P1000 P1000 Roof

A

AZFire

Oct 19, 2015
Long time follower but first post!

So I purchased my P1000 at the very end of last year for an elk hunt and had a factory two piece windshield installed. I passed on the factory roof for three reasons. 1) With the added height it wouldn't be able to go into my garage on the house we are renting. 2) The way they are cast it seems really hard to mount lights on them and 3) I think they are the ugliest thing ever invented from Honda as far as an accessory. But now that the Monsoons have pounded the heck out of us in Arizona its time to get a roof.
I still don't like the factory roofs and have found a couple options out there but they have some very distinct drawbacks that I need your guys opinion on. Bad Dawgs roof ( Honda Pioneer 1000 Crew Cab Aluminum Roof - Bad Dawg UTV Accessories ) are really nice but I'm really nervous about squeaks and rubbing metal to metal. the other option is the SuperATV Tinted Roof ( Honda Pioneer 1000 Tinted Roof ) however it is held onto Rops by straps. And I'm afraid they wouldn't hold up to the AZ weather for years to come. I understand all accessories have draw backs but with a site that is as great as this one has been for me I thought I would post the question and see what you guys think. And or if you had any alternatives. Thanks in advance for the responses.

20161119 154234

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5

So I purchased my P1000 at the very end of last year for an elk hunt and had a factory two piece windshield installed. I passed on the factory roof for three reasons. 1) With the added height it wouldn't be able to go into my garage on the house we are renting. 2) The way they are cast it seems really hard to mount lights on them and 3) I think they are the ugliest thing ever invented from Honda as far as an accessory. But now that the Monsoons have pounded the heck out of us in Arizona its time to get a roof.
I still don't like the factory roofs and have found a couple options out there but they have some very distinct drawbacks that I need your guys opinion on. Bad Dawgs roof ( Honda Pioneer 1000 Crew Cab Aluminum Roof - Bad Dawg UTV Accessories ) are really nice but I'm really nervous about squeaks and rubbing metal to metal. the other option is the SuperATV Tinted Roof ( Honda Pioneer 1000 Tinted Roof ) however it is held onto Rops by straps. And I'm afraid they wouldn't hold up to the AZ weather for years to come. I understand all accessories have draw backs but with a site that is as great as this one has been for me I thought I would post the question and see what you guys think. And or if you had any alternatives. Thanks in advance for the responses.

View attachment 51320
You could very easily make one out of 1/2 or 3/8 uhmw or hdpe. Hdpe is much cheaper and I think it would hold up fine. There are several places online that sell full sheets of both.

A

AZFire

Oct 19, 2015
Ha! Never thought of DIY. I'll look to see how to bend it and also see if Ropes brackets will set off far enough to allow it not to hit ropes everywhere.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Reactions: CumminsPusher
Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If ugly (in your opinion) could be lower on your list, the stock roof (in MY opinion...lol) is amazing. Mostly because of the Honda quick clamp system. It sheds water pretty well, is very well made and fits like a glove...it ain't cheap though. It will also fit and follow the contours of your Honda two piece windshield precisely. Something to think about...

jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R

View attachment 51320
Hi AZFire and welcome to the forum. Don't worry about what others think. You've had a Honda how long without a top? Soft top guy here and I like them. Don't raise height and go on and off easy. Just put one on my 1000 3 I got and like it. My third different Pioneer and I like the soft tops.

Stevo

Stevo

Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the factory top. I agree it's ugly but is easy to take on and off. Main reason for getting it cause there was 500 dollars on Honda accessories when I bought my p1000 a few months ago. My two piece Honda windshield fits good against the top.
I am in IL and plan on taking mine out to AZ in future daughter lives in Mesa and have been out rock climbing with jeeps and wonder how the pioneer will handle the terrain out there?

J

JTW

The Honda is good... but if I were doing it again... I would look at building something with a sort of "T tops" for the front section. My jeep top is this way and it's awesome. There are a lot of times I'd like that openness on the Honda!

advertisement
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The factory one is as tough as they come. But I like my diy aluminum roofs better. Lower like you said you wanted. Mine has yet to make a single squeak. Lots of different ways to prevent squeaking. 1/8" is more than tough enough for a roof. So you'll be lower than any other material out and still light weight. Just a thought.

Rayrule

Rayrule

Lifetime Member
Apr 1, 2017
Catskills Mts. NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had a soft roof which didn't hold up too well. Just put the bad dawg 2 piece aluminum roof on & have yet to hear a squeak. The brackets hold it up off the cage & they give you some little rubber bumpers to place in some high spots & rubber strip to put in between the 2 pieces (front & rear). Simple installation. Just check when you receive delivery that there is no damage. Mine had a few bends in it, but I haven't tried calling them yet. Nothing I couldn't straighten, but still you pay $500 for something that should be packaged better for shipping.

Reactions: sharp
A

AZFire

Oct 19, 2015
I had a soft roof which didn't hold up too well. Just put the bad dawg 2 piece aluminum roof on & have yet to hear a squeak. The brackets hold it up off the cage & they give you some little rubber bumpers to place in some high spots & rubber strip to put in between the 2 pieces (front & rear). Simple installation. Just check when you receive delivery that there is no damage. Mine had a few bends in it, but I haven't tried calling them yet. Nothing I couldn't straighten, but still you pay $500 for something that should be packaged better for shipping.

I was all set to Order a Bad Dawg roof before I posted here and then seen on reviews the amount of roofs that they send out that are bent and scratched. Not worried about the Scratched part but bent would throw me over the deep end on customer service. Good to know about the squeaks not being an issue.
I think I'll tackle making one as Glockmeisters suggest. I ordered 12 Rop Clamps and will order/pick up a sheet of HDPE when in Phoenix next. I tried getting some Tinted Lexan but that stuff is like Gold in the Southwest.

A

AZFire

Oct 19, 2015
The Honda is good... but if I were doing it again... I would look at building something with a sort of "T tops" for the front section. My jeep top is this way and it's awesome. There are a lot of times I'd like that openness on the Honda!

That's the reason I wanted the Tinted Lexan. seems it would give you more of an open feeling.

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ain't just the southwest. That stuff is high everywhere. I want a different roof for mine as well, but I need to have the cage modded the way I want before I do that. Get rid of the goofy angles at the back of the 5p roof.

Reactions: sharp
A

AZFire

Oct 19, 2015
Ain't just the southwest. That stuff is high everywhere. I want a different roof for mine as well, but I need to have the cage modded the way I want before I do that. Get rid of the goofy angles at the back of the 5p roof.

I just got a call from a plastic company in Phoenix and said they may have some remnants that will work and cheap. Ha! Cheaper anyways.

Reactions: JTW
Z

zin01

May 2, 2017
Royse City
There is another roof that was advertised it was aluminum and looked pretty good they said they had automotive rubber between it and the bars but I think they wanted like $850 or something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

strongbuilt

strongbuilt

Sep 7, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I built my own! Tear it up, it turned out amazing the local Honda dealership gave me some huge compliments!

Reactions: Eltobgi and Neohio
advertisement