P1000 Low Oil Pressure

S

Silentx

Feb 26, 2018
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had this same problem with my 1000-5. The machine was just in for the clutch cover upgrade after this was done the oil light would randomly come on. If you shut the machine off and turn it back off the light goes out. after a short time randomly it would come back on. Took it back to Honda dealer and the mechanic knew right away that it was a needle that he had to order from Honda for the clutch sensor oil sensor. It seems after the clutch cover upgrade with the extra oil flow the machine will idle down just slightly enough to trip the sensor. Apparently Honda knows about this issue and it's a quick fix that they purposely made a pin to keep the pressure up. Hope this helps

Reactions: elkguide
H

HondaTech

If they forgot either of those Orings on the guide collar is most likely won't even move. The oil can't get to the clutch with those missing. They could've nicked one maybe and cause issues.

I'd look at the fail safe plunger, if it gets stuck it can cause the oil light to come on.

Also that light doesn't necessarily mean low pressure, just abnormal. If it goes away after restarting then doesn't come back on immediately I'd bet on it being the plunger stuck or sticking.

nevadajim

nevadajim

May 30, 2017
Smith Valley, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had this same problem with my 1000-5. The machine was just in for the clutch cover upgrade after this was done the oil light would randomly come on. If you shut the machine off and turn it back off the light goes out. after a short time randomly it would come back on. Took it back to Honda dealer and the mechanic knew right away that it was a needle that he had to order from Honda for the clutch sensor oil sensor. It seems after the clutch cover upgrade with the extra oil flow the machine will idle down just slightly enough to trip the sensor. Apparently Honda knows about this issue and it's a quick fix that they purposely made a pin to keep the pressure up. Hope this helps
Silentx, Thanks for your post! I will share this with the dealer on Tuesday. Big Help. NJ

nevadajim

nevadajim

May 30, 2017
Smith Valley, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If they forgot either of those Orings on the guide collar is most likely won't even move. The oil can't get to the clutch with those missing. They could've nicked one maybe and cause issues.

I'd look at the fail safe plunger, if it gets stuck it can cause the oil light to come on.

Also that light doesn't necessarily mean low pressure, just abnormal. If it goes away after restarting then doesn't come back on immediately I'd bet on it being the plunger stuck or sticking.
HondaTech, This adds more possibilities for a solid fix. I will share it with the dealer tomorrow. Thanks. NJ

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015

Speaking of the devil this is the guy that saved my bacon I was speaking off

Reactions: aprils_fool
K

KenandCen

Apr 12, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2016 P1000-3.
Under load, my Low Oil Pressure Light came on several times, two days in a row. It would go off once I shut it off and restarted.
This is the first real test of the machine after I had the 'clutch kit' installed by the dealer under the Honda "Improvement Campaign".
I took it to the dealer and they could find no low oil pressure light coming on.
Apparently the clutch kit does not come with an 'O' Ring but one might be necessary. Any suggestions?
I had the exact same issue, my 2016 1000 was the first clutch mod my dealer had performed. After I took it home the low pressure light would light up ONLY WHEN THERE ENGINE WAS VERY WARM. If it was cold out, it would take up to an hour of hard riding before it came on. I dealt with Honda directly for many days to get their attention. The end result was the aforementioned "O" ring. My suggestion is to call Honda directly at 866-784-1870 request a "Case Number" on the issue to verify and document that you have driven the SxS with low oil pressure due to the missing "O" ring issue. That way if the motor blows up in a year or two, maybe they will take responsibility for the damage the low oil pressure caused. Let me know if you have any ?'s

nevadajim

nevadajim

May 30, 2017
Smith Valley, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had the exact same issue, my 2016 1000 was the first clutch mod my dealer had performed. After I took it home the low pressure light would light up ONLY WHEN THERE ENGINE WAS VERY WARM. If it was cold out, it would take up to an hour of hard riding before it came on. I dealt with Honda directly for many days to get their attention. The end result was the aforementioned "O" ring. My suggestion is to call Honda directly at 866-784-1870 request a "Case Number" on the issue to verify and document that you have driven the SxS with low oil pressure due to the missing "O" ring issue. That way if the motor blows up in a year or two, maybe they will take responsibility for the damage the low oil pressure caused. Let me know if you have any ?'s
Ken,
Thanks for your post. I have installed a second battery as there are some who solved the problem of the light coming on by using an additional battery. (It was an easy 'fix' since I hand the battery.) I will test it in rough conditions this weekend and see if it does the job. If it doesn't, I will be on the phone to Honda Monday morning and getting a case number as you suggest.

