P1000 Skid plate really needed?

B

bigbass

May 6, 2018
Clinton NC
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
In all my years of riding and at least 30 different off road machines I have never had a need or experianced personally any mishap to the point that a skid plate other than the factory was a necessity. We ride very hard and certainly dont think for me they are worth the money. Just wondering everyone else thoughts.

Reactions: BWAF
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In all my years of riding and at least 30 different off road machines I have never had a need or experianced personally any mishap to the point that a skid plate other than the factory was a necessity. We ride very hard and certainly dont think for me they are worth the money. Just wondering everyone else thoughts.
16,000 dollar machine take care of it for 750 bucks .That's my thoughts . I bought trail armor glad I did don't half to worry about it

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

D

DDDonkey

I thought the same with my last machine, until I put a hole in the oil pan on the trail. The rock went through the factory skid plate and into the oil pan. I think they are worth it, but it is your machine and you know where and how you ride. Good luck and have a fun on the trails!

hardlyworkin

hardlyworkin

Aug 5, 2016
Beckley, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They are absolutely necessary on these things!
I thought I would be fine without one but the 2nd time I had it out my driver's side front tire kicked a rock up and put a massive crack in the floor right under my feet. Scared the crap out of me! Ordered skid plates that night I believe.

Reactions: BWAF and JTW
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I used to think the same thing until I saw how thin the rub rails are. They got beat up and bent. Trail armor offers a 10% discount to anyone from this forum. Get the 1/2" uhmw full skid from them.

On my last machine I got a full sheet of uhmw and made my own. It worked great but it was about $700 by the time i bought the sheet and all the hardware. You will avoid the risk and save time and money by getting the trail armor.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have broken two pieces of half-inch trail armor. Just think how bad the damage would’ve been if I had the stock skid plate was on there. I’ve had to straighten cross members even with the 1/2” skids protesting them.

Plus it keeps limbs and sticks from punching holes in the floor.

@ohanacreek has ripped his out and @CumminsPusher has also tore out a few pieces.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have broken two pieces of half-inch trail armor. Just think how bad the damage would’ve been if I had the stock skid plate was on there. I’ve had to straighten cross members even with the 1/2” skids protesting them.

Plus it keeps limbs and sticks from punching holes in the floor.

@ohanacreek has ripped his out and @CumminsPusher has also tore out a few pieces.

Crossmembers got bowed up enough skid was able to come out from under cup washers.

Reactions: BWAF
advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Skid Plates are much like Guns.
Just better to have and not need, rather than reaching the point of needing and not having.
It’s kinda like a jock strap. You can probably get by without if not playing rough but the wrong move will cost you your nuts and make your starfish pucker.
Protect your goods

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It’s kinda like a jock strap. You can probably get by without if not playing rough but the wrong move will cost you your nuts and make your starfish pucker.
Protect your goods
Star Fish, what do you ever keep in your paints? Seems like that would be uncomfortable!:)

advertisement