P1000 I've decided to wait.

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Just do whatever you want to do. No sense arguing with people you don't even know about what you should do with your own money. Same for YardDog.
I'm not sure i know what you mean. I dont think anyone is arguing, and how do you know I dont know what I know?

I can't be the only one here wondering what might happen to the resale value if there is never a fix for our clutches. If you have to get swaps done every several hundred miles what are you gonna do when the warranty is up? I think it's a 200 dollar bill for new clutches. That would suck, and if someone was looking to buy, why would they get the 2016 when the 2017 is fixed? If I was buying, I would just get the 2017 with the updated clutch kit, or whatever magic they did. I don't think any of us want 2016 to be the infamous year of pioneers.

Why does it seem nobody is allowed to talk about these things? Nobody is forcing anyone to read these threads or respond to them. Dude said he was gonna wait and see. That's fine with me. I just figured I would add some content to the discussion that was brought up.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1BadDart
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'm not sure i know what you mean. I dont think anyone is arguing, and how do you know I dont know what I know?

I can't be the only one here wondering what might happen to the resale value if there is never a fix for our clutches. If you have to get swaps done every several hundred miles what are you gonna do when the warranty is up? I think it's a 200 dollar bill for new clutches. That would suck, and if someone was looking to buy, why would they get the 2016 when the 2017 is fixed? If I was buying, I would just get the 2017 with the updated clutch kit, or whatever magic they did. I don't think any of us want 2016 to be the infamous year of pioneers.

Why does it seem nobody is allowed to talk about these things? Nobody is forcing anyone to read these threads or respond to them. Dude said he was gonna wait and see. That's fine with me. I just figured I would add some content to the discussion that was brought up.

I have no problem with you discussing anything. I've just seen a lot of complaints here from people over it. That's why I said just do what you want and think is best for you. I didn't mean any harm. ;)

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5

This place would pretty boring if we didn't have clutch plates to b**** about..:cool:

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

I don't think all the 16's have / had problems, the unit I test drove was quiet while shifting , the unit I got was REAL loud. After getting mine back after a week at the shop it was / is quiet and has a lot more positive shift. They replaced both clutch assemblies and chamfered the oil relief valves. I believe Chamfering the valves made a HUGE difference / fix. I would have gladly left it there for a month, with the results I have. Honda Tec?????

Reactions: AZhunter and JTW
txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't think all the 16's have / had problems, the unit I test drove was quiet while shifting , the unit I got was REAL loud. After getting mine back after a week at the shop it was / is quiet and has a lot more positive shift. They replaced both clutch assemblies and chamfered the oil relief valves. I believe Chamfering the valves made a HUGE difference / fix. I would have gladly left it there for a month, with the results I have. Honda Tec?????

ShearerPerformance

ShearerPerformance

Vendor
Jan 26, 2017
Space Coast FL
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-3
It's crazy how the internet has managed to take a small percentage of people having problems, and make it seem like it's the majority. Not only on this issue, or this bike. But in general. Just remember, people are much more inclined to post about something they are unhappy with, rather than post just because something was as described. I love my P1K and my P700. The 700 is a tank and probably won't ever die, but it's not near as fun as my 1k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZhunter

AZhunter

Jan 26, 2017
Peoria, Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@YardDog Best of luck; you'll find something you're comfortable with.

From what I've been able to gather, all of the major brands have issues. Most everyone I know has a Ranger and all of them know the repair guys. A few too many "turf-mode blowing up the differential with no warranty support", "catching fire", "electrical harness chafing through causing various intermittent issues with no warranty support", etc stories steered me away from PoPo.

P1K runs like a scalded dog and I believe it'll continue to. If I happen to fall into the ~3% or so that have clutch issues, I'll deal with it then. Until then, I'm going to use it like I've used all my other gear.
Actually According to the poll on this forum the failure rate is running around 9%. Too many failures for the Honda brand.

lrandy129

lrandy129

Curmudgeon
Lifetime Member
Nov 4, 2016
NELA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Actually According to the poll on this forum the failure rate is running around 9%. Too many failures for the Honda brand.
10 people with failures on this forum's poll, about 3% nationwide someone posted. Only 10 people with issues isn't concerning to me. 3% nationally (if that's the right number) is a big number, but still not concerning to me.

AZhunter

AZhunter

Jan 26, 2017
Peoria, Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
10 people with failures on this forum's poll, about 3% nationwide someone posted. Only 10 people with issues isn't concerning to me. 3% nationally (if that's the right number) is a big number, but still not concerning to me.
I've spoke with American Honda and the clutch failures are very concerning to them. I have been wanting to buy a SxS for a long, long time now. Then came the pioneer 1000-5. I was concerned about it being a first year model, but thought, its ok, its a very well engineered HONDA! I bought my 1000-5 camo in Nov 2016. I then found out about the HEAT/STEAM issue (live in the Arizona desert and have the Honda glass windshield and roof which compounds the issue), the CLUTCH issue, the MANY RATTLES issue, the HIGH GEARING in low range issue, the high gearing in REVERSE issue, the LOUD CLUNKING when it shifts issue, and a few other minor issues. All of which I'm sure Honda will correct in upcoming model years. If they correct the HEAT/STEAM issue in my Honda (they have told me they will) and replace my clutch if it fails (they have told me they will), fix the LOUD shift clunking (Dealer will look at this next week and hopefully fix it) then I will be very happy with my new Honda. It is powerful and otherwise fun to drive. However, if I would have known about all these issues, I would have waited a couple more model years to buy my Honda.

advertisement
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Right with you.

