Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
@Ridinfool the train and prison are a long days ride, variable by how much pavement you do.
I saw some parties have kids, just thought this should be a discussion topic.
Last time I did this run with @JACKAL we logged somthing like 100 miles that day, and we where only lost half the time,
I think I heard it can be ~70 miles round trip with a little luck.

One possibility is splitting the group at the train.
One group can play a little longer at the train before turning back and taking a more civilized route with appropriate breaks.
Just a thought.

All who wander are not lost 👍

That said and over a dozen groups to the Brushy Mountain Pennetentiary since. There are two primary routes you can go. With an optional 3rd that includes Eternal Flame.

All below from Pilot truck stop at exit 141

The mostly trail route does take you by Caryville flats, through Windrock, by the windmills, then out on trail G7 at the New River Train. Finally TN Hwy 116 from train to BMP. This is 54 miles one way. This is about 6 hours with stops.

The shortest and all winding road way running about 25-30 mph is 42 miles one way. This is about 2 hours with 1 or 2 stops.

The long route via Eternal Flame either to or from can vary from 60 to 70 miles depending upon amount of trails or roads used. It can vary from 4 to 6 hours one way.

When going by trail, the first route, there is an option to cut 2.5 hours off if running short on time, figured this one out in a downpour with ATV riders poking ass along at 7 mph avg.

Typically I have taken the trails route there in good weather, after people get their fill of Warden's table grub or moonshine samples take the road way back this is an 11 hour 110 mile round trip with all stops.

Shortest round trip is 84 miles in about 6 hours including 2 hrs at BMP.

Obviously the bigger the group the slower the avg speed ( almost always).

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

That said and over a dozen groups to the Brushy Mountain Pennetentiary since. There are two primary routes you can go. With an optional 3rd that includes Eternal Flame.

The mostly trail route does take you by Caryville flats, through Windrock, by the windmills, then out on trail G7 at the New River Train. Finally TN Hwy 116 from train to BMP. This is 54 miles one way. This is about 6 hours with stops.

The shortest and all winding road way running about 25-30 mph is 42 miles one way. This is about 2 hours with 1 or 2 stops.

The long route via Eternal Flame either to or from can vary from 60 to 70 miles depending upon amount of trails or roads used. It can vary from 4 to 6 hours one way.

When going by trail, the first route, there is an option to cut 2.5 hours off if running short on time, figured this one out in a downpour with ATV riders poking ass along at 7 mph avg.

Typically I have taken the trails route there in good weather, after people get their fill of Warden's table grub or moonshine samples take the road way back this is an 11 hour 110 mile round trip with all stops.

AW Grasshopper!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Looks great, can't have too much protection. That said you can have too much weight and heat on a kids head.

I've got hundreds of miles with grandkids and I have 4 bicycle helmets with DOT stickers we use. They are light weight, meet the criteria at a glance to any LEO just looking, and let's the little ones get air and low weight on necks of bumpy trails.

P1K is hot enough as it is, if it's not raining lose the windshield if it doesn't flip up or a ride like Friday will turn them off forever.

DrShotgun

DrShotgun

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 20, 2020
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Are there gas stations along the way or do we need to bring gas with us?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Are there gas stations along the way or do we need to bring gas with us?

If you are full when pulling out of Pilot you can get back with 2 bars on the 110 mile loop. Done this several times without filling up.

To answer your question yes there is a station at Careyville that you can get gas 20 miles before getting back to the Pilot. However they are 35 to 40 cents per gallon higher than everyone else.

There is a Ma N Pa old country store / gas station straight out of 1960 still in operation on HWY 116 about 15 miles north of the Prison. Never had to use them but it is an option.

In this terrain, unless you are using low range a good bit ( no need to) or running IGR a stock P1K will go 120ish miles before gauge starts blinking and even then you have 1.9 gal reserve.

