P1000 Hot seat question

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have read several posts about cab/seat heat. I don't have a way to find this out for myself since no one I know has a P1000 for me to check.

Does anyone have any data from a laser thermometer or something on a stock seat? Maybe on the front next to the passengers legs and where the seat cushions meet.

The reason that I am asking is that my wife will be the one sitting over there most of the time. I have told her about the heat and she is a little wary of that. However, she does ride a Honda Recon a lot in the summer and it is air cooled with radiator fins right next to your calves and hasn't complained. If it is similar or less, I don't think it will be a problem for her since we won't be riding with a windshield except in the winter or if we had to ride in the rain for some reason. I can get readings off the recon with my thermometer tomorrow, assuming it isn't raining. It will only take a few trips up and down the hill in the back yard to get it pretty warm. :)

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
L
I have read several posts about cab/seat heat. I don't have a way to find this out for myself since no one I know has a P1000 for me to check.

Does anyone have any data from a laser thermometer or something on a stock seat? Maybe on the front next to the passengers legs and where the seat cushions meet.

The reason that I am asking is that my wife will be the one sitting over there most of the time. I have told her about the heat and she is a little wary of that. However, she does ride a Honda Recon a lot in the summer and it is air cooled with radiator fins right next to your calves and hasn't complained. If it is similar or less, I don't think it will be a problem for her since we won't be riding with a windshield except in the winter or if we had to ride in the rain for some reason. I can get readings off the recon with my thermometer tomorrow, assuming it isn't raining. It will only take a few trips up and down the hill in the back yard to get it pretty warm. :)
no but the leg area doesn't get hot mainly just the back of the seat bottom. Heat and steam comes up threw the crack. It gets hot enough to be uncomfortable.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK

We took ours out today, and my wife wasn't thrilled with the seat heat. She hadn't ridden with me since its warmed up here. No temp readings, but the problem is exacerbated when you run through water and get that steam up the back of your shirt! I'll try to source a laser temp reader from work and get back to you.

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5

There is a thread on here where someone laser temped the plastic between the upper and lower seat. Sorry don't remember the member or thread.but I know it's here. Lot of help I am ..lol

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
There is a thread on here where someone laser temped the plastic between the upper and lower seat. Sorry don't remember the member or thread.but I know it's here. Lot of help I am ..lol

I can try and find it, I don't have any Recon temps to share either. :)

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
We took ours out today, and my wife wasn't thrilled with the seat heat. She hadn't ridden with me since its warmed up here. No temp readings, but the problem is exacerbated when you run through water and get that steam up the back of your shirt! I'll try to source a laser temp reader from work and get back to you.

What types of accessories are you running? Windshield, Roof, Hard Back, Full skids, etc?

I have read some posts that postulate that the vacuum/low pressure area caused by the partially enclosed cab could be exacerbating the heat and that by equalizing the pressure, most of it could be eliminated.

Were you going slow or fast?

Sorry to give you the 3rd degree.

Bad pun, BAD!

Reactions: Everett
Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
Haha no worries! I have a hard top, soft rear panel, and split windscreen. Trail was rocky and rough, so mostly under 20 mph. No real breeze either. Once we got down to the beach and could get the air moving it wasn't as much of a problem. My wife was mostly concerned because her camera bag was in the middle seat between us. And she didn't want to overheat it. Dust and bumps would cause more damage to the camera than the heat though in my opinion. Then again she's the photographer not me haha

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I was using an IR thermometer.
That piece of plastic next to the passenger's rear was up to 135. By the calfs 85. Thats full windshield, hard roof, hard mid panel.

Insulating that piece of plastic brought it down to 100.
A bilge in the engine compartment cooled everything and the @$$ heat was down to 85.
I forgot what the calf heat measured but it was barely warm.

Then I took the windshield off for the summer and have no heat problems.

This thread has some ideas P1000 - hot seat

I like my setup now. No windsheild in summer. Wind in you face and no vacuum to suck heat.
In spring/fall with the windshield the bilge fan can control heat on a hot day. On a cold winter day that extra heat feels nice.

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
What types of accessories are you running? Windshield, Roof, Hard Back, Full skids, etc?

I have read some posts that postulate that the vacuum/low pressure area caused by the partially enclosed cab could be exacerbating the heat and that by equalizing the pressure, most of it could be eliminated.

Were you going slow or fast?

Sorry to give you the 3rd degree.

Bad pun, BAD!

Mine gets bad when I'm going fast. High rpms and then hot air blows under the seat like a heater.

advertisement
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I was using an IR thermometer.
That piece of plastic next to the passenger's rear was up to 135. By the calfs 85. Thats full windshield, hard roof, hard mid panel.

Insulating that piece of plastic brought it down to 100.
A bilge in the engine compartment cooled everything and the @$$ heat was down to 85.
I forgot what the calf heat measured but it was barely warm.

Then I took the windshield off for the summer and have no heat problems.

