Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Omg I'm loving hearing all of this good news! Shocks have been one of the biggest complaints I've heard from you guys. I'm hoping one of you guys does a side by side comparison that would be an excellent video!

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Once I get them on, we should plan for a ride together neighbor CumminsPusher, I'm 6 hours away from you. We could meet half way in Kalispell area or Hungry Horse MT

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Kalispell, now you're getting into very pretty country.

Reactions: solrus
chrisC

chrisC

Lifetime Member
Jul 4, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Chris, did you changed preload on front WE? I see there is rotating nut on the top end of the spring. If I understand this shock correctly , the knob on the reservoir controls dumping? and the nut over spring the preload?

Just holding them in my hand gives me that 5 yo excitement feeling.
Yes the big nut is Preload and is supposed to adjust your ride height. It will also effectively increase your spring rate and make your ride stiffer. The small knob on the piggyback adjusts the rate of compression (or dumping) and speeds up or slows down the shocks downward movement. I have my preload nut set to the higher ,spring slack position,
(nut right on top),and compression set to lowest setting. I have yet to bottom out. If I do I'll increase the compression adjustment till that goes away. Please feel free to correct me,this is only stuff I picked up from trying to figure out this P500 problem.
Shocks are a complete science, Adjustable preload is a small change Honda made to the recent shocks....there's Much more needed on their part. Lol

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
Are you guys going to to do video tutorial?? youtube??? You can use mine P500 for this video :).

Jak or Chris, just pack your suitcases , tell your wives that : " honey we are going to Yellowstone or Glacier park MT for sightseeing " and bring your family
just let me know when you want to do it and we can video chat or something to walk you through it

Reactions: solrus
C

Chooglin

@chrisC @jak9922 how did you guys secure the flexible break line after the shock change ? Some pics would be nice !

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good, this helps, I will also set preload to lowest this will help to set zero point for p500 and if needed will increase to lift it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
just let me know when you want to do it and we can video chat or something to walk you through it
Cool, will add Chooglin also, will have video conference , but to drink beer after it we need life meeting :), did not drink beer yet while skype talking

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

chrisC

chrisC

Lifetime Member
Jul 4, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
@chrisC @jak9922 how did you guys secure the flexible break line after the shock change ? Some pics would be nice !

Just had to cut it off and move it over maybe 1/2" or so. Cut it off first by just taking the weld out. You'll need the whole bracket to install back.

Then with that out of the way you can easily get at the shock bracket. A thin cutoff on a mini grinder would work,I used a 3"
cutoff on pencil grinder. There's really lots of material to work with as the bracket is tall enough even after you cut 1/16" to 1/8
"off the bottom

Please no laughing at my "paint" pictureso_O

this is where the brakeline mount was welded on orginally .
Note the distance from top of balljoint. the brakeline mount will move to the left maybe 1/2" when its put back on

Brake bracket yellow

Brake bracket moved 2

hard to see because i had just given it a shot of paint. The yellow outlines the bracket where it ends up....maybe 1/2"or so from original location. Brakelines are under no strain

advertisement
C

Chooglin

Just had to cut it off and move it over maybe 1/2" or so. Cut it off first by just taking the weld out. You'll need the whole bracket to install back.

Then with that out of the way you can easily get at the shock bracket. A thin cutoff on a mini grinder would work,I used a 3"
cutoff on pencil grinder. There's really lots of material to work with as the bracket is tall enough even after you cut 1/16" to 1/8
"off the bottom

Please no laughing at my "paint" pictureso_O

this is where the brakeline mount was welded on orginally .
Note the distance from top of balljoint. the brakeline mount will move to the left maybe 1/2" when its put back on

View attachment 24574
View attachment 24579
hard to see because i had just given it a shot of paint. The yellow outlines the bracket where it ends up....maybe 1/2"or so from original location. Brakelines are under no strain
That is a great description, thank you !

Reactions: jak9922
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
What effect on the ride or handling is there by moving the bottom of the shock out I wonder?

chrisC

chrisC

Lifetime Member
Jul 4, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
What effect on the ride or handling is there by moving the bottom of the shock out I wonder?

I'm guessing initially it lowers the spring rate the further angle you tip it down. Right now it's necessary just to get the shock to fit because its longer. JAK9922 figured out that the yamaha rhino is very close in dimensions to the P5. P5 is around 200lbs lighter ,several (5-6"?) narrower and several inches shorter in wheelbase.So it seems to work good!
If I recall correctly the Rhino has even more of an angle on the shocks than the setup we are talking about on the P5. Moving the top mount in might help , but i'm satisfied with it as it is.

All I can say is the ride and handling is much improved ! :)

Reactions: Tflynn and solrus
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Chris could you please tell me how thin was your cutting disc in mm please , i'm metric guy

I have a friend with shop and air compressor circular cutter, that should work for this application .

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
the shock tab is actually really soft metal and cuts easy and fast

advertisement