1. 1000-3
Flhoghunter

Flhoghunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
To everyone who wants more information. My email is [email protected]. I have 4 stages of tunes. I can make a tune for 87 but it’s pointless. You will not see any real changes other than my transmission tuning which that i promise is nothing like anything on the market. But in order to make any real difference in engine power besides trans tuning i have to change timing and fuel that’s impossible with 87 octane. All four tunes are $100 per tune depending on the type of riding you do I’d recommend one or multiple. Stage 1 is best on fuel best for casual trail rides. Stage two is slightly more aggressive in clutch engagement and fuel/timing. Stage 3 and 4 are same fueling/Timing but 4 has much stronger clutch engagement for dead mud not designed for harder surfaces clutches will engage hard. Stage three has the same power but smoother take off and shifts but still very firm.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
To everyone who wants more information. My email is [email protected]. I have 4 stages of tunes. I can make a tune for 87 but it’s pointless. You will not see any real changes other than my transmission tuning which that i promise is nothing like anything on the market. But in order to make any real difference in engine power besides trans tuning i have to change timing and fuel that’s impossible with 87 octane. All four tunes are $100 per tune depending on the type of riding you do I’d recommend one or multiple. Stage 1 is best on fuel best for casual trail rides. Stage two is slightly more aggressive in clutch engagement and fuel/timing. Stage 3 and 4 are same fueling/Timing but 4 has much stronger clutch engagement for dead mud not designed for harder surfaces clutches will engage hard. Stage three has the same power but smoother take off and shifts but still very firm.
I run a lot of pavement and hard packed gravel roads so I'm thinking the stage 3 sounds best for me. I want it to be more aggressive but I don't want to break stuff.

Reactions: TI722
Flhoghunter

Flhoghunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I run a lot of pavement and hard packed gravel roads so I'm thinking the stage 3 sounds best for me. I want it to be more aggressive but I don't want to break stuff.
Yes i agree!

Reactions: ehart814
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I'
Yes i agree!
I'll probably be contacting you closer to spring time to get it ordered. I don't ride much in the winter other than just plowing snow.

Flhoghunter

Flhoghunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'

I'll probably be contacting you closer to spring time to get it ordered. I don't ride much in the winter other than just plowing snow.
Sounds good. Let me know when you’re ready.

Justinp1-5

Justinp1-5

Aug 18, 2019
Central florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sk I ran the hess tune hard, I have decided that with the 35s I still need more gear reduction. It helped a lot with the heat though. Seems to help a lot with mid to high range power, helped on the bottom end too. I have tuned a few gas trucks, so I had a good idea what to expect. It was more than i expected but a little less than i needed, it helped so much with reverse that alone makes it worth the money if you ever have to back out of a hole. While it's not the saving grace I needed, it was still mo eye well wasted. While it still bugs pretty bad in sticky mud it will atleast keep them turning. Never the less, 6" portals with 45% reduction is in the very near future for my rig

Flhoghunter

Flhoghunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I build tunes as well and yes 35’s and no gear reduction is to much. I have Hess it wasn’t enough for me and COPS was out of the question they’re just assholes. So i had enough started building myself. I’m on Facebook Florida Cracker Performance Tuning.

Reactions: TripleB
jjkacz

jjkacz

Nov 17, 2020
Nashville, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I build tunes as well and yes 35’s and no gear reduction is to much. I have Hess it wasn’t enough for me and COPS was out of the question they’re just assholes. So i had enough started building myself. I’m on Facebook Florida Cracker Performance Tuning.

With your tunes, does it run cooler like COPS claim theirs does? If so, what is being tweaked in the tune to make it run cooler than stock? Thanks!

advertisement
Flhoghunter

Flhoghunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
With your tunes, does it run cooler like COPS claim theirs does? If so, what is being tweaked in the tune to make it run cooler than stock? Thanks!
Yes this is done by two ways. One lowered fan temps and by adding fuel and timing it lowers cylinder and exhaust temps. Do to this you really should use premium fuel.

Reactions: jjkacz and TripleB
Justinp1-5

Justinp1-5

Aug 18, 2019
Central florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
35s are too much for the 4" portals at 30%, but it depends on how you ride too. I would consider your tune flhoghunter, how much u charge for it?

aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Scott charges $100 a tune and he offers four tunes. I am running 38’s with only 30% portals (actually 41%) and can dig them to the frame or get traction and climb out of anything. I was on the COPs tune but helped Scott develop his tune and now run it. We have two machines with same setup except few performance upgrades to the red one. We neither liked the Hess tune at all. Helped a little low end but nothing like these other guys tunes.
And all we do is mud
B97FCA02 0013 4283 912F 104F4AF7BF43

Flhoghunter

Flhoghunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
35s are too much for the 4" portals at 30%, but it depends on how you ride too. I would consider your tune flhoghunter, how much u charge for it?
You need a Dynojet PV3 I’m not a dealer. They run $399 then i charge $100 per tune or 4 for $350. 4 different stages.
stage 1 trail
Stage 2 Hot trail
Stage 3 Mud and Sand
Stage 4 Tough mudder

Reactions: TripleB
Justinp1-5

Justinp1-5

Aug 18, 2019
Central florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So.... with the tune and 6" portals at 45% it'll pull both tires off the ground. Not the least bit like it was with the 4s, but it seems happier. May see if hess will tinker with the tune a little but I think I'll be happy with it, true test next weekend

Reactions: Lady01 and TripleB
AZRocks

AZRocks

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Squirted and tested the Hess tune this morning. 91 octane, level asphalt, 50 degrees, turf mode, warmed up to 2 bars, no WOT warm up runs--squirt and straight into 5 runs each, 0 - 40 mph: 2 in Sport mode; 2 in A/T mode; and a final run again in Sport mode. I used a stop watch which seemed fairly easy/accurate - has to be better than a smart phone app.

Stock: Sport mode - 7.31, 7.10, 7.00; A/T - 7.00, 6.87
Hess: Sport mode - 6.88, 6.94, 6.90; A/T - 6.78, 6.71

Stock average: Sport mode - 7.14; A/T - 6.94
Hess average: Sport mode - 6.91; A/T - 6.75

Hess was about 3% quicker and 30 degrees cooler at the hottest part of the muffler between the bolts on the exhaust port flange, using an IR thermometer. Hess shifting was firmer and I definitely like the shift pattern for my trail riding style. Down shifts were a little more aggressive, which I like.

The machine ran great and the Hess tune will definitely do. Regular A/T mode was quicker . . .hmm. My P1K5 is 2100 wet with +10# per corner over OEM wheels/tires. I suspect I'll try another PV3 tune sometime soon. I know of the COPS and FLHoghunter options for trail riding . I am not interested in pushing the envelope and damaging the motor. Like everyone, I am intersted in a lower low range, but that's a different thread.

Last edited:
advertisement