P1000 Official Honda Clutch Fix Incoming

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just hope they come out with a real fix.. none of this bandaid bulls*** for the clutches. Seat heat, dash heat, intake issues are all user solvable. They're all hot.. they all are loud... they all have some kinks to work out and evolving to do the first few years. But major systems flaws and quality control issues should be addressed. There's no reason a machine should be sent out with loose bolts, stripped bolts, loose intake hose clamps and so on. There's no reason it should be so out of alignment that they prematurely wear out tires. I shouldn't have to fix heat and intake and other "issues" as preemptive maintenance but I can live with that if they take care of the big things. But I guess this is what happens when your pool of workers has no pride in their product.. it's just a job. f***ing Honda set the bar so high for themselves with past atvs that are still going strong today. Just the Trend of electronics over mechanical systems I guess.
Very well said sir. Totally agree 100%.

Reactions: JTW
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Just got my letter on the heat fix. I'm sure Honda wants everyone happy with their P1000 and I do expect we will see something on the clutch before long. We may see a super low geared mud model with large tires in a few years. I do a lot of long solo remote rides and need great reliability so after seeing the problems on the forum I have been extra careful with the clutch. I have put thousands of miles on my 8 belt drive side by sides and have replaced a lot of belts. I had to replace 2 complete belt drives on 2 of my Polaris models. Yamaha has the best belt drive and its easy to rebuild for about $100 in moving parts and a belt. All side by sides have problems but they all are getting way better.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just got my letter on the heat fix. I'm sure Honda wants everyone happy with their P1000 and I do expect we will see something on the clutch before long. We may see a super low geared mud model with large tires in a few years. I do a lot of long solo remote rides and need great reliability so after seeing the problems on the forum I have been extra careful with the clutch. I have put thousands of miles on my 8 belt drive side by sides and have replaced a lot of belts. I had to replace 2 complete belt drives on 2 of my Polaris models. Yamaha has the best belt drive and its easy to rebuild for about $100 in moving parts and a belt. All side by sides have problems but they all are getting way better.
I've heard Yamaha has the best belt drive from other sources too. Do they maybe use a system like the Polaris aftermarket Duraclutch? Belt stays engaged all the time and clutching comes from a centrifugal drum like our old go-karts?

Reactions: sharp
H

HondaTech

Honda dropped the clutch fix today for dealers. Their replacing the clutch cover with new orifice in it a new No. 1 clutch guide gear and a new mainshaft bearing in the clutch cover. The new guide gear also has a seal that previously wasn't there as well.

Attachments

• Clutchupdate.pdf
    373.1 KB · Views: 490

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Honda dropped the clutch fix today for dealers. Their replacing the clutch cover with new orifice in it a new No. 1 clutch guide gear and a new mainshaft bearing in the clutch cover. The new guide gear also has a seal that previously wasn't there as well.
WHAAAATTTT???!!!! Wow! Now I'm gettin happy!!

H

HondaTech

To correct myself, there is not a seal on the outer guide gear, in a haste to post i misread the paper work. They were referring to the outer 2 seal rings already present. Also be kind to your dealers, we have to order these from Tecline at the moment and if their not a powerhouse dealer they may have to sit on the line for a long time to get a hold of someone. I have the fortune to be a level 5 dealer and get first in line when I call. I'm 7 units deep on just heat kits and that was before anyone got a letter, and more call everyday about it. These two campaigns ought to keep our winter plenty busy.

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
To correct myself, there is not a seal on the outer guide gear, in a haste to post i misread the paper work. They were referring to the outer 2 seal rings already present. Also be kind to your dealers, we have to order these from Tecline at the moment and if their not a powerhouse dealer they may have to sit on the line for a long time to get a hold of someone. I have the fortune to be a level 5 dealer and get first in line when I call. I'm 7 units deep on just heat kits and that was before anyone got a letter, and more call everyday about it. These two campaigns ought to keep our winter plenty busy.
Heres my question....i havent had any clutch issues and am not keen on splitting it..will we be able to do this later.....or now or never?

