Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Let me start by saying I (and I think I'm in like minded company here) am totally against the pussification of men in America. That being said I think losing your dog is one time it's ok for a man to cry.
And getting hit in the baby maker...

J

Jshell3

Just read this, so sorry for late reply.
My wife and I are both dog people. (You can see my beagle and yorkie in my videos, riding along)
Today at lunch, we watched a couple buy an English bulldog in the parking lot. While the woman was doing the transaction, the husband held the pup to his chest and tilted his head in so his cheek brushed against his fat new puppy. He was falling in love.

But we've all lost pets. It sucks, I know. It rips your heart out.

Seeing the couple and their new puppy today, the wife and I had this very same conversation.

Ultimately in the words of Alfred, Lord Tennyson, I concluded, "Tis better to have loved and lost, than to nev'r have loved at all."

That's the way I feel about it.
It's a trade. But the good far outweighs the bad!

Sorry for your loss, @JTW

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JTW

My wife and I are both dog people. (You can see mine in videos riding along) Beagle and Yorkie.
Today at lunch, we watched a couple buy an English bulldog in the parking lot. While the woman was doing the transaction, the husband held the pup to his chest and tilted his head in so his cheek brushed against his new fat puppy. He was falling in love.
We've all lost pets. It sucks, I know. It rips your heart out.

Seeing the couple and their new puppy, the wife and I had this very same conversation.

Ultimately in the words of Alfred, Lord Tennyson, I concluded, "Tis better to have loved and lost, than to nev'r have loved at all."

Thanks bro!

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
@JTW Sorry bud, I know the feeling all too well. I had to put my 7yr old Lab down last Thanksgiving. She was the best dog I've ever had. It wasn't my original plan but she was a full time house dog. She was type 1 diabetic and we gave her insulin shots twice a day for over 2yrs. Heck with fighting back the tears, that may have been the first time my wife ever witnessed me cry. I still don't know if I'll ever be able to bring myself to raise another dog. That pain is not something I want to feel again. And this is coming from a guy that only shows emotion during extreme circumstances. Being emotional is definitely not my forte, my wife says I'm cold inside Lol.

J

JTW

@JTW Sorry bud, I know the feeling all too well. I had to put my 7yr old Lab down last Thanksgiving. She was the best dog I've ever had. It wasn't my original plan but she was a full time house dog. She was type 1 diabetic and we gave her insulin shots twice a day for over 2yrs. Heck with fighting back the tears, that may have been the first time my wife ever witnessed me cry. I still don't know if I'll ever be able to bring myself to raise another dog. That pain is not something I want to feel again. And this is coming from a guy that only shows emotion during extreme circumstances. Being emotional is definitely not my forte, my wife says I'm cold inside Lol.
I can relate.. and like you I'm still undecided on another dog.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My wife and I are both dog people. (You can see my beagle and yorkie in my videos, riding along)
Today at lunch, we watched a couple buy an English bulldog in the parking lot. While the woman was doing the transaction, the husband held the pup to his chest and tilted his head in so his cheek brushed against his fat new puppy. He was falling in love.

But we've all lost pets. It sucks, I know. It rips your heart out.

Seeing the couple and their new puppy today, the wife and I had this very same conversation.

I totally agree!

Reactions: Jshell3 and JTW
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I cried like a baby when I lost my last golden about 8 years ago. I haven't had a dog since, although I've looked a few times.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Very sorry for your loss. My daughter would dress up our goldens just like your's did. I always felt sorry for the dogs, but they didn't seem to mind. They thought they were one of the kids. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
There are a lot of really great pups out there that need a home like yours, there are some really neat pups in the shelters and need a break. We have a dumped Pup and I love him. And two others.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
There are a lot of really great pups out there that need a home like yours, there are some really neat pups in the shelters and need a break. We have a dumped Pup and I love him. And two others.
After Katrina disaster, we picked up a couple of Chocolate Lab pup brothers, Named them Bert & Ernie. Ernie didn't last long and Bert wasn't far behind him, found out later they came from a puppy mill. If you do pick up a pup from a shelter, get the shelter insurance, its cheap. We spent a fortune on Bert & Ernie.

Reactions: LandPioneer
advertisement
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
I totally agree there are some great dogs that need a home. My wife actually brought her shelter puppy into our marriage. Her Min Pin is a good little dog. Maybe someday I can get over the loss of my Lab. However, it won't be anytime soon. I'd have to somehow forget the feeling that day when I had to put my dog to rest.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I totally agree there are some great dogs that need a home. My wife actually brought her shelter puppy into our marriage. Her Min Pin is a good little dog. Maybe someday I can get over the loss of my Lab. However, it won't be anytime soon. I'd have to somehow forget the feeling that day when I had to put my dog to rest.
You are a great pup owner.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
You are a great pup owner.
Thanks man I appreciate that. I got my lab when she was 6 weeks old. She worshiped the ground I walked on and was an amazing friend. It's been a little over a year and I still catch myself expecting her to be at the door when I get home. I subconsciously still step over her when heading to the bathroom at night when it is dark Lol.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thanks man I appreciate that. I got my lab when she was 6 weeks old. She worshiped the ground I walked on and was an amazing friend. It's been a little over a year and I still catch myself expecting her to be at the door when I get home. I subconsciously still step over her when heading to the bathroom at night when it is dark Lol.
Great memories!

Reactions: LandPioneer
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I can relate.. and like you I'm still undecided on another dog.

I didn't want to go through it again, but the wife wanted a companion, so we got a cat. Never thought I'd be a cat guy. She's always trying to call him over like a dog and he just stares at her. Definitely not like having a dog. Kinda cool that we can leave for the weekend and not worry about it though. ;)

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I didn't want to go through it again, but the wife wanted a companion, so we got a cat. Never thought I'd be a cat guy. She's always trying to call him over like a dog and he just stares at her. Definitely not like having a dog. Kinda cool that we can leave for the weekend and not worry about it though. ;)
Take your kitty on a trail ride and see what happens, HA! Just kidding

Reactions: trigger and JTW
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Take your kitty on a trail ride and see what happens, HA! Just kidding
We've got a cat, just can't relate to her, had her for eight years, my wife got her at Lighting Lube, she was a stray wild butt cat, wife brought her home, and left for a business meeting for the week end, I tamed her, but she's a weird cat. I call her b****

Reactions: trigger and Jshell3
QuadMan747

QuadMan747

Nov 7, 2016
Connecticut
www.cccmx.com
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand

We lost our lab just before Thanksgiving, the whole family does this stuff. The worst is he laid right at the front door on a bed. I always look at that spot as if he where there when coming or going and then I remember.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
We lost our lab just before Thanksgiving, the whole family does this stuff. The worst is he laid right at the front door on a bed. I always look at that spot as if he where there when coming or going and then I remember.
Turn around your memories and think about the good times, thats what he would want you to do. I really think there is a special place for animals, hope I can be there care taker. I know, sounds pretty weird.

Reactions: JTW
1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sorry for your loss JTW. I had to put my 11 year old Lab Sadee down just over two years ago and I still miss her badly. I cried like a baby all the way to the vet's office and home when I took her. She was my bud and was with me all the time when I was home. Over the years I've had several Labs and she was by far the smartest, most willing and easiest to train.

I don't think I'll ever have another Lab as I don't have the time or the energy it takes to make a good dog out of them. The main reason though is I just don't think it would ever be the same.

She was a big girl, 88-92 pounds when she was in her prime. Whistle trained and hand signals, she was a retrieving machine.
Sadie

advertisement