As it sits as of this post there are 6279 members of this forum. If it were a high percentage failure for the clutches, we would be hearing about it from more than 10 people. When something fails on this costly of a tool/toy people(myself included) don't like it and tend to vocalize their dissatisfaction, or fear. Can they fail, yes. Do they fail often? Looking at the numbers, it doesn't seem so. I would not have bought a 16' if I thought the clutch was going to fail in the first 400miles.

From my position as "armchair engineer" much like an armchair quarterback I am not qualified to have the actual engineers job.
I based my decision to buy a 16' on the following opinion that I formed myself.

The following is MY personal opinion:
In my opinion, and my opinion alone. It seems like there are a few reasons why they fail: low voltage issues, incorrect oil, possibly a production issue, and driver error. The clutch solenoid requires a certain voltage to operate correctly( I installed a deep cycle battery with almost four times the energy capacity as the factory, isolated it from the main system, and connected all my accessories to it), the correct oil and break in procedures should be followed, new machines are far more technical than a 70's small block and a powerglide, follow the damn directions in the manual. Production issue, theory, no proof, if there is any, Honda is keeping Schrödingers cat in the box. Driver error, no one wants to admit this, especially on a forum where Honda might find out you messed up, this is not a CVT or even an automatic like the 700, it is a computer controlled manual transmission. Just like a 3 on the tree, you put yourself in a situation where the clutch slips and you're gonna burn it up, fairly quickly.

3% is an average failure rate, not normal for Honda but average. We had a project recently where there was 783 of the exact same product being installed, about 5% of them were DOA. Manufacturer actually sent a few extras and then exchanged all of the DOAs. Manufacturing is not perfect, assembly lines are mind numbing, people get tired, even robots fail. Perfect example, my winch contactor was bad out of the box, I had to get a replacement.

In my mind I (personally) hold Honda to a much higher standard, longterm reliability is the main thing their brand is built on. The reliability and customer service I have received in the past with all my Honda products is why I think twice or have no alternative purchasing outside the brand.

I also make informed decisions, a dealer is not going to tell you (shocks are lacking for more than bunny trail riding, the seat gets warmer than you might like, 3% of the machine have had clutch issues, he wants to sell that machine). Nothing is perfect, nothing is perfect for everyone. Own something you bought/built as "perfect" long enough and you will find an issue with it, however much of a first world problem it may be. ( I wish we had put a half bath on the second floor so I didn't have to go downstairs or use the kids bathroom, when I am working in my office. First world problem, I have several bathrooms to choose from.)

Pre-planning and research was why I was able to get my build 90% done in 20hours of assembly work, I had dug up as much information as I could find and planned out what I was going to do and why. I had all the instructions printed from Hondas accessory site and various manufactures sites. All the digging had been done well in advance, all I had to do was the easy stuff, assembly. What I had not planned on was suspension parts being back ordered for 2 months. I could have figured 95% of it out with out instructions, but I would not have been done with assembly in 20hrs if I'd spent 20hrs figuring. Take my man card for reading instructions, I wanted to be done quickly and correctly.

Edit: Reverse is too high.

Last edited:
skidooby

skidooby

Lifetime Member
Feb 20, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Right with you.

As it sits as of this post there are 6279 members of this forum. If it were a high percentage failure for the clutches, we would be hearing about it from more than 10 people. When something fails on this costly of a tool/toy people(myself included) don't like it and tend to vocalize their dissatisfaction, or fear. Can they fail, yes. Do they fail often? Looking at the numbers, it doesn't seem so. I would not have bought a 16' if I thought the clutch was going to fail in the first 400miles.

From my position as "armchair engineer" much like an armchair quarterback I am not qualified to have the actual engineers job.

In my opinion, and my opinion alone. It seems like there are a few reasons why they fail: low voltage issues, incorrect oil, possibly a production issue, and driver error. The clutch solenoid requires a certain voltage to operate correctly( I installed a deep cycle battery with almost four times the energy capacity as the factory, isolated it from the main system, and connected all my accessories to it), the correct oil and break in procedures should be followed, new machines are far more technical than a 70's small block and a powerglide, follow the damn directions in the manual. Production issue, theory, no proof, if there is any, Honda is keeping Schrödingers cat in the box. Driver error, no one wants to admit this, especially on a forum where Honda might find out you messed up, this is not a CVT or even an automatic like the 700, it is a computer controlled manual transmission. Just like a 3 on the tree, you put yourself in a situation where the clutch slips and you're gonna burn it up, fairly quickly.

