P1000 South Dakota Vacation Plans

E

Erick

Lifetime Member
Apr 1, 2017
Rochester
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Couple more questions, are the whole 500 miles of trail on state/federal land, or private. If state/federal land, was it patrolled by LEO?
I think a good share of the trails are on state land, however as you go through the trails you see a lot of cattle roaming about. So, it's hard to tell what is state, private or federal. Lots of cattle guard crossings and also gates you have to open and close. Did not see anyone patrolling the trails.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I think a good share of the trails are on state land, however as you go through the trails you see a lot of cattle roaming about. So, it's hard to tell what is state, private or federal. Lots of cattle guard crossings and also gates you have to open and close. Did not see anyone patrolling the trails.
Thanks Erick, all information you’ve provided is much appreciated.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
Couple more questions, are the whole 500 miles of trail on state/federal land, or private. If state/federal land, was it patrolled by LEO?

It depends.

Some of it is State (Custer State Park), most of it is Fed (Black Hills Nat. Forest).

I have never seen LEO on the trails but it could happen. Most trails are marked. If you aren’t on a marked logging road or trail there is a good chance you are on private land.

IMO the Polaris ride command app is pretty strong in the Black hills.

You can also trailer east from the hills and ride all day in the badlands on the Buffalo National Grasslands near farmingdale.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
It depends.

Some of it is State (Custer State Park), most of it is Fed (Black Hills Nat. Forest).

I have never seen LEO on the trails but it could happen. Most trails are marked. If you aren’t on a marked logging road or trail there is a good chance you are on private land.

IMO the Polaris ride command app is pretty strong in the Black hills.

You can also trailer east from the hills and ride all day in the badlands on the Buffalo National Grasslands near farmingdale.
Awesome, thanks for the info, love the Badlands as well!!!

Rick49274

Rick49274

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2021
Reading MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
We are planning a South Dakota(Black Hills) vacation for the end of September 2018. I am looking for advice for things to take along for possible emergency repairs? I plan on taking tire repair kits, gas can. tree saver straps, portable air compressor, small jack, but do you recommend anything else other than some tools? I have a 2016 P1000-5 and don't anticipate any problems but one never knows. We are staying at Mystic Hills Hideaway resort and would also welcome any suggestions for trails to take or sights to see..... Thanks
Silly question but what type of jack do you use, details appreciated.

Reactions: Smitty335