P1000 ham radio

D

Dasmoeturhead

I wasn't trying to get you all riled up. Yes, it would be nice to sit on top of a hill somewhere and bust out a long range CQ but I took from your post that you were looking for other options as well. The biggest problem for any radio is dust and from my limited experience with my P1K, it gets dusty. also, having a longer antenna isn't so good for bush bashing which is most of the trails up in my area. Some are just wide enough to get through. I had my 857 with an atlas antenna on my old truck and even found that I had problems with that.
No worries, didn't rile me up at all. Just stating my wants, and how it would work for me.

Reactions: Biteme
Bartman

Bartman

Jun 24, 2016
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The one issue I could see with any HF rig on a SXS is a decent antenna set up, if you had something portable to set up when stationary no problem, but getting a mobile HF antenna to work well on a SXS would be tough. You need really good grounding to get a counterpoise for good performance. It would be fun to do some back woods DX hill topping. My 2 cents on that.

D

Dasmoeturhead

The one issue I could see with any HF rig on a SXS is a decent antenna set up, if you had something portable to set up when stationary no problem, but getting a mobile HF antenna to work well on a SXS would be tough. You need really good grounding to get a counterpoise for good performance. It would be fun to do some back woods DX hill topping. My 2 cents on that.
I've made up an antenna bracket, and did some grounding, and my SWR is 2.1.1 on 10 and 11 meters. 2 meters I run a portable with a longer antenna. Works fine.