Most I ever used was 6 8 gal of 7.9 tank in a 130 mile ride on these trails, that was 2 weeks ago.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

G7 would be kinda tuff for some people unless they have worked it since the 1st week of July. Plenty doable but I know some would be tripping lol.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
G7 would be kinda tuff for some people unless they have worked it since the 1st week of July. Plenty doable but I know some would be tripping lol.

I have no control over the rains and erosion on mountain roads. That said, it's amazing what you get used to.

I've led several would be RZR Turbo S and Can Am X3 would be warriors that the old fat guy driving little old Honda famer SXS has to wait on many times until thier testicles drop and realize I didn't flip or die and neither will they.

I never take people on known dangerous routes, that doesn't mean their inexperience won't put them on thier side.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
I’m ready for a pitcher of margaritas
I'm ready for the Cantina Senioritas 🤩
Images

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
As of today, 8/19 the itinerary is as follows...
Thursday 9/24 meeting at Mexican restaurant/ shell gas station around noonish 1oclock for those that are getting there early and want to get a ride in, and ride to town rock then where ever we end up after that.
Friday 9/25 meeting at the restaurant/shell and riding to the abandoned train and the prison, (the prison has a nice restaurant called the wardens table) then ride back, some folks may want to regroup later and do some night riding.
Saturday 9/26 meet at restaurant/shell and ride the royal blue trails (top of the world, water falls ect.)
I think that is how it is planned out @Backwoods @JenElio does that sound about right?
Or we can make💩 up as we go along.
That sounds good to me. We go with the flow soooo whatever goes is good. Let me clarify (as long as kids r good) we good 😂😂 naaah they should behave good. Including some pit stops and all we tagged along with @TripleB last time for about 9 hrs one day, I thought kids handled it pretty well.
So this time definitely lookin forward to the train/prison ride 😁

advertisement
Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
That sounds good to me. We go with the flow soooo whatever goes is good. Let me clarify (as long as kids r good) we good 😂😂 naaah they should behave good. Including some pit stops and all we tagged along with @TripleB last time for about 9 hrs one day, I thought kids handled it pretty well.
So this time definitely lookin forward to the train/prison ride 😁

They handled it very well, even after a hike and mountain climbing up and down from the waterfall!

ProudDadOf5

ProudDadOf5

It all started with “Hold My Beer”
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2019
Winfield, WV
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
This Covid crap has everything all jacked up. I want to commit to the ride & I want to meet up with y’all but there’s so much going on here during that time period. The kids are supposed to start school September 8 with the first two weeks being hybrid. Corporate has told us that we are due back into the office September 28. It’s gonna come down to the wire for me! Thx @Ridinfool, @Backwoods for putting this together.. 🍻✌🏼🇺🇸😎

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This Covid crap has everything all jacked up. I want to commit to the ride & I want to meet up with y’all but there’s so much going on here during that time period. The kids are supposed to start school September 8 with the first two weeks being hybrid. Corporate has told us that we are due back into the office September 28. It’s gonna come down to the wire for me! Thx @Ridinfool, @Backwoods for putting this together.. 🍻✌🏼🇺🇸😎
It’s all good brother, you gotsta do what you gotsta do... if you can make it, show up if not we will drink a beer for ya.🍻

gparks

gparks

Aug 10, 2020
Asheville NC
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
So Amazon package just arrived along with the Top. will be installing items tonight. For now just storage items getting excited more every day for the trip to RRB. Taking it out Saturday for a test ride at a local place called Wayehutta not very big Ridinfool have you been there since you are located in WNC as well.

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So Amazon package just arrived along with the Top. will be installing items tonight. For now just storage items getting excited more every day for the trip to RRB. Taking it out Saturday for a test ride at a local place called Wayehutta not very big Ridinfool have you been there since you are located in WNC as well.
No, I have not, last time I checked it was closed, but that was in the winter.

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What time are you going, we might crash your party, I’ve got an under seat fan I need to check out.

advertisement