P1000 New Pioneer overheats and boiled over

T

TheProvider

Sep 5, 2021
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello folks,

New to the forum and SxS life. Just purchased a 2021 pioneer 1000-5 in camp (see attached). I got it home and took it for a 20 minute ride with the kids. Pulled it into the garage and it started boiling over. Never noticed the temp light or the fan being on. Refilled the radiator and overflow tank. Performed the bleed procedure at the thermostat. Pulled it into the driveway and let it idle for 30ish minutes. It hit 4 bars on the temp gage, and once again no fan. I have checked all the connections and cannot find any loose contacts. The dealer I bought it from is 2 hours away, and has not been a great help (slightly pissed). I called 2 local dealers to schedule a warranty service and the earliest appointment is 2 weeks out. Looking for any advice on this situation. I have also attached a 3rd pic of this wire under the hood, should this wire be wrapped up like this?

Thanks for any help and being a great source of knowledge so far.

247F7723 CED4 4AE0 9159 DD2856BE2441 B02C4AAF CB85 4E51 87A6 40435F0EE2F6 Image

Reactions: Lady01
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
Welcome to the site and congrats on the purchase!

the wire is an extra ground wire.

The P1k5 can be a real bugger to get the air out. You need to raise the front as high as you can and top off. Run a bit like this, let cool, check again.

If I remember right the fan runs on a thermocouple mounted to the radiator…the temp sensor is on the motor. If you have air in the motor the coolant won’t flow properly.

not the first time we’ve seen this from a dealer.

H

HondaSXS1343

Aug 15, 2020
US
That's a shame considering a new machine, not something I have commonly heard on the forum. I am sure others may have some advice for you on potential issues. Hang in there..

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hi,
Sorry to hear this and I know it sucks. If the fan is not working we need to solve that.

To start, there is a connector on the passenger side at the bottom of the radiator for the fan. This is the fan connection.
Then... There is a small box under the driver's seat. This is the fan control box. Its the smallest box under there.
Make sure both of these are connected.
I would inspect the connections for bent pins maybe.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
At the control box under the seat.
You can test the fan by applying 12v to the connector. (not the box)
There are 2 connectors, a 4 pin, and a 2 pin.
Take the 2 pin apart.
Apply 12V + to the BLUE wire.
And GROUND the GREEN wire.
The fan should come ON.
Be careful not to sort them.

H

HondaTech

At the control box under the seat.
You can test the fan by applying 12v to the connector. (not the box)
There are 2 connectors, a 4 pin, and a 2 pin.
Take the 2 pin apart.
Apply 12V + to the BLUE wire.
And GROUND the GREEN wire.
The fan should come ON.
Be careful not to sort them.

If you unplug the coolant temp sensor, next to the thermostat and turn the key on then the fan should run. This is and easy way to test the entire system in one go.

H

HondaTech

Welcome to the site and congrats on the purchase!

the wire is an extra ground wire.

The P1k5 can be a real bugger to get the air out. You need to raise the front as high as you can and top off. Run a bit like this, let cool, check again.

If I remember right the fan runs on a thermocouple mounted to the radiator…the temp sensor is on the motor. If you have air in the motor the coolant won’t flow properly.

not the first time we’ve seen this from a dealer.

The P1K fan is triggered to run from a box under the seat. The ECT sensor determines temp and triggers the box to turn it on.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
If you unplug the coolant temp sensor, next to the thermostat and turn the key on then the fan should run. This is and easy way to test the entire system in one go.
the blue connector right?

advertisement
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Whatever color the 3 pin connector on the head behind the seat panel is. I can't remember. It's made on the sensor, not a pigtail.
Just went and tested on my project P1k..
Unplugged the blue plug on top of the thermostat.
Cranked it... It struggled to crank.
But the fan came on as soon as it crunk.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just went and tested on my project P1k..
Unplugged the blue plug on top of the thermostat.
Cranked it... It struggled to crank.
But the fan came on as soon as it crunk.
I've added "crunk" to my vocabulary as the past-tense of crank. Thx! I'll share one of my own words with you... The past-tense of "spend" is "spunt". Ex.... "I spunt $1200.00 on new tires today"

T

TheProvider

Sep 5, 2021
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you for the tip! I check over all of the connections again, along with the control box under the seat. Everything checked out. I unplugged the temp sensor and turned the machine on. Shockingly the fan still did not work. Next course of action?

H

HondaTech

Thank you for the tip! I check over all of the connections again, along with the control box under the seat. Everything checked out. I unplugged the temp sensor and turned the machine on. Shockingly the fan still did not work. Next course of action?

Let me look at the wiring diagram, im not sure if there is a dedicated relay for the fan on the Pioneer.

advertisement