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Will clutches be replaced at the same time the kit is installed at no cost to the owner?o_O

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Great news on the clutch and many of us can wait or don't need the improvement due to our riding style or good luck of having no issues. Silverado the Yamaha belt drive has a wet clutch and rollers that run in grease. Its very easy to take apart to replace the rollers and grease.

advertisement
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The clutch improvement may be offered for one year like the heat kit. I also expect the guys with a clutch failure will be first in line to get the improved parts and tech line may want the failure clutch.

Reactions: sharp and joeymt33
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I just hope they come out with a real fix.. none of this bandaid bulls*** for the clutches. Seat heat, dash heat, intake issues are all user solvable. They're all hot.. they all are loud... they all have some kinks to work out and evolving to do the first few years. But major systems flaws and quality control issues should be addressed. There's no reason a machine should be sent out with loose bolts, stripped bolts, loose intake hose clamps and so on. There's no reason it should be so out of alignment that they prematurely wear out tires. I shouldn't have to fix heat and intake and other "issues" as preemptive maintenance but I can live with that if they take care of the big things. But I guess this is what happens when your pool of workers has no pride in their product.. it's just a job. f***ing Honda set the bar so high for themselves with past atvs that are still going strong today. Just the Trend of electronics over mechanical systems I guess.
Absolutely incredibly stated! I tend to get upset at times and over say things but this is what I've been trying to say without the mad rant bs. My EXACT sentiments word for word. Don't personally give a f*** about a little extra seat heat just want a quality built rig that continues to run. I.e. a Honda

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Absolutely incredibly stated! I tend to get upset at times and over say things but this is what I've been trying to say without the mad rant bs. My EXACT sentiments word for word. Don't personally give a f*** about a little extra seat heat just want a quality built rig that continues to run. I.e. a Honda

I agree also. I have a 2003 Honda Foreman. It's a highly durable vehicle. I really doubt that I will have a 14-year-old pioneer! It just doesn't give me that warm and fuzzy feeling.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Great news on the clutch and many of us can wait or don't need the improvement due to our riding style or good luck of having no issues. Silverado the Yamaha belt drive has a wet clutch and rollers that run in grease. Its very easy to take apart to replace the rollers and grease.
Thx!!! Makes sense because Polaris as you know is dry weights/rollers and belt slip for clutch action. Great info! Thx!

Tbowman053

Tbowman053

Dec 18, 2016
Henderson, MD
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The clutch improvement may be offered for one year like the heat kit. I also expect the guys with a clutch failure will be first in line to get the improved parts and tech line may want the failure clutch.
1 year at no cost? Then what? no more out of date warranty claims? So even if we have no issues sounds like we better get our machines in there before the one year mark and have to pay for it once its toast

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I would think it will be more durable due to more clamping pressure and more oil cooling. There is over 6 quarts of oil in the engine. Its the same clutch and large heavy tires will still be hard on it. It may take a few years but I would like super low gearing like the Pioneer 500. It comes with 24 inch tires. I use 27's for rock crawling and 30's for trail use with a top speed of 46 mph. JTW Most all of my 15 side by sides since Dec 2004 have a out of spec front end alignment bad enough to damage the front tires. The exception was the 3 Polaris models I had.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
1 year at no cost? Then what? no more out of date warranty claims? So even if we have no issues sounds like we better get our machines in there before the one year mark and have to pay for it once its toast
No it shows 3 years for the "fix" shows nothing on combining clutches if out so that would be based off of your warranty or possibly "good will" I would think
IMG 0352

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
If it doesn't have a problem in a year it should be good for several thousand miles. My P1000-3 is over 8,000 miles and still takes off and drives like new. My 2011 RZR 900 went 8,300 and some miles until the belt was out of spec. The problem was the weights, pins, rollers, were worn out and pulley face was grooved. I had to instill an all new belt drive at a cost of about $1,700.00.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Or burn 'em up on purpose when you get close to your end of warranty. Kills me to say that but I don't like being the guinea pig. I think a popular question will be "what VIN numbers will have this new clutch cover and gear guide from the factory?" I.E. Is my unit one of the pre-fixes or post fix?

advertisement