P500 p5 suspension

C

Chooglin

After all the work you did, I don't think you should give up on it. If you can't find softer springs, there may be other shocks that will bolt right in... There has to be some solution.
I am going to return the HD springs and then give it a few days to think about it.

I think there is just to much angle on the shock to allow it to compress the way it needs to!

I have a couple more ideas and if they don't work , I give up........lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CumminsPusher
I

Ichybod

Apr 25, 2015
Tucson, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
I am going to return the HD springs and then give it a few days to think about it.

I think there is just to much angle on the shock to allow it to compress the way in needs to!

I have a couple more ideas and if they don't work , I give up........lol
Maybe you could make an adapter for the upper mount and move it outward a little to gain more verticality.

C

Chooglin

Pretty sure I have come up with a solution to shock angle problem , anyone who has any interest in what I am doing , can pm me. I will no longer be posting anymore info or pics. on this mod !

C

Chooglin

I have been doing some thinking the past few days and decided to continue showing my thoughts on this. If someone wants to use any information I post , more power to them.........this is about helping others on this forum !!!

So this is where I am at with the top shock mount. I will be coming up with a mount that will be welded to the outside of the top frame rail.
20161110 164425
In this pic you can see how much it reduces the shock angle from my previous setup.........it is actually less angle than the stock setup. I think this should work out great , even with the heavy duty shocks !!!
20161110 163559
I won't know anything for sure until I get them mounted , but this looks good to me !
20161110 164946

Last edited by a moderator:
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I have been doing some thinking the past few days and decided to continue showing my thoughts on this. If someone wants to use any information I post , more power to them.........this is about helping others on this forum !!!

So this is where I am at with the top shock mount. I will be coming up with a mount that will be welded to the outside of the top frame rail.
View attachment 26220
In this pic you can see how much it reduces the shock angle from my previous setup.........it is actually less angle than the stock setup. I think this should work out great , even with the heavy duty shocks !!!
View attachment 26221
I won't know anything for sure until I get them mounted , but this looks good to me !
View attachment 26222
Thank You @Chooglin! Members like you make this forum what it is! You are creative and innovative and a hell of a craftsman! Again thanks for sharing can't wait to see the final product!

C

Chooglin

Thank You @Chooglin! Members like you make this forum what it is! You are creative and innovative and a hell of a craftsman! Again thanks for sharing can't wait to see the final product!
I really appreciate that !!!

we have alot of good people on this forum who come up with some very koold ideas.

I work with a guy (my boss) who raced sprint cars for years and I asked him for his thoughts on the shock setup. As soon as he seen the pics , he said "that is way to much angle". so I am really hopefull this new setup works !

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How about leverage, did he mentioned to move lower mount more inward??

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500

View attachment 26220
View attachment 26221
View attachment 26222

Thanks Chooglin.... totally on point with assisting others, that is what forums are about I think. You are a valuable asset to this one for sure. Not looked, is there room to design and bolt a bracket that ties both new top mounts and the old mounts together with square tubing in this way increasing strength across the top of the frame? Just thinking out loud the stock setup create forces that are inside the frame structure and your new design will be out side the frame. A solid tube link across the top of the frame tying in the new mounts would add significant strength I think.

Thanks again for sharing, keep up the awesome work.

j

Reactions: Chooglin
advertisement
C

Chooglin

How about leverage, did he mentioned to move lower mount more inward??

He didn't mention that , but I think at this point , there just isn't enough room for much movement of anything. the fact that this new top Mount puts the shock at a less angle than stock , that's about as good as it's going to get !!!

C

Chooglin

Thanks Chooglin.... totally on point with assisting others, that is what forums are about I think. You are a valuable asset to this one for sure. Not looked, is there room to design and bolt a bracket that ties both new top mounts and the old mounts together with square tubing in this way increasing strength across the top of the frame? Just thinking out loud the stock setup create forces that are inside the frame structure and your new design will be out side the frame. A solid tube link across the top of the frame tying in the new mounts would add significant strength I think.

Thanks again for sharing, keep up the awesome work.

j
You mention alot of good points and I have thought about doing this.

When I do this stuff , I usually do it in small bites. I will make a prototype mount and add to it , as I go.

If you look at the top frame area ,near the stock top Mount , there are a few obstacles in the way of using the stock mount for support. If I want to use the stock mounts , I need to figure a work around those obstacles to make it work !
If I can figure that out , I really would like to use the stock mount for support , just like I did on the bottom mount !

C

Chooglin

I made up part of the top bracket today and clamped it on with a c-clamp so I could check the ride height. This is going to work out nice , it is setting very close to stock height ! !!
20161112 153313
This is what the bracket looks like at this point
20161112 155100 20161112 155115
And it looks like I will be able to tie into the stock mount , wich is good news !
This is what it will look like in order to use the stock mount as support !!
20161112 160821
Just another pic
20161112 153241

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok guys, I has happened, we quit hunting elk on Friday, too warm, then pheasants early Saturday morning and after hunt went into shop for the rest of the evening.

Installed Moose 2" hitch mount on top honda rear bumper and cut cut :) , my dad was petrified :)), hahahaaa, he never did anything on suspension or cut his car

Pics to follow.

C

Chooglin

Looking good @solrus , keep us posted on the progress and your thoughts on how you like the feel of the new shocks !

Reactions: CumminsPusher
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have finnally finished them tonight. I had a blast just jumping over stabbed field besides shop.
Night and day , truly. Don't know how good 2017 Honda Oem shocks. But I'm extremely happy with front.
IMG 20161113 195942028
IMG 20161113 204143021
IMG 20161113 204157049

chrisC

chrisC

Lifetime Member
Jul 4, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
advertisement