Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Rnm - hola. I'm a fellow Utah rider and thought I'd add.

I've had a 2021 P1000-5 LE since January and formerly owned a Teryx 4. The Fox shocks on the LE make a big difference in ride comfort. I think they are absolutely worth it and you can always add better shocks later.

The Teryx seats were four great bucket seats. The bench seat on my Pioneer may not be quite as comfortable as the buckets, but I really didn't think about it until reading this thread. The Pioneer seat is comfortable and we've done a few all-day rides. Once again, I think the great shocks are part of the reason.

Our 100 pound Labrador could not ride in the bucket seats of our Teryx. We now open the door, she walks in and steps up to the middle bench seat. We buckle in and she's right there watching or can lay down curled up. We have a dog harness for safety if we're going to be heroic. For the dog, the bench seat is great.

As for the heat, both the Teryx and Pioneer are great for heated seats in winter. You throw an old sleeping bag across your legs and trap the hot air in when it's cold outside. You can certainly feel the heat in the summer and my next add is to install a fan to blow across the headers. We've had a number of long, 90 plus degree rides and you feel the heat from the seat but it hasn't been bad. I've heard it is worse when you are rock crawling or moving slow for long periods of time. Most of our rides in the heat have been at higher speeds.

Hope this helps.
We have three pups that love to ride, thank God two of them are twenty pounders, when the wife is along the 100+ Airedale goes in the back and with the P!-5 she can get in buy herself.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
My wife doesn't like my Pioneer, didn't like my Talon, and would not go near a motorcycle when I owned an ST1300 or two Goldwings. Women rarely tell you their true opinions and feelings. Understanding women is simply beyond my ability. Your wife may not like noise, getting dirty, or even hanging out with you.

My advice is buy what YOU like and enjoy it. Invite your wife to go along when you ride then go and enjoy it alone. Your wife is probably not going to enjoy riding in any UTV/ATV you buy.

I strongly prefer Honda with DCT real transmissions. I would not own a belt-o-matic machine.

Worse1

Worse1

Jul 14, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My wife doesn't like my Pioneer, didn't like my Talon, and would not go near a motorcycle when I owned an ST1300 or two Goldwings. Women rarely tell you their true opinions and feelings. Understanding women is simply beyond my ability. Your wife may not like noise, getting dirty, or even hanging out with you.

My advice is buy what YOU like and enjoy it. Invite your wife to go along when you ride then go and enjoy it alone. Your wife is probably not going to enjoy riding in any UTV/ATV you buy.

I strongly prefer Honda with DCT real transmissions. I would not own a belt-o-matic machine.
Well said! @HBarlow

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R

This, exactly this. My wife was invited everywhere I went but as time went on, she stood me up over and over, frequently waiting til the morning of departure - I went anyway and never let her absence affect my enjoyment. This included boating, motorcycling and snowmobiling. And then she divorced me for being boring. :oops:

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks good info. I have read of guys doing this and they say it works better than their aftermarket seal kit
I've always wondered if the under-seat heat shields cause any other problems by trapping/reflecting the heat in the engine compartment? Anyone have input?

Also, I store stuff in the driver's side compartment under the seat. Do the reflective heat shields cause any problems getting into the compartment or, worse, channel water into the compartment when washing? I still plan to put a toggle-switched fan underneath to blow across the headers and out back, but would like to hear any other experience.

As a directly related note, it was 88 degrees today in the Grand Staircase and I put 75 miles on my P1k5 in the Johnson Canyon, Nephi Pasture, Skutumpah, and Willis Creek areas. I was alone and my seat was fine, but the back of the middle seat was hot. Not unbearable, but not helping the 88 degrees outside.

I know, photos. Sorry, but don't have any good ones.
This one is on the Willis Creek road, which is just north of the Willis Creek trailhead and runs about 5 miles west of Skutumpah (15 or so south of Cannonville).

If the wildfire smoke hadn't been so bad I'd have taken a shot from the gate at the west end of the Willis Creek road. You look west across a beautiful green field, often populated by working horses (think Budweiser) grazing below, and the heart of the Bryce Canyon National Park rises in the back ground as a beautiful skyline amphitheater. Gasp.