nevadajim

nevadajim

May 30, 2017
Smith Valley, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Silentx, Please post your Dealer's Name and number and who to talk to so I can get this resolved. I took my machine out after the dealer could not find a problem and after an hour or so, the low oil pressure light came back on. I called Honda as KenandCen suggested in his post and received a case number. I was told to take a video of the light the next time it came on and go back to the dealer. My dealer had called the Honda rep and he had no experience with this issue. your dealer would be a big help.
Thanks, Jim Kinninger

nevadajim

nevadajim

May 30, 2017
Smith Valley, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a 2016 P1000-3.
Under load, my Low Oil Pressure Light came on several times, two days in a row. It would go off once I shut it off and restarted.
This is the first real test of the machine after I had the 'clutch kit' installed by the dealer under the Honda "Improvement Campaign".
I took it to the dealer and they could find no low oil pressure light coming on.
Apparently the clutch kit does not come with an 'O' Ring but one might be necessary. Any suggestions?
Finally getting somewhere! Silentx, sent me the name and phone number of his Dealer in Nova Scotia, Canada. (Bridgewater Honda Powerhouse, 877-213-5900, talk to Fred in Service.) This Low Oil Pressure (LOP) light issue comes up after having the factory Honda Clutch Mod. The LOP light will come on after the machine is really warmed up and you come to idle. Apparently the oil pressure drops momentarily and activates the LOP Light. Raising the Oil Pressure with the accelerator does not turn off the light. You have to turn the engine off and re-start it. The Part # is 11332-HL4-000. Referred to as: Orifice Clutch Cover, Part # 2. This can be installed between the Clutch Plate and the Shift Plate. You only need to remove the Shift Plate to install the part. I will post again once my local dealer gets back to me.

Kilo427

Kilo427

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
That part should have come with the clutch update should it not? Its number 2 on this diagram I installed it when I did the clutch update.

Untitled2

Reactions: lee
advertisement
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Mine had that part with the update.

nevadajim

nevadajim

May 30, 2017
Smith Valley, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That part should have come with the clutch update should it not? Its number 2 on this diagram I installed it when I did the clutch update.

View attachment 68011

View attachment 68011
Kilo,
Yes, it should come with the clutch update. I thought I had found the answer but foiled again! I'm thinking an Oil Pressure gauge would be much better than indicator light. Where would I tap into the engine case to get Oil Pressure reading??

Reactions: Smitty335
Kilo427

Kilo427

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Ask snuff I believe there is a blank plug or threaded area he has previously used.

B

Buddy1359

Nov 7, 2020
Sudbury Ontario Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I am experiencing this exact problem. However it has been 2 years since the recall / mod. I only have maybe 3 to 400 miles, and 15 hours.
I maybe out of luck with the dealer, I have just reached out today awaiting a follow up conversation with them. Oil level good light comes on after hard riding or long rides, then restart and all good for a bit. Only happened twice, have been using it mostly for plowing or hauling must get a life lol!!!

S

SteveR

Oct 10, 2021
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So I found my issue, when I did my new clutch install and upgrade, one part that came with mine was a small aluminum pin that came with all the parts. There are many diagrams online as no directions came with all the parts. I happened to be looking at the old diagram before the upgrade. When I did notice the correct diagram, I didn't need to take it all apart to put it in, Just the solenoid cover needs to be pulled back a little bit. I barely lost any oil. took me about 30 minutes. I tried to upload the photos and they are too big so email me directly if I can help with the details. Thanks.

C

chris561

Jul 7, 2021
west palm
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So I found my issue, when I did my new clutch install and upgrade, one part that came with mine was a small aluminum pin that came with all the parts. There are many diagrams online as no directions came with all the parts. I happened to be looking at the old diagram before the upgrade. When I did notice the correct diagram, I didn't need to take it all apart to put it in, Just the solenoid cover needs to be pulled back a little bit. I barely lost any oil. took me about 30 minutes. I tried to upload the photos and they are too big so email me directly if I can help with the details. Thanks.
Can you email me those pictures please. I am having the same issue
[email protected]

C

Chopper115

Apr 5, 2021
Tn
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Can you email me those pictures please. I am having the same issue [email protected]

advertisement