P1000 Swamped P1000 5 (Asking for a friend)

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Haven't tried to turn the motor by hand yet. Think he's gonna try that tomorrow. My cousin is a Honda fanboy and he's also got a 1000. He's gonna try helping him tomorrow, but he's like for sure I'm snorkeling mine. We do a lot of river riding here in ND. Sad part is we weren't this day. Just hit a big hole.
Like everyone is saying here. It is probably hydro locked. I was unfortunately in that situation as well and sounds exactly like my story. If around any water snorkel it!!! I hate to say this but it's a 12k deal if it is. Tell him talk to his insurance company it probably is covered if insured. To check for water just look at the filter if it's wet and won't turn over you maybe screwed. I'm very very sorry if this is the case it's a horrible thing and we all feel for him seriously! Tell him that we are here if he needs anything we could help with. LOTS of good and knowledgeable people here.

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Like everyone is saying here. It is probably hydro locked. I was unfortunately in that situation as well and sounds exactly like my story. If around any water snorkel it!!! I hate to say this but it's a 12k deal if it is. Tell him talk to his insurance company it probably is covered if insured. To check for water just look at the filter if it's wet and won't turn over you maybe screwed. I'm very very sorry if this is the case it's a horrible thing and we all feel for him seriously! Tell him that we are here if he needs anything we could help with. LOTS of good and knowledgeable people here.

That's why I came to this fourm. The knowledge everyone has and different experiences people know and have GREAT advice. I thought of you right away @CumminsPusher. When I read your story I felt so bad. I just have the 500, but I come and look and read posts every day on the 1000, 700, & 500 posts just so I can become more knowledgeable about the machines and hope to help someone else someday.

I don't know how to do half the stuff some of you guys do, but I like to think I'm fairly knowledgeable about how to get out of some sticky situations. I've been riding since I was 10-18 and now just recently just got back into it at 28(now 30) due to the fact that I moved back to a smaller town and realized what I was missing .

Like I said earlier I appreciate everyone's input on this and if we haven't tried it we definitely will. My cousin is a very true DIE HARD HONDA FAN and will hopefully get around to helping here soon. He's had a 2x4 rancher shift on the floor for many years that's literally been though the wringer and that thing is still going to this day. Was my friends birthday today so hopefully we can get him some good news and get it going again.

Btw does that link work I posted earlier?

Last edited:
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
He didn't hit it hard at all. Was going slow. This hole we went though had little valleys in it so the front end would go down which the hood would go under then come back up and you'd repeat then be out.

I wish that I could get the video off my Facebook and share it here so you guys could see. My friend took the video uploaded it on her Facebook but deleted it off her phone. Not sure how to get it off Facebook
share a facebook link... most of us will be able to see it if the privacy settings allow
That's why I came to this fourm. The knowledge everyone has and different experiences people know and have GREAT advice. I thought of you right away @CumminsPusher. When I read your story I felt so bad. I just have the 500, but I come and look and read posts every day on the 1000, 700, & 500 posts just so I can become more knowledgeable about the machines and hope to help someone else someday.

I don't know how to do half the stuff some of you guys do, but I like to think I'm fairly knowledgeable about how to get out of some sticky situations. I've been riding since I was 10-18 and now just recently just got back into it at 28(now 30) due to the fact that I moved back to a smaller town and realized what I was missing .

Like I said earlier I appreciate everyone's input on this and if we haven't tried it we definitely will. My cousin is a very true DIE HARD HONDA FAN and will hopefully get around to helping here soon. He's had a 2x4 rancher shift on the floor for many years that's literally been though the wringer and that thing is still going to this day. Was my friends birthday today so hopefully we can get him some good news and get it going again.

Btw does that link work I posted earlier?
The link does not work. It takes me to my home page on facebook. I just pulled you up on facebook and can't see the vid that way either. Only way folks could see it would be if they are your friend on facebook, or the privacy settings for that post get changed to "public".

Revtech100

Revtech100

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2016
Anchorage, AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I picked my P1k5 up last week. I vented it and insulated the seat. I had planned to go out today but my snorkel didn't arrive so I'm waiting. After reading this post I'm glad.

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
share a facebook link... most of us will be able to see it if the privacy settings allow

The link does not work. It takes me to my home page on facebook. I just pulled you up on facebook and can't see the vid that way either. Only way folks could see it would be if they are your friend on facebook, or the privacy settings for that post get changed to "public".

Well crap! My settings are set to public. So I'm not sure what's going on there. When you want something to work it won't. o_O

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I picked my P1k5 up last week. I vented it and insulated the seat. I had planned to go out today but my snorkel didn't arrive so I'm waiting. After reading this post I'm glad.

Yeah man don't do it if you plan on going through some deep water. Definitely not worth the headache.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well crap! My settings are set to public. So I'm not sure what's going on there. When you want something to work it won't. o_O
if it is something that your friend shared on your page, then he or she will have to change the settings for that post.

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
if it is something that your friend shared on your page, then he or she will have to change the settings for that post.
Ohhhhh ok!!! Never even thought about that. THANKS! I'm sure that's what it is. I don't have a computer so trying to do this from the phone is a pain. If I ever get it tho I'll post of for you guys.

Reactions: PioneerPete
Revtech100

Revtech100

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2016
Anchorage, AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah man don't do it if you plan on going through some deep water. Definitely not worth the headache.
Oh yeah. I had decided that before. I have always snorkled and vented. The temptation was there to go but I didn't let temptation get the best of me. What's bad, I told the dealer I was going to do these things before I took it out any his response was you trying to make it a submarine? What a smart a@@.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Do you know if he has insurance on the p1k?

Sent from iPhone

advertisement
CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
you could put it in high gear 2wd and just raise the back and rotate the wheels. Wait, I guess that works? is the clutch engaged when the motor is not running and the ignition is off? Yeah, I'm pretty sure that works. I guess I'd pull the spark plugs before i did that too?

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
you could put it in high gear 2wd and just raise the back and rotate the wheels. Wait, I guess that works? is the clutch engaged when the motor is not running and the ignition is off? Yeah, I'm pretty sure that works. I guess I'd pull the spark plugs before i did that too?
I'm pretty sure oil pressure is required to engage clutch. Not 100% though.

Reactions: sharp
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't know anything about the 1000, but my 700 has a plug that you can remove to rotate the engine to TDC when you are adjusting valves and such. I would assume this would have something similar but I could be wrong.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lift seat and look at front of drivers side on engine/trans. There is a plug it looks like, maybe 1 1/4" or so dead center of the round aluminum casing that may be what you are looking for. Looks similar to the diff check hole plugs, but larger.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Awesome! It was a water hazard on the dirt road that couldn't be avoided I assume...if that's about what happened its weather related.

Sent from iPhone

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Lift seat and look at front of drivers side on engine/trans. There is a plug it looks like, maybe 1 1/4" or so dead center of the round aluminum casing that may be what you are looking for. Looks similar to the diff check hole plugs, but larger.
Working on it now and took that off tried to turn that bolt underneath that cap and won't budge. Suggestions from here?

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Working on it now and took that off tried to turn that bolt underneath that cap and won't budge. Suggestions from here?
I'd verify 100% before turning it. Like I said, it may be what you are looking for, but I'm not 100% on it.

Reactions: Little_g
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5