And I took a photo of the water head cut on the road. Sigh.

IMG 2773

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This, exactly this. My wife was invited everywhere I went but as time went on, she stood me up over and over, frequently waiting til the morning of departure - I went anyway and never let her absence affect my enjoyment. This included boating, motorcycling and snowmobiling. And then she divorced me for being boring. :oops:

View attachment 288317

View attachment 288316

No solution, magic potion or DIY Kit from me. I figure myself as being just dumb-a__ lucky where I am and know that doesn't carry for everyone. Wish it did.

But for long, hot, dusty rides with my Missus, I'll share my secret: bathroom with a door.
Don't understand it and the bathroom can be terrifying like a room from a SAW movie - it just needs a door.

We rode 45 dusty miles south from Green River, Utah, hiked Horseshoe Canyon seven miles out and back to the Great Gallery (the rescue point for Aaron Ralston after 127 Hours and a self-amputation). After all that and as we faced 45 dusty miles to get back to Green River - my peace (from hers) is that bathroom with a door.

IMG 2360

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
No solution, magic potion or DIY Kit from me. I figure myself as being just dumb-a__ lucky where I am and know that doesn't carry for everyone. Wish it did.

But for long, hot, dusty rides with my Missus, I'll share my secret: bathroom with a door.
Don't understand it and the bathroom can be terrifying like a room from a SAW movie - it just needs a door.

We rode 45 dusty miles south from Green River, Utah, hiked Horseshoe Canyon seven miles out and back to the Great Gallery (the rescue point for Aaron Ralston after 127 Hours and a self-amputation). After all that and as we faced 45 dusty miles to get back to Green River - my peace (from hers) is that bathroom with a door.

View attachment 288534
This is less than $30.00 and packs 4”x18”…
Carry one with you and no more worries….😊

B6C420A8 5A38 4C28 B56B 79332D40F3E5

Reactions: Mudwing and Lady01
advertisement
Jacks

Jacks

Jan 6, 2020
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I own the P1K-5 D Lux, I’m 6’3” 240 #’s I have rode this buggy through the mountains of Tennessee for HOURS at a time, it’s not that uncomfortable to me or the wife, I also have the stock DLux shocks, (they suck) the LE has the fox shocks which are waaaayyy better so ride should be more comfortable, best thing to do is make a day trip and take the wife check out the buggy, if it’s a no go, take the wife out to a nice dinner and then buy a Jeep. Good luck in your search.
I love the fact that I can open the door and slide right onto the bench seat. Same with getting out. Makes getting in and out effortless which I love. I'm 6-2 250...Seat has just the right amount of leanback for comfort in my opinion. We bought a portable center council that pops in and out. Drive it in town and it is very maneuverable in parking lots.... I don't scream around at mach speeds so it is a very pleasant ride for us.

J

jd83768

Jul 6, 2021
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I have the P1K5 Limited Edition, it rocks! It does what I need it to do. I have kids that enjoy riding it as well. Fun for the family and very spacious. It does get a little noisy but I have a stereo system that blocks out most of the noise. Lets get real here, every machine will rattle and make noise, its an off road machine. I live in Arizona and the heat is brutal here, I keep my windshield up when riding during the morning time or later at night. Too hot to ride during the scorching hot summer days. I mainly use the Pioneer for hunting and trail riding. One thing I can tell you is that during the winter season, that heat comes in real handy! Go with your gut on your decision. Hondas and Yamis are good machines, whatever the decision, it will be a good one. Good luck!
What stereo system do you have?

Worse1

Worse1

Jul 14, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What stereo system do you have?
I have one of these. Not really a stereo per say, bluetooth receiver via my phone.

Reactions: Lady01 and StewB
PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well said! @HBarlow
I agree with the above. My wife complained about the hot seat so I fixed that problem. Then it was the lack of a windshied and nothing to hang onto. Fixed that problem and she actually went on a couple of short group rides. She actually was interested in the possible 2022 AZPT outing and then went on a longer group ride (6 hrs.) and complained about the length of the ride. I explained to her then that she shouldn’t even consider the AZPT ride because those would probably be at least 8 hr rides and then camping.

Reactions: Isaiah and Lady01