3% is an average failure rate, not normal for Honda but average. We had a project recently where there was 783 of the exact same product being installed, about 5% of them were DOA. Manufacturer actually sent a few extras and then exchanged all of the DOAs. Manufacturing is not perfect, assembly lines are mind numbing, people get tired, even robots fail. Perfect example, my winch contactor was bad out of the box, I had to get a replacement.

In my mind I (personally) hold Honda to a much higher standard, longterm reliability is the main thing their brand is built on. The reliability and customer service I have received in the past with all my Honda products is why I think twice or have no alternative purchasing outside the brand.

I also make informed decisions, a dealer is not going to tell you (shocks are lacking for more than bunny trail riding, the seat gets warmer than you might like, 3% of the machine have had clutch issues, he wants to sell that machine). Nothing is perfect, nothing is perfect for everyone. Own something you bought/built as "perfect" long enough and you will find an issue with it, however much of a first world problem it may be. ( I wish we had put a half bath on the second floor so I didn't have to go downstairs or use the kids bathroom, when I am working in my office. First world problem, I have several bathrooms to choose from.)

Pre-planning and research was why I was able to get my build 90% done in 20hours of assembly work, I had dug up as much information as I could find and planned out what I was going to do and why. I had all the instructions printed from Hondas accessory site and various manufactures sites. All the digging had been done well in advance, all I had to do was the easy stuff, assembly. What I had not planned on was suspension parts being back ordered for 2 months. I could have figured 95% of it out with out instructions, but I would not have been done with assembly in 20hrs if I'd spent 20hrs figuring. Take my man card for reading instructions, I wanted to be done quickly and correctly.

I look at it like this.....with my Skidoo 800 etech snowmobile, there were LOTS of complaints of the rings being cheap and flaking off....dependability, yada yada....I bought one anyway BECAUSE, the ones that have the problems are the ones on the forums griping, often and loudly. The way higher numbers of people with zero issues are not online bragging about how they aren't having problems, they are out enjoying their machine. So, with that mindset, I bought the P1K5 and plan to enjoy it...for 820 bucks, I also got the Honda bumper to bumper warranty. I figure that between recalls and warranty, if there is a problem in 4 years, yo I'll find it :D

Everyone's experience WILL be different, I like to not live my life based on someone elses experience. Hey I love peanut butter and bologna sandwiches, but my wife thinks they are horrible.....why would I not eat them based on her liking them?

AZhunter

AZhunter

Jan 26, 2017
Peoria, Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Right with you.

YOU had a man card?! LOL! just kidding! Take it easy Einstein I'm just agreeing with 'Yard dog' about the decision to wait. Jeez! I like Hondas too, relax. Now for the important stuff, how do I post a pic of my near perfect Honda (am I making you proud!) above my member name in the upper left corner? Thanks. BTW, can I get a "like"

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
YOU had a man card?! LOL! just kidding! Take it easy Einstein I'm just agreeing with 'Yard dog' about the decision to wait. Jeez! I like Hondas too, relax. Now for the important stuff, how do I post a pic of my near perfect Honda (am I making you proud!) above my member name in the upper left corner? Thanks. BTW, can I get a "like"

Haha, got my cat joke did ya. Flu's got me grumpy, haven't been able to play with my brand new imperfect Honda.

Need to use the website and you can change it under your "avatar" on the menu bar.

Next to the 2 in this pic, click whatever is showing for you and then select "avatar" from drop down.

602fbac38bbba8828bc589d421f44e25

Reactions: AZhunter
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I look at it like this.....with my Skidoo 800 etech snowmobile, there were LOTS of complaints of the rings being cheap and flaking off....dependability, yada yada....I bought one anyway BECAUSE, the ones that have the problems are the ones on the forums griping, often and loudly. The way higher numbers of people with zero issues are not online bragging about how they aren't having problems, they are out enjoying their machine. So, with that mindset, I bought the P1K5 and plan to enjoy it...for 820 bucks, I also got the Honda bumper to bumper warranty. I figure that between recalls and warranty, if there is a problem in 4 years, yo I'll find it :D

Everyone's experience WILL be different, I like to not live my life based on someone elses experience. Hey I love peanut butter and bologna sandwiches, but my wife thinks they are horrible.....why would I not eat them based on her liking them?

Smart woman that sounds nasty.

AZhunter

AZhunter

Jan 26, 2017
Peoria, Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Yours came with TWO bumpers!, or is that their loophole in the "bumper to bumper" warranty? Anyway, I'd listen to your wife, you're lucky, you married up!

Reactions: JTW and skidooby
AZhunter

AZhunter

Jan 26, 2017
Peoria, Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Haha, got my cat joke did ya. Flu's got me grumpy, haven't been able to play with my brand new imperfect Honda.

Need to use the website and you can change it under your "avatar" on the menu bar.

Next to the 2 in this pic, click whatever is showing for you and then select "avatar" from drop down.

602fbac38bbba8828bc589d421f44e25
Thank you Ohanacreek!

Reactions: ohanacreek
advertisement