P1000 High low transmission setting?

DDGrouser

DDGrouser

May 9, 2021
Other
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Have a 21 P1K3 setup with a dual dog crate. We run logging roads in search of game. Wondering about the transmission and having to run in low at slow speeds? Is this all the time at slow speeds or just in mud or hill climbing. I have to drive slow on the roads to keep the dogs from bouncing off the ceiling of the kennel.

Question is, at slow speeds 20 and under on flat surfaces do I need to be in low. Find it very hard to run smoothly in low. High works so much better for what I’m doing.

5188E56C CF2F 4EEC 9AAD 9939CADB931A 315F2242 F56F 454B 81F8 52BFEC7B8F1D

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Although I prefer running in Low when I'll be under 20, I understand your point. The simple 'test' for whether you need to be in Low - when you're chugging along in High, paddle down, if there's another gear 'down there' you were just fine in High. If there isn't another gear below what you're running, you probably should have been in Low. And ... if you're on flat ground, I don't see any reason you'd need to be in Low (says the Talon owner 😊).

TexasJackKin

TexasJackKin

Nov 22, 2020
Dayton, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I normally run in high, I like the "softer torque" I get in high. I do shift to low, for climbing what the grand kids call "basically a vertical cliff" as I don't want to get halfway up and THEN find out I should have been in low..... it's interesting that people running in the 20MPH range run in low...

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Its all a preference. High is smoother for sure. Back in the old days (16’) 🤣 Before the clutch update witch is now std on all P1 models, u were better off running in low at low speeds so u didnt F up the clutches Just ask CP lol.
then when the clutch update came along all was good in High Low land. That said, i only use low now when Im hauling something heavy say, tugging a huge log, shrub where low range should be used. In your case if it were me, id be in high range!
Nice set up and good looking Short hairs you got!

DDGrouser

DDGrouser

May 9, 2021
Other
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Its all a preference. High is smoother for sure. Back in the old days (16’) 🤣 Before the clutch update witch is now std on all P1 models, u were better off running in low at low speeds so u didnt F up the clutches Just ask CP lol.
then when the clutch update came along all was good in High Low land. That said, i only use low now when Im hauling something heavy say, tugging a huge log, shrub where low range should be used. In your case if it were me, id be in high range!
Nice set up and good looking Short hairs you got!
Thanks man, I appreciate the info. The are DD’s. But one sure is close to looking like a shorthair.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, for normal trail cruising I'll run around in high under 20mph all day long. I've tried using low in that scenario and it's just unbearable. Too much revving for such mild use.

Low when it needs it, of course.

DDGrouser

DDGrouser

May 9, 2021
Other
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Yeah, for normal trail cruising I'll run around in high under 20mph all day long. I've tried using low in that scenario and it's just unbearable. Too much revving for such mild use.

Low when it needs it, of course.
That’s what I thought. It’s not like it’s a Polaris or Yamaha with a CVT (c;

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thanks man, I appreciate the info. The are DD’s. But one sure is close to looking like a shorthair.
Oh yeah man I see them better now my bad. I didnt zoom in to see them close enough. Still great dogs.
I have a couple labs.