem but worth noting.

B

BrandonLH

Jun 1, 2019
Hannibal MO
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I had an atv that did that. Turned out my key chain was too heavy and turn the key just enough to screw with it but never notice it was off a hair. Probably not your problem but worth noting.
Its not because of key chain but could be faulty ignition switch not sure how I could prove it. Battery cables are tight and not sure which electronic component would be the one to focus on for killing power to engine.

Reactions: Plumber32
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3

3. Talon X
Sucks you have to deal with this on a new machine but some dealers don't seem interested after the sale. If it were mine I would look at all the grounds, double check the connectors to the electronics under the seat & at the dash in front of the steering column.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Well shyt ! But on the bright side , it starts rite back up .

advertisement
70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
Its not because of key chain but could be faulty ignition switch not sure how I could prove it. Battery cables are tight and not sure which electronic component would be the one to focus on for killing power to engine.
You could plug a light into the cigarette lighter outlet, if the light goes out at the same time it dies, it might be the ignition switch. Problem is, everything is controlled by the ECM, even the cig lighter, but at least you would know it's more than just power to the ignition.

Reactions: Ddoggy
B

BrandonLH

Jun 1, 2019
Hannibal MO
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Try checking ECM connectors , fuel pump connector, fuses, relays.

May be losing fuel or spark.
Yesterday started the Talon and while idling tried wiggling all wires I could get ahold of. On battery, on engine, coils, fuel injectors, took fuse cover off and wiggled relays and all fuses. Removed drivers seat and wiggled connectors on control modules. Was also able to turn off key switch and back to run position very quick and the engine wouldnt die and no trouble lights came on. Key switch needs to be off for just a second to kill power, but feel this proves its not the ignition switch causing the problem. Went for a 45 mile ride and machine ran great and didnt die. Realize I should load it up and take to dealer to see if it can be hooked up somehow and check for a code but just dont want to leave it there.

J

JimmyTalon

Apr 13, 2019
SE Minnesota
Ownership

1. Talon R
If it were mine, I'd start with doing all the basics at once, then riding it again. If it still died, off to dealer.
The basics:
Battery cables , pull the battery ends, shine everything, reassemble, terminal grease. Also the cable other ends, where the black attaches to frame, where the flexible part connects frame to engine, etc. Clean off paint, add a star washer, reassemble. Also the solenoid, all connections .
Connections under drivers seat:
Pull seat, remove rubber sheet, unplug and (while apart apply silicone dielectric grease to all contacts) and reseat thoroughly . There are two computers there to do, and under one of them is the voltage regulator. Do all three. While you're in there, notice that ground point where there are many connections, take it apart, clean everything even the paint removed, add several of those electrical star washers, put it together tight .

Report back here when done.

Last edited:
Reactions: CumminsPusher
D

Dmillerforhonda

Jul 20, 2016
Lott,Tx
Ownership

1. 1000-5
On my 16 , P1K l had oil and power steering lights come on . The transmission wouldn't work right. It would loose battery ground to frame but I couldn't find where it connected to the frame so I ran a new ground and solved it

B

BrandonLH

Jun 1, 2019
Hannibal MO
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
On my 16 , P1K l had oil and power steering lights come on . The transmission wouldn't work right. It would loose battery ground to frame but I couldn't find where it connected to the frame so I ran a new ground and solved it
Since the weather had turned colder decided to take it to dealer to see if they could come up with anything. Was told they hooked it up and there were no codes stored. They took it for a ride and it didn't die on them which is not a surprise as it didn't happen very often. I will go over all the ground wire mounts, remove, sand, and reinstall, to see if I can find anything.

