Lets talk Radios again... Pioneer takeover!

Haldog77

Haldog77

NTC's Mafia Enforcer
Lifetime Member
Sep 30, 2019
Bossier City, Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The problem with a CB is that hardly anyone is going to have one on these rides from what I gather, It's a matter of having a radio setup that most everyone is using, a CB would more than likely work fine if everyone had one but a CB operates on a different band,,,, probably the simplest solution for anyone who don't want to spend the time to install or money on the mobile rig would just be to use a hand held they work very well for group communication Your just not going to get out more than maybe a mile or two at best, the other plus is that they are very cheap,,,,,
Roger that. I knew there was a reason for these other radios. Here in Louisiana it is mostly flat, so on a 2000 acre deer lease our CB's work fine. I hope to meet some of the TO fellows one day. I do enjoy reading these posts.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. 1000 6 Crew

3. Talon X

4. Talon R4 LV
Got an SWR meter today, so it's time to start checking my radio setups in the machines. Also going to cut all the coach's to the correct lengths. Also going to do some testing with handhelds using the larger antenna's.
It's all @Ragnar406 fault!!!

J

JTW

Got an SWR meter today, so it's time to start checking my radio setups in the machines. Also going to cut all the coach's to the correct lengths. Also going to do some testing with handhelds using the larger antenna's.
He’s an awesome resource, knows everything about them and loves helping people with radios!!

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Those B-3’s look to be neat little radios, I’m curious what range you get with them and then what difference in range between the antennas?

J

JTW

Those B-3’s look to be neat little radios, I’m curious what range you get with them and then what difference in range between the antennas?
I believe the antennas make a significant difference on the handheld. And while the handhelds have their place, and is what I started with. The wired units are just a lot better system.

Reactions: Tramguage1
HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I believe the antennas make a significant difference on the handheld. And while the handhelds have their place, and is what I started with. The wired units are just a lot better system.

What antenna are you using with the hard wired unit, where did you mount the antenna?

J

JTW

What antenna are you using with the hard wired unit, where did you mount the antenna?
This one... https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IDTJ2KE?tag=sxsweb24-20

On a mount I made, here...but have since flipped upside down.
9FC4B114 0CF3 48BC A5ED D4E080DE414E

but @RB3offroad now makes a mount for this.

And I use this radio mounted here on my sound bar..
https://www.amazon.com/MD-2017-Dual-Handheld-Radio-Waterproof/dp/B07P7MXYW2/?tag=sxsweb24-20
B4D011F9 4E3E 448A AEED BB68D22EFB27

Reactions: HondaRed16
HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
advertisement
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks much man.

Have y’all ever tried to figure what kind of distance you get with them?
Depends on terrain

very much dependent on line of sight . If you are at the top of a hill/ mountain... anyone within your line of sight can hear you if listening - that could be 40 miles mountain top to mountain top. If you are in a valley.- possibly only someone in the valley or on the mountain top can hear you. In the desert you can talk at a greater distance as well.

Reactions: JTW and TripleB
J

JTW

very much dependent on line of sight . If you are at the top of a hill/ mountain... anyone within your line of sight can hear you if listening - that could be 40 miles mountain top to mountain top. If you are in a valley.- possibly only someone in the valley or on the mountain top can hear you. In the desert you can talk at a greater distance as well.
See... he’s a radio guru there to answer ALL questions!!

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
LOL, you guys are killing me, I think you can tell by my post I’m a HAM radio guy; I realize it’s kind of a stupid question.
But I’m looking for some kind of performance review on this particular setup/radio y’all are using. It also depends on if you’re on VHF or UHF.
Let’s go with 2 setups the same in the forest without a large hill/mountain and also with?

Also have any of you played with making one a repeater? I suspect not with a mixed crowed with novice users.

J

JTW

LOL, you guys are killing me, I think you can tell by my post I’m a HAM radio guy; I realize it’s kind of a stupid question.
But I’m looking for some kind of performance review on this particular setup/radio y’all are using. It also depends on if you’re on VHF or UHF.
Let’s go with 2 setups the same in the forest without a large hill/mountain and also with?

Also have any of you played with making one a repeater? I suspect not with a mixed crowed with novice users.
Go for it.. and we’re using uhf. As for performance review. It f***ing works... and works well. And it’s cheap!!

Reactions: TripleB
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Distance is going to be like any Ham radio transmission on UHF or VHF. the GRMS frequency are in the UHF spectrum and while VHF is actually better for wooded areas Could use MURS frequencies or some proprietary frequencies but majority of people are transmitting on GRMS freq. There is no set answer it is all going to depend on variables like line of sight, structures/material in the way etc. they type system, power and antenna setup play apart in as well.

I don't think the mileage below is typical but I think in a best case scenario it might be the max you could hope to expect
more like Obstructed 1-3 miles

Upload 2020 1 21 10 31 33

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know using my mobile I was at the TA gas station off exit 14 (near RRB) and talked to @ohanacreek who was at slick rock - about 2.5 Miles away as crow flies but again when i moved even 5 ft - we could not reach each other, one of us move another foot and we could speak to each other. Pretty sure I could talk to him all the way up to dragons back but i am sure of the other distance.

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5

That's a pretty complete list!!!
Thank you :)

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Wise Men Still Seek "Him"
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
when I put my TH8600 together with a small 1/4 wave antenna mounted to back side of roll bar, finished it all up and I still hit a repeater in Dayton about 20 miles away setting in the shop a metal building,,,,

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Is there a good site where channels/freqs are listed for different local repeaters? Also, is there any harm in tuning in to listen? I really just want to see what it will pick up from my house. I found some that are relatively close on RepeaterBook.com but have no clue what I'm doing...

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Wise Men Still Seek "Him"
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Is there a good site where channels/freqs are listed for different local repeaters? Also, is there any harm in tuning in to listen? I really just want to see what it will pick up from my house. I found some that are relatively close on RepeaterBook.com but have no clue what I'm doing...
there is an app called I believe Repeater Book just put in Your area and it will give You repeaters in that area or You can look up areas as well, there is nothing wrong with listening just transmitting, when You call up a repeater You usually have to put in a shift plus or minus and a tone,,,,

advertisement