P1000m5 Royal Blue to windrock and BACK! 2016

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The GPS tracks on the below link cover everything from KY state line down to I-40 (Windrock), includes all gravel roads needed to connect the trails etc.

Trail areas included are: Royal Blue WMA, Sundquist WMA, New River WMA, Brimstone, and Windrock / Coal Creek. More than 1,000 miles of OHV trails and roads. All trails are color coded by trail difficulty (Can also be seen in the Readme.txt file after downloading).

North Cumberland OHV / ATV Trails v2.3, TN Garmin Compatible Map - GPSFileDepot
what gps do you recommend? I haven't bought one yet, but it may be time...

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
what gps do you recommend? I haven't bought one yet, but it may be time...
If money isn't tight and you want rugged / waterproof I use the Garmin Montana 650T comes pre-loaded with worldwide topographic maps and trails just overlay on them. There is a newer one called Montana 680T, not sure what all more it offers extra. Been using my 650T for 5 years in dust and mud no problems. Recommend the Garmin AMPS mount uses a Ram ball and plate. See my build thread for close up of GPS mounted to dash.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If money isn't tight and you want rugged / waterproof I use the Garmin 650T comes pre-loaded with worldwide topographic maps and trails just overlay on them. There is a newer one called 680T, not sure what all more it offers extra. Been using my 650T for 5 years in dust and mud no problems. Recommend the Garmin AMPS mount uses a Ram ball and plate. See my build thread for close up of GPS mounted to dash.
Thanks for the info. I've been trying to view the North Cumberland maps using Garmin Base Camp app on my pc, but for some reason I can't get the North Cumberland download to show up on the base camp app... any suggestions on how to view the download that you shared?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
I've got my computer and everything packed in a moving trailer. I believe you click on the maps drop down and select from what you have installed on your computer. I am assuming you download the file from GPS depot and then ran the executable file to install them on the PC.

If you have done that should be a simple matter of ticking the correct boxes of the trails on the Basecamp toolbar going down left side of screen.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've got my computer and everything packed in a moving trailer. I believe you click on the maps drop down and select from what you have installed on your computer. I am assuming you download the file from GPS depot and then ran the executable file to install them on the PC.

If you have done that should be a simple matter of ticking the correct boxes of the trails on the Basecamp toolbar going down left side of screen.
yeah, that's what I thought. for some reason the downloaded/installed North Cumberland maps don't show up in the Basecamp map dropdown. The only map in the dropdown is the "global" map. oh, well.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Reactions: PioneerPete
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Garmin Montana 680T is on sale at Cabelas $150 off for $449, that is $150 less than I paid for my 650T 5 years ago. This is a very good price on this particular model, uses the same rugged AMPS mount as the rest of the 600 series.

Garmin® Montana 680T : Cabela's

AMPS Mount: Amazon.com: Amps Rugged Mount with aud.-power: Cell Phones & Accessories
I'm hesitant to buy another device when my phone is such a potent navigational tool and is water proof, shock proof, and dust resistant... the only advantage I see to buying the Garmin device is the availability of existing user generated trail routes. I wish Garmin would make an app that works on my Android platform and allows me to use existing routes like the one you shared...

Reactions: joeymt33
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
I'm hesitant to buy another device when my phone is such a potent navigational tool and is water proof, shock proof, and dust resistant... the only advantage I see to buying the Garmin device is the availability of existing user generated trail routes. I wish Garmin would make an app that works on my Android platform and allows me to use existing routes like the one you shared...

The files once extracted (installed on PC) can be copied and pasted into an Android app called ORUXMAPS. search for the thread by that name started by @Hondasxs all the instructions for doing it is in my post #8 I think. I'm tied up painting house or I would link it for you.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The files once extracted (installed on PC) can be copied and pasted into an Android app called ORUXMAPS. search for the thread by that name started by @Hondasxs all the instructions for doing it is in my post #8 I think. I'm tied up painting house or I would link it for you.
Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try when I get home from work this evening.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
What do you guys think about thinning out what we carry? What I mean is, I just don't think we all need to carry 12v compressors, first aid kits, spare tires, etc.

