H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
It looks like there will be more oil pressure and oil cooling on the clutch but if the clutch is subjected to prolonged slippage it will fail, it will just take a lot more slippage. I'm over 8,000 miles on my P1000-3 and its still just like new and nothing broke. I run 28 inch tires. I make sure I'm above 1,800 rpm and usually above 2,500. If there is any 2nd, 4th, 6th gear clutch failure it probably has to be a low oil pressure problem. The P1000 is not a good choice for severe stop and go rock crawling especially with large heavy mud tires. Super low gearing like the Pioneer 500 or a torque converter would make it way more bullet proof. I do some mild low speed rock crawling but lots of fast paced riding. My average speed is 19.6 mph. I still have the need for speed and when I ride with my Maverick X3 Turbo buddies I drive my Yamaha YXZ.

T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It looks like there will be more oil pressure and oil cooling on the clutch but if the clutch is subjected to prolonged slippage it will fail, it will just take a lot more slippage. I'm over 8,000 miles on my P1000-3 and its still just like new and nothing broke. I run 28 inch tires. I make sure I'm above 1,800 rpm and usually above 2,500. If there is any 2nd, 4th, 6th gear clutch failure it probably has to be a low oil pressure problem. The P1000 is not a good choice for severe stop and go rock crawling especially with large heavy mud tires. Super low gearing like the Pioneer 500 or a torque converter would make it way more bullet proof. I do some mild low speed rock crawling but lots of fast paced riding. My average speed is 19.6 mph. I still have the need for speed and when I ride with my Maverick X3 Turbo buddies I drive my Yamaha YXZ.
Any more updates on the new clutch fix that is suppose to be coming out

Reactions: AZhunter and sharp
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I heard after first of the year it was supposed to come out on the 18's. Not sure when parts available but suspect around same time but it'll be tough to come by for a bit I suspect

Reactions: pct and sharp
Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
I have searched through the partsfish and found a few new parts with Hondatechs help I have ordered the case, clutch end gear and a small orfice thing already so I'll post up they ever come in

AZhunter

AZhunter

Jan 26, 2017
Peoria, Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If

If anything itll be a kit number. Hopefully the wait means Honda has stocked up on parts for this. Im 5 units deep on heat kits atm with parts on hand just waiting on units.
Do you know if Honda will pay for these clutch upgrade installs or will we get stuck paying for these parts like some of the other fixes?

Reactions: sharp
Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
I think that's still up in the air, I know I'll prob have to do it myself with the IGR. Just depends on Honda

Reactions: pct and sharp
T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Honda should fix this since they must not have done enough testing on these clutches before they released the pioneer to the public but wether they do or not is a different story. I hope Honda makes these clutches right at no cost to us

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I have searched through the partsfish and found a few new parts with Hondatechs help I have ordered the case, clutch end gear and a small orfice thing already so I'll post up they ever come in
That's awesome news!

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I would think there may be an upgrade kit. It would be great if Honda would do a goodwill warranty one time for the guys out of warranty. They can easily test the improved clutch by stopping on a steep hill and hold it from backing up with the throttle. It would be interesting to see the difference between a stock 2016 and the improved clutch or a 2018 model. I would like to know how long it takes to overheat and burn up a clutch. The Yamaha YXZ clutch won't take much abuse. The patented Tubeworks oil mod improves the YXZ clutch so you can get it super hot and not burn it out.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I would think there may be an upgrade kit. It would be great if Honda would do a goodwill warranty one time for the guys out of warranty. They can easily test the improved clutch by stopping on a steep hill and hold it from backing up with the throttle. It would be interesting to see the difference between a stock 2016 and the improved clutch or a 2018 model. I would like to know how long it takes to overheat and burn up a clutch. The Yamaha YXZ clutch won't take much abuse. The patented Tubeworks oil mod improves the YXZ clutch so you can get it super hot and not burn it out.
Hopefully this setup extends life all around for people.

advertisement

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I use my P1K strictly for commercial use to put food in my kid's mouth and all I'm asking for is my P1K to last longer than the loan. If I can get that, I'll cut my losses and go back to the brand that I never had to work on or worry about. Sweat'in it out with this unit. I'm one of those guys that has to love his tools. Sux to be so picky.

