P1000 Official Honda Clutch Fix Incoming

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Not true.
I hope it's not. So if I have more than one set of clutches fail in 4 years for any reason, they'll honor the warranty 100%? If that's the case and has proven to be so by others who have had multiple failures, I'll be satisfied with my warranty. And kudos to Honda for stepping up and standing behind their product.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
And another thing I heard that may be B***S***, Is it really a $3,800.00 fix if out of warranty? That seems awful high.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just searched "clutch replacement cost" and lo and behold, $3800.00 is what came up. Can't be right.

J

JTW

When mine were done on warranty he did Honda allowed 2 or 2.5 hours for a clutch repair. So figure your shops hourly rate on that plus $400 in material and that SHOULD be what it costs!

Reactions: 0860silverado

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
When mine were done on warranty he did Honda allowed 2 or 2.5 hours for a clutch repair. So figure your shops hourly rate on that plus $400 in material and that SHOULD be what it costs!
GM shop rate at $80.00 per hour.
The last time I saw an hourly shop rate for mechanic work it was $80.00 per hour. May be more now. Figure $100.00 per hour and grace time 3 hours labor... $700.00 is what my math comes to. Honestly, I don't see those clutches being changed in 3 hours. There's a whole lotta mess that needs to be removed just to get to that case.

J

JTW

GM shop rate at $80.00 per hour.

The last time I saw an hourly shop rate for mechanic work it was $80.00 per hour. May be more now. Figure $100.00 per hour and grace time 3 hours labor... $700.00 is what my math comes to. Honestly, I don't see those clutches being changed in 3 hours. There's a whole lotta mess that needs to be removed just to get to that case.
Well, they get $200 for an oil change so I dunno... oil change materials are about $60

I haven't done clutch swap myself but the guys that have done them mulitiple times, say it's a pretty quick procedure once you get the hang of it. Most of the time is getting the rear floorboard in and out. FYI.. my dealer tried to feed me a line of s*** about how the bed and rear rops had to come off to change them. That's false and complete bs!

@Kilo427 @CumminsPusher

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well, they get $200 for an oil change so I dunno... oil change materials are about $60

I haven't done clutch swap myself but the guys that have done them mulitiple times, say it's a pretty quick procedure once you get the hang of it. Most of the time is getting the rear floorboard in and out. FYI.. my dealer tried to feed me a line of s*** about how the bed and rear rops had to come off to change them. That's false and complete bs!

@Kilo427 @CumminsPusher
Duuuude... I so want to learn that procedure. My Polaris had me mortified about the whole "belt nightmare" thing and when the time came to replace the clutches after 5000+ miles, I was like, "Really? That's it?" Nothin to it!

advertisement
J

JTW

Duuuude... I so want to learn that procedure. My Polaris had me mortified about the whole "belt nightmare" thing and when the time came to replace the clutches after 5000+ miles, I was like, "Really? That's it?" Nothin to it!
I feel pretty confident that it won't be that bad. It sounds terrible, but get it good and clean and buy replacement bolts. I'm not buying the extended warranty after hearing the bs line on the clutch change from my dealer. After it's out of warranty I'll do all servicing. Besides for what the extended warranty costs I can replace the clutches for less and hopefully if and when that time comes Honda will warranty them or at least have the issues sorted out!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

@Kilo427 @CumminsPusher
Box up floor pan off your at them. Sat under there for some time. Everything goes right rig clean pretty simple.

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
unless you have IGR, or at least my version of IGR. Then the main gear is to large to come out and the entire casing has to come off. But a normal clutch change is sooooo easy.

U

uconn411

Mar 24, 2016
CT
Any new info? I have a friend considering a 1000 but is on the fence b/c of the clutch issue. Also hoping the “fix” can and be applied to 2016 and 2017 models...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 0860silverado

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Any new info? I have a friend considering a 1000 but is on the fence b/c of the clutch issue. Also hoping the “fix” can and be applied to 2016 and 2017 models...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm gonna get a lot of hate from the fan boys here but here goes... I have a 2016 1000-3. The only thing I can say good about it is it has a spectacular engine and power steering system. Way too many hates about the machine to list but they're all mentioned by myself and other owners on this site and they're all legitimate. If he's dead set on getting one in spite of all these issues, I'll make him a really good deal on mine. Maybe the things that bug me won't bug him. And to prove that I'm not a Honda hater, I'll attest that they make the best ATVs on the planet, fantastic cars, best generators, amongst the greatest racing motorcycles, cruiser motorcycles, touring motorcycles (Gold Wing woooooww), dirt bikes, small engines for pressure washers etc. I'm as perplexed as anyone on how they could miss the mark so badly on their flagship SxS.

Last edited:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't know that I would buy a specific machine that has so many documented issues in so few miles. I'd be all about buying one like @joeymt33 machine that has over 2000 well documented miles and is still going strong.

It is a black mark on the reliability Rep that Honda has, but Honda seems to be keen on fixing it just having to tear up a lot of clutches themselves to do it.

Im guessing part of problem is most of information from owners they're getting is probably worthless to yield statistics. Since no one wants to pay for a clutch repair on a new machine that's under warranty there's more bs than water in the pacific.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I don't know that I would buy a specific machine that has so many documented issues in so few miles. I'd be all about buying one like @joeymt33 machine that has over 2000 well documented miles and is still going strong.

It is a black mark on the reliability Rep that Honda has, but Honda seems to be keen on fixing it just having to tear up a lot of clutches themselves to do it.

Im guessing part of problem is most of information from owners they're getting is probably worthless to yield statistics. Since no one wants to pay for a clutch repair on a new machine that's under warranty there's more bs than water in the pacific.
That's because for if you're remotely honest or they see some way to get out of it they void you. Been there lol. Like the guy that broke three axles with a clutch issue and was covered you need a good story if it's not the machine that failed.

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
touring motorcycles (Gold Wing woooooww)

Sorry Silver, this is where we have to go our separate ways...LOL
Lake Powell UT

advertisement