BigRack already said he has first aid covered.

How many spare tires? I can easily carry one on my tire carrier, should we bring 2 or 3 total?

Jackal has the GPS covered and probably the HiLift jack

I can also bring a 12volt compressor and HondaSXS will probably bring his CO2 kit. Does anyone really need to bring any other inflators?

Do we really need to have 7-8 tie ropes and tree straps? I've got a 50' Amsteel synthetic rope that will be light and easy to carry.

Anyway, y'all get the idea. Should we hash it all out now or do it just before we hit the trail?

I just want to make sure that we all got plenty of room for fuel, coolers, bed roll, etc and not be too weighted down.

Sent from my iPad 7G

advertisement
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
What do you guys think about thinning out what we carry? What I mean is, I just don't think we all need to carry 12v compressors, first aid kits, spare tires, etc.

BigRack already said he has first aid covered.

How many spare tires? I can easily carry one on my tire carrier, should we bring 2 or 3 total?

Jackal has the GPS covered and probably the HiLift jack

I can also bring a 12volt compressor and HondaSXS will probably bring his CO2 kit. Does anyone really need to bring any other inflators?

Do we really need to have 7-8 tie ropes and tree straps? I've got a 50' Amsteel synthetic rope that will be light and easy to carry.

Anyway, y'all get the idea. Should we hash it all out now or do it just before we hit the trail?

I just want to make sure that we all got plenty of room for fuel, coolers, bed roll, etc and not be too weighted down.

Sent from my iPad 7G

I would recommend each person carry a spare tire & wheel that matches their setup due to many of us running different sizes. Personally, I am a pack rat, bringing anything I might need but don't overdo it as far as weight goes. I do have a spare tie rod for a P1K, but no ball joints which I will likely have before we go. As for me, I won't be taking anything out of my possibles box LOL.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It's not a bad thing for you to carry everything you might need to be prepared for anything.

I still may lighten my load once we get to royal blue and I see what everybody else has. But I definitely want to make sure that we've got everything we need to overcome any trouble. I don't want to be the reason that we're not prepared for something.

Sent from my iPad 7G

Reactions: BIGRACK and JACKAL
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
What about decals? BigRack mentioned that we need to name our trip Epic Adventure "blank"? Maybe we can come up with a cool decal or even use something similar to the spring ride.

I'm thinking "cake walk 2016"

Sent from my iPad 7G

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
We've got 6 vehicles and I think there's room for more. I wouldn't mind having 8 sign up so at least we have good size group. If we stick with 6, we may end up with a small group. You never know what may happen, family emergency, super important work thing, etc. I've got a friend that I haven't invited yet that may be interested.

Sent from my iPad 7G

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Who's going to film this event? This needs to be well documented.

Sent from my iPad 7G

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Who's going to film this event? This needs to be well documented.

Sent from my iPad 7G
I've got my GoPro worked great during the forum ride:

Drive faster I hear Banjo Music!!!!

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
@Hometeam, are you going to be able to make it with a new pioneer? If not, you can ride with me or help split duties of driving. I know @Hondasxs said he's riding also. Maybe some with me and maybe some with other people. We can work it out.

Reactions: Hometeam
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I also want to spin this back up and check on everyone. I've got these days down on the work calendar so I should be good to go.

Are we still going?

Should I make t-shirts? Someone give me a file and I'll carry it to the local printer. I like the idea of decals better. @Hondasxs, what do you think?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
I also want to spin this back up and check on everyone. I've got these days down on the work calendar so I should be good to go.

Are we still going?

Should I make t-shirts? Someone give me a file and I'll carry it to the local printer. I like the idea of decals better. @Hondasxs, what do you think?

I am still in. Got a lot going on in July getting the basics setup to live in camper while house is being built. Should be able to pre-run and scout some in August to determine what options we have (trail wise) and how long it will take.

advertisement