P1000 Swamped P1000 5 (Asking for a friend)

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hey guys. My friend swamped his 1000 last weekend and now it won't start. He's done all the fluid changes new gas etc..... when he goes to start it all it does is click. There is a little black solenoid under the hood right by the battery and all it does is click. The machine won't turn over or anything. Looking to see if anyone has thoughts or answers. Our closest shop is an hour and a half away and is not wanting to take it in if he doesn't have to.

I swamped my P500 earlier this spring and after we got all the water out pulled the plug etc and stuff on the trail mine fired right up.

Lots of great people with experience on this form so hopefully someone will have an idea.

THANKS GUYS

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys. My friend swamped his 1000 last weekend and now it won't start. He's done all the fluid changes new gas etc..... when he goes to start it all it does is click. There is a little black solenoid under the hood right by the battery and all it does is click. The machine won't turn over or anything. Looking to see if anyone has thoughts or answers. Our closest shop is an hour and a half away and is not wanting to take it in if he doesn't have to.

I swamped my P500 earlier this spring and after we got all the water out pulled the plug etc and stuff on the trail mine fired right up.

Lots of great people with experience on this form so hopefully someone will have an idea.

THANKS GUYS
Has the crank never turned over since he swamped it? Trying to rule out a seized piston, etc.

Reactions: joeymt33
Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Nope. Died right in the middle of the water hole and had to be pulled out. Ever since all it has done is click.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nope. Died right in the middle of the water hole and had to be pulled out. Ever since all it has done is click.
You could jump the solenoid to rule it out, but it may be seized up.

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You could jump the solenoid to rule it out, but it may be seized up.

I forgot to mention they did try that. o_O When they did that then it sounded like there was some clicking in the starter but still not turning over.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I forgot to mention they did try that. o_O When they did that then it sounded like there was some clicking in the starter but still not turning over.
He probably hydrolocked the engine. Hate it for him. Was it snorkeled? Just curious as this has been discussed on here a good bit.

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
He probably hydrolocked the engine. Hate it for him. Was it snorkeled? Just curious as this has been discussed on here a good bit.
No it wasn't. I come on here quite a bit reading the forms and the few people on here taking in water. I did it once with my 500 and then I snorkeled it. I was lucky enough that we got it going and a couple oil changes later it's all good.

Sounds like for him it may be an expensive lesson. I'll try and get the video of what we were going through. Just so you guys can get a visual for how deep it was. Haha.

Reactions: joeymt33

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No it wasn't. I come on here quite a bit reading the forms and the few people on here taking in water. I did it once with my 500 and then I snorkeled it. I was lucky enough that we got it going and a couple oil changes later it's all good.

Sounds like for him it may be an expensive lesson. I'll try and get the video of what we were going through. Just so you guys can get a visual for how deep it was. Haha.
Ya, a downside to having your engine and trans sharing same oil as well.

Reactions: Little_g
M

Madore128

Mar 28, 2016
Ma
Pull the plugs an see if the engine turns over

advertisement
moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That was my suggestion. Can you try turning it over by hand. Not sure where the crank bolt may be, but I'd bet if it's locked solid like that there's some broken stuff inside the case. Sorry to hear man. Keep us posted.

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That was my suggestion. Can you try turning it over by hand. Not sure where the crank bolt may be, but I'd bet if it's locked solid like that there's some broken stuff inside the case. Sorry to hear man. Keep us posted.
That's what I was thinking also, but not sure where that would be or if it's even possible. Anyone know??? Ill keep you guys updated if anything new comes up. I'm really hoping that he can get it going.

Thanks Everyone for your help. If anyone else has any input please keep the comments coming. Anything will help.

M

Madore128

Mar 28, 2016
Ma
Yea dude. Tell ur buddy to save his $15,000 with a 200$ snorkel. Or don't touch water. Not worth it. I have a snorkel an still dont like deep water. There sxs not jet skis. MUDs one thing. But water that is over ur seat? Or even over ur doors? Y even risk it? I only go deep it' the trail goes that way. Best of luck guys. Hopefully he has insurrance. If not get insurrance an wait a month an put in a clam. Cuz ur motor is prob junk

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Most ATVs and sxs can be turned by hand at the stator. Not sure on the Pioneer though. I'd bet money it is. Can you get ahold of a manual? How hard was he running it when it got swamped? Even a tiny amount of water can do a crap load of damage (shattered pistons, bent rods, etc...).

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Most ATVs and sxs can be turned by hand at the stator. Not sure on the Pioneer though. I'd bet money it is. Can you get ahold of a manual? How hard was he running it when it got swamped? Even a tiny amount of water can do a crap load of damage (shattered pistons, bent rods, etc...).

He didn't hit it hard at all. Was going slow. This hole we went though had little valleys in it so the front end would go down which the hood would go under then come back up and you'd repeat then be out.

I wish that I could get the video off my Facebook and share it here so you guys could see. My friend took the video uploaded it on her Facebook but deleted it off her phone. Not sure how to get it off Facebook

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
He didn't hit it hard at all. Was going slow. This hole we went though had little valleys in it so the front end would go down which the hood would go under then come back up and you'd repeat then be out.

I wish that I could get the video off my Facebook and share it here so you guys could see. My friend took the video uploaded it on her Facebook but deleted it off her phone. Not sure how to get it off Facebook
share a facebook link... most of us will be able to see it if the privacy settings allow

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

If the hood went under, that's bad news. Let's hope that it didn't break something.

Did you say you have tried to turn the motor by hand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If the hood went under, that's bad news. Let's hope that it didn't break something.

Did you say you have tried to turn the motor by hand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't tried to turn the motor by hand yet. Think he's gonna try that tomorrow. My cousin is a Honda fanboy and he's also got a 1000. He's gonna try helping him tomorrow, but he's like for sure I'm snorkeling mine. We do a lot of river riding here in ND. Sad part is we weren't this day. Just hit a big hole.

advertisement