Reactions: TripleB
TexasHeat

TexasHeat

Jan 28, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well shyt ! But on the bright side , it starts rite back up .
i just went through a similar issue with my 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 LE. i brought to the honda dealership and the first thing they tried to tell me was it is the aftermarket eqipment i had installed. i assured them that absolutley none of the lights, winch etc were tied into the OEM wiring and everything was completely isolated. they didnt listen and disconnected all of it. they told me they could not reset the DCT?
After 2 days on the phone with the factory troubleshooting they found a factory ground on the frame that had corroded. they replaced the grounding lug and right away they were able to reset. i must say i was happy they covered under warranty!! although i had purchased in february 2018 and i thought i had run out my 1 year factory warranty.

Reactions: Plumber32
B

BrandonLH

Jun 1, 2019
Hannibal MO
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
i just went through a similar issue with my 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 LE. i brought to the honda dealership and the first thing they tried to tell me was it is the aftermarket eqipment i had installed. i assured them that absolutley none of the lights, winch etc were tied into the OEM wiring and everything was completely isolated. they didnt listen and disconnected all of it. they told me they could not reset the DCT?
After 2 days on the phone with the factory troubleshooting they found a factory ground on the frame that had corroded. they replaced the grounding lug and right away they were able to reset. i must say i was happy they covered under warranty!! although i had purchased in february 2018 and i thought i had run out my 1 year factory warranty.
I got around to checking all the ground mounting points and the one under the drivers seat did look a little suspect. Had some surface rust on it. I sanded them all down to shiny metal and polished wire ends as well. Rechecked battery connections cleaned and reinstalled, and the ground connections on engine, and the engine to frame ground wires were removed, cleaned and reinstalled. Guess time will tell if any of it helped. Have put 150 miles on it since, but had gone that long between problems before.

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I haven’t had an issue with my talon receiving it in June, 900 miles later, finally found the time to install some electrical accessories and found the ground connection under the drivers seat very rusty for being 5 months old and for only driving it once or twice when it’s wet out, being summer is the dry season.

B

Bigblue1

Feb 3, 2019
NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Our Talon has randomly died 10-12 times. Started happening around 700 miles, went on for a few weeks, I adjusted throttle cable as it had excessive slack and thought that took care of it as it didn't happen anymore for another 800 miles. Now it has started happening again at 1600 miles. Will be driving along at any speed and engine will just die, we will coast to a stop and it will restart and run perfect for the rest of the day. The I4wd light and the clutch light will come on as soon as engine cuts out but they go out as soon as engine is restarted. But those lights are on normally when key is turned to run position just before starting, so I don't think they are an indication of a problem. Fuel is fine, checked all wiring I can, the only thing Ive done is replaced the air filter and normal oil changes. I posted same info on a Facebook group and one person messaged me saying he has the same issue and dealer told him its just a glitch. Just reaching out to see if anyone here is familiar with this. Thanks
Mine is doing the same thing, first time was at around 150 miles and wrote it off as a glitch but this past weekend it done it again at around 800 miles and again the next day about 50 miles later. I hate to take it to a dealer since they will probably not see it happening and it would just sit there. I done all of the check and clean connections last night and the only suspect connection was the ground under the seat but I really feel that it is not the problem. I will be following this post, maybe someone will come up with a solution.

B

BrandonLH

Jun 1, 2019
Hannibal MO
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Mine is doing the same thing, first time was at around 150 miles and wrote it off as a glitch but this past weekend it done it again at around 800 miles and again the next day about 50 miles later. I hate to take it to a dealer since they will probably not see it happening and it would just sit there. I done all of the check and clean connections last night and the only suspect connection was the ground under the seat but I really feel that it is not the problem. I will be following this post, maybe someone will come up with a solution.
Giving an update since this post was brought up again. We are now at 2200 miles and the Talon hasnt died since working on the ground wires a few months ago. Hoping this was the fix, but who knows, may die the next time we take it out. Side note, we also had the u-joint cap on the drive shaft come off and Honda replaced the drive shaft under warranty. While at the dealer for the drive shaft, they replaced the driver side front axle seal as it was starting to leak some oil. Kinda disappointed that we've had the issues, but have had a lot of fun with machine, and it hasn't stranded us anywhere. Hoping these issues are first year problems and get taken care of on later years.

advertisement