P1000 Low Oil Pressure

nevadajim

nevadajim

May 30, 2017
Smith Valley, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a 2016 P1000-3.
Under load, my Low Oil Pressure Light came on several times, two days in a row. It would go off once I shut it off and restarted.
This is the first real test of the machine after I had the 'clutch kit' installed by the dealer under the Honda "Improvement Campaign".
I took it to the dealer and they could find no low oil pressure light coming on.
Apparently the clutch kit does not come with an 'O' Ring but one might be necessary. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sounds like they forgot to install the o-ring. My dealer told me he was warned by Honda to be sure every step was done in the mod. Sounds like your shop didn't get the word. And yes, DO NOT drive until fixed. It really has low oil pressure, and you'll be the one that pays. I'd try the dealer one more time and then take to another dealer. Get Honda involved. It's a small mistake, with pricey consequences.

• Wow
Reactions: CID and adnoh
nevadajim

nevadajim

May 30, 2017
Smith Valley, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sounds like they forgot to install the o-ring. My dealer told me he was warned by Honda to be sure every step was done in the mod. Sounds like your shop didn't get the word. And yes, DO NOT drive until fixed. It really has low oil pressure, and you'll be the one that pays. I'd try the dealer one more time and then take to another dealer. Get Honda involved. It's a small mistake, with pricey consequences.
Eric, Thanks for your fast reply! I told the dealer about the 'O' ring possibility and they spoke to Honda and told me No 'O' ring was required. I will follow up.

• Wow
Reactions: CID
E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
They're blowing smoke up your ass. Go to a different dealer, tell them the symptoms and let the re-do the mod.

Reactions: adnoh and Plumber32
nevadajim

nevadajim

May 30, 2017
Smith Valley, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
They're blowing smoke up your ass. Go to a different dealer, tell them the symptoms and let the re-do the mod.
The dealer drove the SXS and could not get the light to come on. I told them to put a load on it and still no light. I haven't been able to get to come back on either.

nevadajim

nevadajim

May 30, 2017
Smith Valley, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just saw you are in Sparks. I'm in Smith Valley. Went to Renners Equipment. I'll call Big Valley Honda on Monday.

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Oh my god. I had my tractor in Renner' s Equipment to get the hydraulics fixed. 4 weeks later I got it back with a new leak and a $930 bill stating" that's all they could do at this time". I took it home and found a hydraulic line hanging loose allowing air into the system. I almost bought my P1000 there, but after this experience I'll never step in their shop again. As for Big Valley Honda, I have had nothing but quick professional service. The service rep is straight with you and knowledgeable. I had my clutch mod done there. 4 hours after dropping it off they called to let me know it was being washed and the seat heat kit was done too. My measure of a shop is cleanliness. The shop is organized, clean, and my rig hasn't dripped a single drop of oil on my garage floor since the work.

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Oh, forgot. Big Valley Honda is on winter hours. Closed on Mondays. They are open Saturday for a few hours, service and sales. I'll give you a call tomorrow. Just in case the boss has other plans you can get me on my cell (303)725-3040 Eric

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just saw you are in Sparks. I'm in Smith Valley. Went to Renners Equipment. I'll call Big Valley Honda on Monday.
Ok I got it to come on 1 time while winching out. Now I've got dual battery setup no problem

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Several o rings in the cover update. Check oil level by the book, check all electrical connections around the clutch and make sure battery voltage is good.

advertisement
Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Pretty sure I know which O ring they forgot or knocked when installing probably around the guide collar or forgot the collar itself. It's the piece that is missing that goes behind this bearing. Edges are pretty sharp to so easy to cut one esp if it's reused o ring

Reactions: CID and Plumber32
nevadajim

nevadajim

May 30, 2017
Smith Valley, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Oh my god. I had my tractor in Renner' s Equipment to get the hydraulics fixed. 4 weeks later I got it back with a new leak and a $930 bill stating" that's all they could do at this time". I took it home and found a hydraulic line hanging loose allowing air into the system. I almost bought my P1000 there, but after this experience I'll never step in their shop again. As for Big Valley Honda, I have had nothing but quick professional service. The service rep is straight with you and knowledgeable. I had my clutch mod done there. 4 hours after dropping it off they called to let me know it was being washed and the seat heat kit was done too. My measure of a shop is cleanliness. The shop is organized, clean, and my rig hasn't dripped a single drop of oil on my garage floor since the work.
Small world! I sent you a message with my number. I have no oil drip. Big Valley here I come.

Kilo427

Kilo427

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Several o rings in the cover update. Check oil level by the book, check all electrical connections around the clutch and make sure battery voltage is good.
True those sensors have very small orings on them as well.

nevadajim

nevadajim

May 30, 2017
Smith Valley, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Pretty sure I know which O ring they forgot or knocked when installing probably around the guide collar or forgot the collar itself. It's the piece that is missing that goes behind this bearing. Edges are pretty sharp to so easy to cut one esp if it's reused o ring

View attachment 66214
Can you send a pic of the guide collar? That would be very helpful.

Kilo427

Kilo427

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Where does that attach to the engine?
It goes in this hole behind that bearing this is the cover without the collar installed. Only reason I know that this will cause low oil pressure is a previous Honda tech once forgot that guide as I almost did in install and told me it would never get enough oil pressure. He saved me from making the same mistake

Reactions: pct
nevadajim

nevadajim

May 30, 2017
Smith Valley, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It goes in this hole behind that bearing this is the cover without the collar installed. Only reason I know that this will cause low oil pressure is a previous Honda tech once forgot that guide as I almost did in install and told me it would never get enough oil pressure. He saved me from making the same mistake

View attachment 66217
Thank you, again. Very helpful!

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
As for your clutch, pull up "P1000 Shop Talk", Reset DCT clutch/clutch initialize learning procedure. You won't be fast enough as you read and do procedure. About the fifth time you do it by memory you should be fast enough for the computer to accept your inputs. I took about 7 times before I was fast enough, so don't be discouraged. You will feel the difference on your first shift into drive. Way smoother.

nevadajim

nevadajim

May 30, 2017
Smith Valley, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
As for your clutch, pull up "P1000 Shop Talk", Reset DCT clutch/clutch initialize learning procedure. You won't be fast enough as you read and do procedure. About the fifth time you do it by memory you should be fast enough for the computer to accept your inputs. I took about 7 times before I was fast enough, so don't be discouraged. You will feel the difference on your first shift into drive. Way smoother.
Eric,
Thanks for the call yesterday and the link to the above information. I located it and printed a copy of the 'reset' procedure. I will try it this week. Let me know when you want to explore some of the trails between Smith Valley & Bridgeport, that is when it warns up! LOL
Jim

advertisement