W

wstsidesrf

Jan 4, 2021
torrance
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
HI
Im Brad, I have a 2016 1000-5, about 2 years ago, after 3-4 miles It will shut off, I get a Code 57, 5 long 7 short. the motor will start but will not shift into any gears, after I let sit and cool off for an hour, it will start and run normal for 3 more miles, I have replaced, Clutch, all speed sensors. TP sensor, Control Motor sensor. checked all wires and grounds, 3 trips to the dealer, they can not figure it out. Please let me know if you have any ideas.

thank you

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When you say "checked" grounds, did you actually put a wrench to each one? I've read stories about guys that thought the grounds looked fine, no wiggle, but they were able to tighten them once they put a wrench on them.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another one solved by the shift motor

Hondaking2016

Hondaking2016

Aug 21, 2021
missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm having the same code 57 and shifting problems then Pioneer dies. What I'm reading the most common is the shift motor.
Just made my first payment on my 2016 Pioneer 1000-5 and she's down.
Does anyone have a diagram where the location of the shift motor is ?
Thanks, Jeff

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm having the same code 57 and shifting problems then Pioneer dies. What I'm reading the most common is the shift motor.
Just made my first payment on my 2016 Pioneer 1000-5 and she's down.
Does anyone have a diagram where the location of the shift motor is ?
Thanks, Jeff
Read those threads that P1K5Dave posted. Looks like on the back of the motor on passenger side

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Here is your problem. I've had similair problems with mine in the winter. This is what I had to do to mine and its been working since then. This doesn't cost you anything. Go to the back right side of the motor you'll see the Electric shift motor. It looks like a small starter motor. Un plug the wires , There are 3 , 10 mm bolts to remove. Remove it take it apart and you'll find that the armature is black looking .Clean it up with some fine sandpaper . The brushes are mounted inside the black plastic housing so make sure that there moving freely . Putting it back together isn't that hard if you place the brushes over the armature first . Hold onto the shaft that sticks out and hold onto it pretty good so that you keep the brush holder and brushes from coming off the end. The magnetic force of the motor housing is going to want to pull the armature back into the motor housing. What happens is that the armature gets carboned up and the 5 volts that is used to activate the motor to turn can't overcome the build up of carbon. Try it and see what happens . Let me know if this works for you . It did fix my problem with mine.

Just adding this in for those who aren't sure what the electric shift motor does.

FYI The electric shift motor does the actual changing of the gears so . When the shift motor isn't working properly and your slowing down. and it doesn't downshift The computer get confused and and shuts down the motor . This is to prevent the motor from lugging.

Also shifting manually by using the paddle shifters ,it still needs the shift motor to work.The shift motor does the actual changing of the gears .

Last edited:
advertisement
Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Now if we can just get @wstsidesrf back here to try this and give the forum a report...
Would be nice ehh? he joined in January. First and only post was Friday hitting the panic button 😂 and nothing since all your guys help witch is awesome and great info i might add👍
But he Hasn't been on the whole site since lol.
One reason why we say
Pics Or It Didnt Happen! 😂

Hondaking2016

Hondaking2016

Aug 21, 2021
missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I took a friend to my Pioneer yesterday to show her where the code was because she is having issue's with her Honda SXS to. I turned the key, not over, just on and I heard clicking coming from the location of the shift motor. I decided to go ahead and buy a new one. Waiting for it to be shipped. I will however clean it as suggested and even test it, If it test ok I'll keep it on my shelf for future use by myself or someone else. I will post if the shift motor was my issue once the new one is installed.
Thanks for your input.

W

wstsidesrf

Jan 4, 2021
torrance
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
When you say "checked" grounds, did you actually put a wrench to each one? I've read stories about guys that thought the grounds looked fine, no wiggle, but they were able to tighten them once they put a wrench on them.
yes, I did put a wrench on them

W

wstsidesrf

Jan 4, 2021
torrance
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
Here is your problem. I've had similair problems with mine in the winter. This is what I had to do to mine and its been working since then. This doesn't cost you anything. Go to the back right side of the motor you'll see the Electric shift motor. It looks like a small starter motor. Un plug the wires , There are 3 , 10 mm bolts to remove. Remove it take it apart and you'll find that the armature is black looking .Clean it up with some fine sandpaper . The brushes are mounted inside the black plastic housing so make sure that there moving freely . Putting it back together isn't that hard if you place the brushes over the armature first . Hold onto the shaft that sticks out and hold onto it pretty good so that you keep the brush holder and brushes from coming off the end. The magnetic force of the motor housing is going to want to pull the armature back into the motor housing. What happens is that the armature gets carboned up and the 5 volts that is used to activate the motor to turn can't overcome the build up of carbon. Try it and see what happens . Let me know if this works for you . It did fix my problem with mine.

Just adding this in for those who aren't sure what the electric shift motor does.

FYI The electric shift motor does the actual changing of the gears so . When the shift motor isn't working properly and your slowing down. and it doesn't downshift The computer get confused and and shuts down the motor . This is to prevent the motor from lugging.

Also shifting manually by using the paddle shifters ,it still needs the shift motor to work.The shift motor does the actual changing of the gears .
thank you so much..I will try this and let you know,

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Yes the more feed back we get from people who have the shifting issues and report back , that this corrected there problems will help others in the future. Thanks.

advertisement