This thread has some ideas P1000 - hot seat

I like my setup now. No windsheild in summer. Wind in you face and no vacuum to suck heat.
In spring/fall with the windshield the bilge fan can control heat on a hot day. On a cold winter day that extra heat feels nice.

Cool, thanks! (Oops, another pun)

I just did the experiment on my wife's Recon.

Ambient temp around 78 degrees with little to no breeze.

Readings on the Recon after sitting in the garage overnight was right around 76 +/- 2 degrees.

I then took it down the road for roughly 2 miles and then went up and down the quite steep hill in my back yard 10 times in first gear using engine braking and trying to keep it around 3 MPH. It was noticeably hot on my bare legs, warm enough that I sat kind of bow legged. Afterwards I parked it back in the garage and kept the motor running while I checked the temps.

Here is what I got:

The top of the left hand radiator was 245 degrees
The top oft he right hand radiator was 254 degrees (exhaust comes out on the right side)
The exhaust shield on the right side was 140 degrees
The body molding plastic just above the exhaust, where my legs often "clamp" when going through rough patches was 105 degrees.
The seat, just above that was 90 degrees
The muffler tip was 180 degrees

It was starting to get uncomfortable for me, in shorts, I was worried about burning my legs but I wasn't to the point that I was going to get off. I am sure if I had started going faster and got some air moving around it, it would have been better.

She never complains about the heat on the Recon so maybe the Pioneer won't be so bad. I would potentially be driving in similar conditions with the Pioneer. My farm/hunting property has lots of hills and slow riding portions and using it in my back yard would be similar. Very steep hills going slow.

From the lake looking up, with some dog butt.

Upload 2016 5 30 10 28 20

Side hill camber view

Upload 2016 5 30 10 29 33

Steeper than it looks in the picture. Especially right behind the deck.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
No cab or windshield. I notice the heat in hot weather. I may install a 12 V fan in the center below the seat. I did it on my Big Red for riding in 90 to 100 degree weather. It worked great and I used a small Honda radiator fan but can't remember what model it was from.

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
No cab or windshield. I notice the heat in hot weather. I may install a 12 V fan in the center below the seat. I did it on my Big Red for riding in 90 to 100 degree weather. It worked great and I used a small Honda radiator fan but can't remember what model it was from.

In what configuration?

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I installed it in the center front below the seat. I will post pictures. It keeps the hot air cleared out and it worked great on the Big Red in 100 degree weather. On the plastic above the engine I got 152 degrees today on a long slow section doing 4 to 12 mph. I also felt the hot air coming through the shifter area.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
What if you put the fan in a place where it pulled heat from the engine compartment? Then you would have a vacuum under the seat, there may be a benefit there vs blowing directly on the engine.

Sent from my iPad 7G

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I researching other options, I did read where Kawasaki was doing something similar on the Teryx from the factory because of engine heat in some model years at least. I think they stopped at some point though after changing some other interior features and adding additional insulation. I didn't pursue it further though because I was more interest in the 2016 model year stuff.

So there is a factory precedent.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

Readings on the Recon after sitting in the garage overnight was right around 76 +/- 2 degrees.

I then took it down the road for roughly 2 miles and then went up and down the quite steep hill in my back yard 10 times in first gear using engine braking and trying to keep it around 3 MPH. It was noticeably hot on my bare legs, warm enough that I sat kind of bow legged. Afterwards I parked it back in the garage and kept the motor running while I checked the temps.

Here is what I got:

The top oft he right hand radiator was 254 degrees (exhaust comes out on the right side)
The body molding plastic just above the exhaust, where my legs often "clamp" when going through rough patches was 105 degrees.

It was starting to get uncomfortable for me, in shorts, I was worried about burning my legs but I wasn't to the point that I was going to get off. I am sure if I had started going faster and got some air moving around it, it would have been better.

She never complains about the heat on the Recon so maybe the Pioneer won't be so bad. I would potentially be driving in similar conditions with the Pioneer. My farm/hunting property has lots of hills and slow riding portions and using it in my back yard would be similar. Very steep hills going slow.

View attachment 16065

Side hill camber view

View attachment 16066

I may not always agree with you on everything but I sure love how well you analyze things so well. You're a thinker and a research things well. I admire that and something that is great for this place. Off subject I know but beautiful homestead!

BIGRACK

BIGRACK

Jan 22, 2016
Dayton Tenn

Here is what I got:

View attachment 16065

Side hill camber view

View attachment 16066

I cut some pieces of Armour flex black rubber type insulation and placed in gap between seat and back rest section ( the plastic section that gets so hot and seat belt attachment area) seems to work pretty good. I put the silver insulation under seat also. I placed a section of 1 1/2 inch Armour flex pipe insulation between bed and back of seats I will try to get pics on here . I am leaving for Royal Blue in the morning should give seat a good test. I know the section I put on front of bed works great. This insulation is about 3/4 to 1 inch thick similar to roll bar padding.

advertisement