Pioneer Ride Of The Century Discussion Thread!!!

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have an email out to Yellowstonenps.gov now inquiring as to whether or not we will be allowed passage through the park. I enformed them that there will be 5 Pioneer 1000's, all outfitted with the necessary accessories to make them street legal, all licensed and registered in South Dakota, all possessing street legal insurance, all capable of 60mph plus, so no problems maintaining posted speed limits, and that we are requesting passage into the east gate, remaining on the designated park road, exiting through the north gate into Montana, with a possible overnight in one of their designated campgrounds along that route. It says it could be up to two weeks to receive a response due to the volume of email requests that they receive.
Cool. I'll be interested in what they say.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
This is not a working expedition Smitty! Btw, you joining??
I just drive you crazier, I would want to stop in MN and do some Small Mouth fishing, stop in Montana, do some horse back ridding and Yellowstone, do some fly fishing, hike to the top of the Devils Tower and do some camping in the Bad Lands. Sounds like this should be a three month adventure.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I just drive you crazier, I would want to stop in MN and do some Small Mouth fishing, stop in Montana, do some horse back ridding and Yellowstone, do some fly fishing, hike to the top of the Devils Tower and do some camping in the Bad Lands. Sounds like this should be a three month adventure.
And go for several night rides in the desert, I would get side tracked all the time, Where's Smitty?

oldtrucks

oldtrucks

Mar 15, 2015
Pinehurst Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Okay guys, being that I live and ride in Idaho the basic rules here are you can't ride on state or federal highways. Pretty well any other road or street is okay. I would recommend you get a forest service map from each state you are traveling through so you know where the back roads are. I will start working on getting you into Idaho and to your destination.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Cool. I'll be interested in what they say.
Yeah, you and me both brother. The squaw is jumping in to help as well by contacting the states and whatever counties she can see that we may be passing thru, based upon the route already received.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
THAT would be awesome. If I had people that could maintain order in all my forts while I was gone!!!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Okay guys, being that I live and ride in Idaho the basic rules here are you can't ride on state or federal highways. Pretty well any other road or street is okay. I would recommend you get a forest service map from each state you are traveling through so you know where the back roads are. I will start working on getting you into Idaho and to your destination.
That's awesome, thanks dude! Btw, @moparornocar has been provided with a 6 volume set of Gazateers for the states that have all forest service roads marked. They are topographical as well.

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Make sure to go thru Custer National Park as well

advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Looks like we will be entering South Dakota at Roberts county, that's where we're going to begin our contacts.

Last edited:
moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Outfrickinstanding! Much appreciated my friend.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
SD is the same as Idaho in that respect. No 4 lanes. Everything else is open season.
Roger that. That's what the South Dakota State Departments website says. We're emailing Roberts county to hear what they say about both their road restrictions and firearms on UTV rules might be. Everything we get we will be downloading and printing so we have it in a notebook with us.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Found this posted in the Rocky Mountain ATV/UTV monthly.

How cool would it be to be able to legally drive your UTV or ride your ATV on the street to connect Forest Service/BLM/state roads and other trails? Well, it’s legal to do so in almost half of the United States, and there are a few companies that make street-legal kits for UTVs and ATVs. Today’s UTVs already have most of the required equipment such as mufflers, seat belts, headlights, taillights and brake lights. OHV-friendly states like West Virginia let OHVs travel city streets on the Hatfield-McCoy trail system, and Utah recently passed a law saying UTVs were legal on every street except Interstates (I-15 and I-70) or in Salt Lake City. In fact, most states allow counties and towns to set their own standards, and Arizona, Utah, Nevada, Texas, Minnesota, Wyoming, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Montana, North and South Dakota, Washington, Michigan, Kentucky, Nebraska, Ohio, Vermont, Wisconsin, New Hampshire, Tennessee and Colorado (HB15-1054) have laws allowing the street-legalization of OHVs.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
South Dakota state department website says unless you have a CC permit, a firearm carried in your UTV must be completely unloaded, with the firearm in a closed secure case and stowed separate from the ammunition.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
@moparornocar, or anyone else that might know. Does the Pioneer 1000-3/5 come with the necessary spark arrester to satisfy DOT/USFS requirements???

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
As has been mentioned before, a caravan of five Honda Pioneer 1000's pulling odd looking trailers and fabricated boxes on them will be anything but incognito. I expect to have a fair share of LEO engagement on this trip. And it's always possible to encounter an officer with an attitude or one who has insufficient knowledge of the laws within his/her own jurisdiction. All the documentation in the world to the contrary won't impress an officer that believes that you are in violation. Might win in the end, but you still have an unnecessary inconvenience at the least.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Ok, I am going to buy the $15.00 non resident ORV/UTV off road permit which provides legal access to all forestry roads and ATV/UTV trail systems throughout the state, for Wyoming, South Dakota ($25.00) Montana ($27.00) and Idaho. Wyomings state departments website contradicts itself and claims both that you do, and you do not need such permit if your UTV, is licensed as street legal. $15.00 -$30.00 is cheap insurance against a zealous forest ranger that demands to see my permit sticker. All four will be on the hood. However, they run from January 1 thru December 31, so I have to wait till January to get them.

Last edited:
advertisement