J

JTW

I use my P1K strictly for commercial use to put food in my kid's mouth and all I'm asking for is my P1K to last longer than the loan. If I can get that, I'll cut my losses and go back to the brand that I never had to work on or worry about. Sweat'in it out with this unit. I'm one of those guys that has to love his tools. Sux to be so picky.
But half of your issues are you.. I'm fully aware that there are issues but if you had never read anything about it, would you still have a problem or would you use it like you imagined. Clearly there is a QC issue at Honda but we've all done the same s*** when it comes to stressing too much about something so intermittent

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
But half of your issues are you.. I'm fully aware that there are issues but if you had never read anything about it, would you still have a problem or would you use it like you imagined. Clearly there is a QC issue at Honda but we've all done the same s*** when it comes to stressing too much about something so intermittent
Damn it's hard sometimes for me to keep my mouth shut but I think I'm doing better about it lately:)

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Interesting point. The only thing I haven't actually had a problem with is my clutches. They are working as expected, but this forum helped me to "cool the jets" on how I drive it... so that may be why they haven't died yet. With my previous machines, I was used to just getting in and mashing the gas and maximizing my productivity. With this machine, I have to be mindful of how and where I use it. Everything else I've b*****d about was experienced by me and my machine specifically. Straight shootin'...I was ragged to no end about owning a Ranger 570, but I loved it and it served me well. My coworker would say " dude...this is a hard working machine!" Without going into detail about all the crap about the Honda, all I hear now is "dude...this thing is a piece of s***." And ya know...I agree. Just disappointed is all. I'll get over it!

J

JTW

Interesting point. The only thing I haven't actually had a problem with is my clutches. They are working as expected, but this forum helped me to "cool the jets" on how I drive it... so that may be why they haven't died yet. With my previous machines, I was used to just getting in and mashing the gas and maximizing my productivity. With this machine, I have to be mindful of how and where I use it. Everything else I've b*****d about was experienced by me and my machine specifically. Straight shootin'...I was ragged to no end about owning a Ranger 570, but I loved it and it served me well. My coworker would say " dude...this is a hard working machine!" Without going into detail about all the crap about the Honda, all I hear now is "dude...this thing is a piece of s***." And ya know...I agree. Just disappointed is all. I'll get over it!
Oh, I get it.. I just wonder how many would have different opinions if they'd read the OM and not read the Internet. Your issues have been total failure of QC on the dealer/Honda. I'm glad I read what I have.. as I do think I eliminated some potential issues. But it has been a machine that does require a little more attention than Hondas of days past.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Oh, I get it.. I just wonder how many would have different opinions if they'd read the OM and not read the Internet. Your issues have been total failure of QC on the dealer/Honda. I'm glad I read what I have.. as I do think I eliminated some potential issues. But it has been a machine that does require a little more attention than Hondas of days past.
Yeah! The owner's manual! There are a lot of users that don't speak machine language. You and I do. We can hear and feel when a machine is in distress. I'll admit that many of the failures are from "C'mon dude....Really?" type scenarios.

Reactions: sharp and JTW
J

JTW

Yeah! The owner's manual! There are a lot of users that don't speak machine language. You and I do. We can hear and feel when a machine is in distress. I'll admit that many of the failures are from "C'mon dude....Really?" type scenarios.
I just hope they come out with a real fix.. none of this bandaid bulls*** for the clutches. Seat heat, dash heat, intake issues are all user solvable. They're all hot.. they all are loud... they all have some kinks to work out and evolving to do the first few years. But major systems flaws and quality control issues should be addressed. There's no reason a machine should be sent out with loose bolts, stripped bolts, loose intake hose clamps and so on. There's no reason it should be so out of alignment that they prematurely wear out tires. I shouldn't have to fix heat and intake and other "issues" as preemptive maintenance but I can live with that if they take care of the big things. But I guess this is what happens when your pool of workers has no pride in their product.. it's just a job. f***ing Honda set the bar so high for themselves with past atvs that are still going strong today. Just the Trend of electronics over mechanical systems I guess.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm thinking cooking a clutch and having @Delton tow you home is going to suck (once on the trail and again later when he posts the video and gloats).
Get the update and you can thumb your nose at Delton.
Hey if you don't like being towed stay away from new Rangers. Hell yeah I gloated. And when I break and need a tow, feel free to gloat all ya want. Cause I'll own that sh*t. Only finger I'll be pointing is the one pointing at me. A character strength some have yet to acquire lol.

advertisement