P1000 Oil Cooler

M

Montana

Oct 29, 2015
They make a WATER WETTER ADDITIVE. WORKS FANTASTIC. Add that to your cooing system and forget the modifications!!!

Last edited:
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds like you mix it in 1oz for small engines

M

Montana

Oct 29, 2015
You can buy it at most auto supply houses. Yes just add some to your cooling system. Add rest to your tow truck. Thanks.

Reactions: knuckledeep
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The clutch disc material is attached with a binder of some sort. Hypothetically if the oil gets hot enough to degrade or break down the binder, the clutches could fail.

I don't have a clue what the binder is or what point it would degrade. But, keeping the oil cooler might be beneficial.

The clutch slips a little bit all the time when the RPMs of the wheels and the crank don't match (like speeding up or slowing down and starting/shifting). If the heat isn't getting out of the oil in a timely fashion, it might be building up to the point the clutch wear accelerates way beyond normal.

That might also explain why you guys that run Bull Run a lot don't have problems like some others do. Since you are in and out of water a bunch your overall average oil temps may be lower than those that are relying on just the radiator dump the waste heat out of the whole system.

That is why I am very interested to see what Honda's fix is. Heat or clamping force or electrical or a combination of all of them or none of them. :)

Yes they are glued to a non etched surface with glue than can only take probably 300°F....maybe. Not all clutches delaminate though. I'm sure some probably do.

I'm not referring to normal clutch Slip. I'm talking about those people that have excessive clutch slip and only get a couple hundred miles per set. An oil cooler is not going to prevent that excessive clutch slip.

But thanks for explaining how a clutch works though.

As for riding in the water, I often ride in a group of Pioneers that will ride in hot conditions for hours with out stopping. If i constantly rode in water, that may be a valid point. Or if I got my vehicle last month it may be valid but I purchased in 2015 and ride the hell of it in southern heat loaded with gear, passengers and large tires. A lot of other guys do this as well.

Honda needs to figure out why there are inconsistencies instead of putting a bandaid on it in my opinion. Now maybe this is the first item of a round of improvements. That would be nice. Maybe they are contacting the clutch supplier and improving the quality of that part. Then maybe they're also looking at clamping force. Maybe they're also looking at improving oil flow rates. How about assembly issues? I'm very sure that has killed several sets.

My point is, increased oil flow may help. It won't fix all issues. I think that's why we've not heard any news because this DCT is too complicated and can have several failure points.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
They make a WATER WETTER ADDITIVE. WORKS FANTASTIC. Add that to your cooing system and forget the modifications!!!

This additive won't change the vehicles thermostat for you though. It will only help if oil temp is over the thermostat temp.

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
screw it im just gonna dump all this liquid nitrogen in my cooling system. I bet nothing slips then!

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
screw it im just gonna dump all this liquid nitrogen in my cooling system. I bet nothing slips then!
Nope it definitely won't slip then. Video that s***!:)

Last edited:
Reactions: joeymt33
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's what I was wondering after reading about it.. if you're running coolant you are already doing the same thing this stuff does.
Its great for race tracks that wont allow you to run conventional ethylene glycol based coolant.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Reactions: JTW
M

Montana

Oct 29, 2015
I read the Literature on a water wetter product and it said to use with Antifreeze also. In addition to straight water

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Just curious cause mine seems to lean on the side of hot, remember when you drove it joey and it was running hot? Usually runs 3 bars

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
In the poultry business we used to use a water wetter product for evaporative cooling in poultry houses. It does work but it would only work in an automobile if the temperature was staying above the thermostat setting.

Reactions: JTW and ohanacreek
knuckledeep

knuckledeep

my trailer queen is trashy
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I added 2 bottles to my truck when I changed rad water pump hoses etc and to be honest I did not notice a diffrence at all

A small fam on the oil cooler would prob help the best

Reactions: JTW and joeymt33

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Y'all remember that the oil NEEDS to be 212 degrees F to vaporize the water condensate that can get into the oil.

Also, engine specs like bearing tolerances are are set at what the OEM says is optimal operating temp. Those specs change when the engine is hot vs cold. That's why they tell you to check valve clearance on a cold engine.

One last thing is the viscosity of multi grade oil changes at different temps so be aware of that.

Now all these things listed are very minimal so you would probably be fine but Honda is the world leader in building reliable off road machines. I don't want to stray to far from their design. Now if you were going to pull a plow or disc 6 hours a day then you could probably justify it.

If you decide to put an oil cooler on it, do one with a thermostat so the engine can warm up to optimal operating temp but the additional cooler will help keep it from going over that.

Sent from my iPad 7G
Very true and very important!!! I've been in countless arguements with people over the years because they want their engines to run "as cool as possible". That is an oil life killer, and therefore an engine life killer. Not to mention tolerances at specific heat, and inefficiencies the whole time that you are killing your engine. There are no better ways to regulate an engine than what Honda, Yamaha, Polaris, Can-Am, Ford, Chrysler, GM, Toyota, etc etc etc have been doing for the better part of a century. My opinion...leave it alone. If you are overheating your oil, you are using your machine outside of it's design parameters and something else will fail in short order.

Reactions: joeymt33
advertisement